PDA

View Full Version : First 1911 Questions

thawein1856
06-20-2009, 7:37 AM
So last night I bought my first 1911, a Springfield Loaded Stainless. Bad part is I have to now wait till the 30th to pick it up. Good news is I can start buying the accessories and planning out the remaining items that I want to change on it. That's where I need some help.
1. The Loaded comes with a full length guide rod that you have to use an allan wrench to take a part. I would much prefer to avoid the allan wrench. What would you recommend to change it out for?
2. I'm not all that thrilled with the backstrap on it. The one thing I really liked about the Mil-Spec was that the backstrap was a bit bigger and fit my heand better. Where can I find one that's not a straight backstrap so it fits my hand better? Must be Stainless.
3. Extended Mag Well. I'm thinking about additing one. Pros? Cons? Choice?
4. The Loaded comes with adjustable sights. I think I want to take those ove and go with the novak low mount night sites. Is it best to send the gun out to get that done or is there someone in San Diego that could be trusted to do a good job? I understand that it's going to take a bit of milling on the slide.

Those are the first things I'm thinking of doing to my new queen. If you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Not the best pic but at least it's one to start.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/0619091554.jpg

Thanks....now I just have to wait.

Steyrlp10
06-20-2009, 7:40 AM
Pretty =o)

JTROKS
06-20-2009, 7:46 AM
Check out Midway USA or Brownell's website. Just type 1911 * and you may even buy more than what you're planning now.

It looks like you have Bomar on there now, is this going to be a carry gun? If you really must have fix low mount sights then get the one cut for Bomar. Novak and Bomar cuts are not the same. Your front sight may need replacement too if you are going for low mount. My advice is to go ahead and experiment with the add on mag-well and back strap (main spring housing), keep the factory adjustable sights it's better in my opinion. Get a trigger job instead.

buffybuster
06-20-2009, 8:14 AM
So last night I bought my first 1911, a Springfield Loaded Stainless. Bad part is I have to now wait till the 30th to pick it up. Good news is I can start buying the accessories and planning out the remaining items that I want to change on it. That's where I need some help.
1. The Loaded comes with a full length guide rod that you have to use an allan wrench to take a part. I would much prefer to avoid the allan wrench. [
What would you recommend to change it out for? Replace it with a standard short spring guide and plug. There are one-piece FLGR's but they aren't necessary.

2. I'm not all that thrilled with the backstrap on it. The one thing I really liked about the Mil-Spec was that the backstrap was a bit bigger and fit my heand better. Where can I find one that's not a straight backstrap so it fits my hand better? Must be Stainless. Replace it with an arched mainspring housing. Ironically most people prefer the flat vs arched.

3. Extended Mag Well. I'm thinking about additing one. Pros? Cons? Choice? I don't run one but if you do, get a one-piece mainspring housing and magwell (takes care of #2,#3) All your mags should have bumpers if you're going to run a magwell.

4. The Loaded comes with adjustable sights. I think I want to take those ove and go with the novak low mount night sites. Is it best to send the gun out to get that done or is there someone in San Diego that could be trusted to do a good job? I understand that it's going to take a bit of milling on the slide. The cheapest way would be to buy a 1911 with Novak cuts already. But unless you're going to really be rough the Bo-mar clones should work OK. You can later buy fixed sights for the Bo-mar cut that shouldn't require any milling, just fitting.

Those are the first things I'm thinking of doing to my new queen. If you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Most Important: Buy ammo/reloading components and SHOOT. If something breaks then replace it. Otherwise keep shooting. PS~ Have someone who KNOWS how to properly field strip and reassemble a 1911 show you, so you can avoid the "idiot mark".

Not the best pic but at least it's one to start.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/thawein1856/0619091554.jpg

Thanks....now I just have to wait.

See bold

shootin' nuke
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
+1 for buffy's above comments. The one piece magwell/mainspring housing works very well. Best of luck with you new toy!

john323
06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
PM me I have alot of parts . John

OofieXD
06-20-2009, 2:48 PM
Nice 1911! If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it and how much? I've been thinking of getting one, and since I've sold my AR, I might as well get one.