PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy from a friend

Dragon
06-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I have a friend that is thinking of selling a handgun that he inherited from his Granfather years ago. he is not into firearms ,so he would like to give it to me.
Its not in my friends name ,so how could we PPT the handgun to me.

thanks .

ck867
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
more info on the gun would definately answer your question.

Dragon
06-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Springfield Armory 45acp.thats all i know have not seen it and friend knows nothing about firearms.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 1:05 AM
I have a friend that is thinking of selling a handgun that he inherited from his Granfather years ago. he is not into firearms ,so he would like to give it to me.
Its not in my friends name ,so how could we PPT the handgun to me.

thanks .

The gun does not need to be registered in his name in order for him to do a PPT with you.

RolinThundr
06-20-2009, 1:58 AM
All PPTs must go through an FFL dealer. Call your local gun store and ask them about conducting a PPT, most dealers will do it. Make sure you confirm with the FFL dealer exactly what the PPT charges are and what paperwork (ID, proof of residency, etc) you and your friend need. You and your friend will need to meet with the FFL dealer at the same time, face to face. You will need to pay a PPT fee and the DROS fee to the FFL dealer and possibly sales taxes, but I believe you can pay your friend directly whatever you owe him (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The FFL dealer conducting the transfer will submit your info for the background check and will hold the gun for the 10 day waiting period. At the end of the waiting period you may pick up your gun, your friend does not have to go with you to pick it up.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 2:15 AM
All PPTs must go through an FFL dealer. Call your local gun store and ask them about conducting a PPT, most dealers will do it. Make sure you confirm with the FFL dealer exactly what the PPT charges are and what paperwork (ID, proof of residency, etc) you and your friend need. You and your friend will need to meet with the FFL dealer at the same time, face to face. You will need to pay a PPT fee and the DROS fee to the FFL dealer and possibly sales taxes, but I believe you can pay your friend directly whatever you owe him (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The FFL dealer conducting the transfer will submit your info for the background check and will hold the gun for the 10 day waiting period. At the end of the waiting period you may pick up your gun, your friend does not have to go with you to pick it up.

If it is a true PPT (both parties are California residents showing up together at the FFL) then California Dealers are required to do the transfer if they sell handguns at all, and the maximum charge is $35.

If your friend is not a California resident then the transfer would not be a PPT and you would first have to find out if the handgun is on the roster or exempt from the roster. If it is then the FFL can decide if he wants to do the transfer or not and he can charge whatever he wants for the transfer.

But the OP did say it was a PPT.