PDA

View Full Version : More questions about a gun for 19 year old

frankiejoe577
06-20-2009, 1:20 AM
1. How long should my dad own the gun before he does the inter family transfer to me so that it does not look like a straw purchase ?

2. Also I keep hearing about something to do with ammo that it might be harder to get ammo? Will I still be able to go to a store and buy 200 rounds of 9mm if they have it in stock so I can go to the range or stock up my safe at home?

3. Will anyone sell me 9mm ammo since i'm 19 years old?

RolinThundr
06-20-2009, 1:30 AM
You will need to be 21 in order to purchase handgun ammunition (I have yet to see it said otherwise). Ammo stocks are improving as all those freaking out about Obama's election are either letting up or running out of money. After a few more months, ammo should not become scarce again in CA unless the ammo bill (AB962??) passes. There is no time period that you need to wait in order to prevent the appearance of a straw purchase, since it is a transfer from father to son.

frankiejoe577
06-20-2009, 1:34 AM
Can anyone tell me what the switch is for above the trigger a little bit to the left above it? (Not the slide lock(right) the thing on the left) Glock 19

here is the image
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/Glock_19-23_B.jpg

RolinThundr
06-20-2009, 1:38 AM
That's for removing the slide from the frame (disassembly).

frankiejoe577
06-20-2009, 1:41 AM
Thanks :) So with this new law AB962 When I'm 21 Will I be able to buy more then 50 rounds a month or be limited to 50 rounds a month?

Or does the law just apply to the people selling the ammo?

I know if it passes I would have to give thumb print but the thing I want to know is will I be able to get more then 50 a month assuming that I'm 21+ years old.

RolinThundr
06-20-2009, 1:49 AM
I am still working on figuring that out. If you go to the "2nd Amend. Politics and Laws" forum on Calguns you'll find an entire thread dedicated to it. It seems that most understand it to mean that, if the law passes, you will be restricted to purchasing 50 rounds per month. The bill will also terminate the ability to have ammo shipped to you.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 1:55 AM
1. How long should my dad own the gun before he gives it to me so that it does not look like a straw purchase ?

If your dad is buying the handgun for you as a gift then it is not a straw purchase no matter how fast he gives it to you. If you are giving the money to your father to buy the gun for you then it is a straw purchase no matter how long he waits to give it to you.

2. Also I keep hearing about something to do with ammo that it might be harder to get ammo? Will I still be able to go to a store and buy 200 rounds of 9mm if they have it in stock so I can go to the range or stock up my safe at home?

You can't buy 9mm ammo for use in a handgun until you are 21 years old. You can buy 9mm ammo for use in 9mm rifle at age 18 though. Since you only have a 9mm handgun then you will need somebody else to buy 9mm for you and then give it to you. So your dad can give you 9mm ammo for your handgun, but he can't sell you any.

3. Will anyone sell me 9mm ammo since i'm 19 years old?

Ammo vendors can sell 9mm to you if they reasonably believe the ammo is for use in a 9mm rifle. Many will not though, because they think of 9mm as handgun ammo only. And you would have to lie to them anyway, since you don't have a 9mm rifle.

MiguelS
06-20-2009, 6:41 AM
Frankie,

Seems that you are getting a new gun. If you havent already, pull an online manual and read it. It will tell you everything about the gun and safety procedures.

I just purchased two guns and am in my waiting period. But that did not stop me from reading through the manual.

GL&BS

Z ME FLY
06-20-2009, 8:58 AM
so did your parents finally decide to buy you a gun? I remember you talking about how your parents are anti gun and will not buy you one so you were looking into your uncle buying you one. I do not think that is a family transfer so I hope things changed. Have you studied for your hsc? Study that, read the manual for whatever gun you want (you can download the manual online).

frankiejoe577
06-20-2009, 4:27 PM
Yeah It was a surprise for me my dad said, Ok I will get you the hand gun. lol

Librarian
06-20-2009, 6:48 PM
I am still working on figuring that out. If you go to the "2nd Amend. Politics and Laws" forum on Calguns you'll find an entire thread dedicated to it. It seems that most understand it to mean that, if the law passes, you will be restricted to purchasing 50 rounds per month. The bill will also terminate the ability to have ammo shipped to you.

No, not quite.

The bill specifies that unless you are a licensed ammo vendor, you may not transfer more than 50 per month. As it stands today, buying volume is not restricted.

This bill would require that commencing July 1, 2010, unless
specifically excluded, no person shall sell or transfer more than 50
rounds of handgun ammunition in any month unless he or she is
registered as a handgun ammunition vendor, as defined.
See http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_962&sess=0910&house=B&author=de_leon

Turbinator
06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm kinda interested in this topic, because once when I was buying a handgun for my dad, I let it be known to the FFL who was helping me that I was buying it for my dad. He claimed my transaction was a straw purchase and he required my dad actually be the one to DROS the handgun. I know this is not 100% the same scenario as for the OP, but.. I was wondering, based on what I'm reading here, a purchase for the purpose of a transfer from father to son is not a straw purchase no matter what?

Turby

professorhard
06-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I'd say that it is not legally a straw purchase if the firearm is to be gifted to a family member---> parent/child grandparent/grandchild

Quiet
06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm kinda interested in this topic, because once when I was buying a handgun for my dad, I let it be known to the FFL who was helping me that I was buying it for my dad. He claimed my transaction was a straw purchase and he required my dad actually be the one to DROS the handgun. I know this is not 100% the same scenario as for the OP, but.. I was wondering, based on what I'm reading here, a purchase for the purpose of a transfer from father to son is not a straw purchase no matter what?

Turby

It is not a straw purchase.
Next time a FFL says so, show them Section A question 11.a. on page 4 of the ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) Part 1 Revised August 2008 (http://www.atf.gov/press/2008press/100308f4473_pt1_aug2008-sample-rev.pdf) and ask them to explain what's written there.

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer:
For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g.. redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party.
ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES:
Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer "NO" to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer to Mr. Jones.
However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 USC 922(g), (n), or (x).
Please note: EXCEPTION:
If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-21-2009, 1:47 AM
You gotta understand, BATFE has really been pushing "straw purchases" as the biggest problem our country is facing. They send out memos and talk to FFL's in person about stopping straw purchases. Most FFL's are just regular guys and not legal experts, and they are being given instructions by BATFE employees who are also not legal experts. The laws are all too complicated now for most people to understand. Some BATFE schmuck tells dealers that "straw purchases" are when somebody buys a gun for somebody else, and dealers then balk at selling guns to anybody who says the gun is for somebody else, even though guns bought as bona fide gifts don't count as straw purchases under BATFE's own instructions.

Do yourself and the dealer a favor. If you are buying a gun for anybody else, even though it is legal to do so under both California and Federal law, do not tell the dealer that you are buying a gun for somebody else. They are trained to think this is a trap. Just say you are buying the gun for yourself. Then give the gun to your child or parent in full compliance with California law and leave the poor FFL out of it.