PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Area FFL?

waway777
06-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm in L.A. County, specifically in the San Gabriel Valley Area. Can anyone recommend a FFL who doesn't charge a lot on receiving a firearm that I will be buying from another state or PPT from a local? I'm trying to save $$$ as much as I can and I'm torn between buying from my local shops and gunbroker.:confused: Any help will be greatly appreciated

kemasa
06-22-2009, 5:12 PM
Private Party Transfers are limited by law in how much it can cost. It is currently $25 for the DROS and $10 for the FFL, plus sales tax on the FFL fee, even though it is basically a labor cost. This is limited to where the buyer and seller both show up at the dealer.

There is a local gun shop (Simi Valley), Fort Courage Armory, which charges $50 for a transfer (not a PPT) (http://www.fortcouragearmory.com/specials_Us.html).

I am also a FFL, but I just do transfers and special orders.

oldgrumpy
07-01-2009, 3:10 PM
Just called GG in Glendale and was quoted $35.00 plus $15.00 for a lock on a PPT. Turners Pasadena $40.00 with lock. Just a new scam to add to the income.
:( !!!!

kemasa
07-01-2009, 3:17 PM
Are you willing to travel to Simi Valley? If so, Tim at Fort Courage Armory can do the transfer for you or I can also do it for you (just PM me).

If you have a safe or certified lock box, you can fill out the form. Otherwise, you can purchase a lock at some place and bring a copy of the receipt (within 30 days). The law does not say that you have to use the lock nor that you can't return it. The firearm can also come with a certified lock, which is also acceptable.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php

The PPT laws have changed over time due to the abuses by firearms dealers. Originally, many dealers simply refused to process them. Then when forced to do so, they charged for storage and other things. So that was closed down.

There is nothing wrong with charging for a lock though. You need to have a lock (state and federal now). It is stupid, but it is also the law.

blackberg
07-01-2009, 3:32 PM
this is who I use

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=190131

-bb

DNA
07-13-2009, 12:39 PM
+1 to Entreprise.

Dan

kalguns
07-13-2009, 1:43 PM
OC Armory. $55 to receive $35 to DROS $10 each additional long gun.
Working with the guys at OC Armory PRICELESS

kemasa
07-13-2009, 2:02 PM
I hope that the $35 DROS is a typo since it is illegal to misrepresent the DROS fee and that is not what it is. My fees are less than that, especially if you are a member of a firearms rights organization.

TerryC
07-16-2009, 6:52 PM
California gun laws are ridiculous. My mother lives in AZ. All you need is a drivers license, an instant back ground check, pay for the weapon and you walk out of the store with it. Arizona treats it's law abiding citizens like adults. It's amazing what a state border can do.

It's laws like these that creates such a large bureaucracy that it breaks the states budgets. About the only law that makes any sense in CA is the waiting period. I don't have a problem with a cooling off period.

kemasa
07-17-2009, 8:35 AM
The cooling off period does not make any sense. First, if you already own guns, then it is absurd. Second, if you are really that upset, it means you would have to get in a vehicle and drive calmly enough that you don't get pulled over and buy a gun, again being calm enough to have the person sell you the gun and then drive again calmly enough to get to where you want to use the gun. It seems to me that this would be cold blooded murder. All in all this would take quite some time, so how much time is enough to cool off? Third, is the case of civil unrest, such as the LA Riots where the police would not respond to requests, the waiting period will get you killed when it prevents you from protecting yourself.