PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper way to transport AR's

ruffstock
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Please give me your opinions......

Ive heard cable locking the magwell through reciever, trigger locking, dissasemble into 2 pcs, or inserting a 10 round magazine in magwell that has a bullet catch installed as options to legally transport. I wanted to get your opinions or poll on what is right and what is going to get me in trouble.

Also Hi cap mags for AR or PISTOLS. Is it a mistametor ? felony ? When you find some on someone that has them do you site them or just confiscate them ? I hear so many different opinions and with California having so many grey areas on gun laws it would be nice to know. Keep in mind we are talking about pulling someone over for speeding, running red light ect. not branishing a weapon, gang activity etc. Youre average Jo Smo that gets pulled over coming back from the range etc.

Thanks for all you comments on this and for doing what you do. As far as all that "COP BASHING" I read about in some previous threads dont let it get to you I just got two freaking tickets this month ( talking on cell phone, and 39 MPH in a 25 MPH ) and I know you guys arent out to make us miserable and allot of people just need to understand that you are'nt there personal body guards but more so out there to keep things in check and take out the trash when needed.

Be safe.....

luckystrike
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Please give me your opinions......

Ive heard cable locking the magwell through reciever, trigger locking, dissasemble into 2 pcs, or inserting a 10 round magazine in magwell that has a bullet catch installed as options to legally transport. I wanted to get your opinions or poll on what is right and what is going to get me in trouble.

Also Hi cap mags for AR or PISTOLS. Is it a mistametor ? felony ? When you find some on someone that has them do you site them or just confiscate them ? I hear so many different opinions and with California having so many grey areas on gun laws it would be nice to know. Keep in mind we are talking about pulling someone over for speeding, running red light ect. not branishing a weapon, gang activity etc. Youre average Jo Smo that gets pulled over coming back from the range etc.

Thanks for all you comments on this and for doing what you do. As far as all that "COP BASHING" I read about in some previous threads dont let it get to you I just got two freaking tickets this month ( talking on cell phone, and 39 MPH in a 25 MPH ) and I know you guys arent out to make us miserable and allot of people just need to understand that you are'nt there personal body guards but more so out there to keep things in check and take out the trash when needed.

Be safe.....

i usually just have it in its case in the back seat of my truck, i dont use a cable lock because the mag has to be out which its then considered "detachable mag", rather get hastled about not having a lock then a detached mag.

ive asked the NRA reps and their like "durrrr dont kno much" or "umm dur we cant give you legal advise"

about the your "bashing" thing this all i can say is ive noticed a lot of em around here that are just here to share their misery with you, but i know of a couple cops that being cops is just their occupation and they still have retained their souls.

hope this helped you out
-Mike

MILLITIAof1
06-25-2009, 2:37 PM
I believe the only rules are
1: In a legal configuration
2: Unloaded

luckystrike
06-25-2009, 3:04 PM
I believe the only rules are
1: In a legal configuration
2: Unloaded

right, i was beginning to beleave there was no proper way of transporting them.

Unit74
06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
If it is disassembled, would it not be "parts" and not an illegal rifle?

My take on it was it had to be an assembled and illegally configured to be in violation.

ro442173
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I just toss mines in the back of the car with no case (I can be pretty rough on my guns). You should be okay as long as there is...

1.) No magazine inserted in the magwell (even an empty magazine) and
2.) There are no rounds in any of the magazines.

Locked and cased is needed if you have it in the backseat (still same set-up as #1&2).

252yft
06-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Since I drive a SUV, I place mine in a Pelican case with two padlocks.

Obviously a Plant
06-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I just toss mines in the back of the car with no case (I can be pretty rough on my guns). You should be okay as long as there is...

I understand "unloaded" to mean without a cartridge in the chamber or an attached feeding device; stock slings have been explicitly defined as not being loaded. The exceptions are if you are a Felon or intend to commit a Felony with the firearm, then any ammo you possess will count as being loaded, or certain Fish & Game regs. that only consider a chambered round in order for a weapon to be loaded.

So why would an empty magazine in the magwell be a problem?
--it is unloaded and has a fixed (tool-detachable) magazine, let the officer try to remove it.

If you are a felon or intend to use a gun to commit a felony, loose ammo or ammo in mags will likely not make a difference...

So, unloaded, with an empty magazine (if you have a bullet-button) is all you need; it can ride next to you, on your gun-rack, in the back seat or the trunk & keep your ammo wherever & however you like.

Ranges & stores often ask you to transport your guns cased, which is never a bad idea, locked-up and out of sight is better.

ro442173
06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
You also can't have a magazine in the magwell when open carrying, this is considered loaded. It's not our defintion of loaded but it is what it is. Trying to make sense of the laws will only get you into trouble.

I understand "unloaded" to mean without a cartridge in the chamber or an attached feeding device; stock slings have been explicitly defined as not being loaded. The exceptions are if you are a Felon or intend to commit a Felony with the firearm, then any ammo you possess will count as being loaded, or certain Fish & Game regs. that only consider a chambered round in order for a weapon to be loaded.

So why would an empty magazine in the magwell be a problem?
--it is unloaded and has a fixed (tool-detachable) magazine, let the officer try to remove it.

If you are a felon or intend to use a gun to commit a felony, loose ammo or ammo in mags will likely not make a difference...

So, unloaded, with an empty magazine (if you have a bullet-button) is all you need; it can ride next to you, on your gun-rack, in the back seat or the trunk & keep your ammo wherever & however you like.

Ranges & stores often ask you to transport your guns cased, which is never a bad idea, locked-up and out of sight is better.

Unit74
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
And just be aware that any gun can be lawfully inspected by a peace officer when carried in public. If it's in view, it can be inspected. Since there is a reduced expectation of privacy in a vehicle than say, your house, if your driving a gun around and are stopped, then you are subject to inspection.

So, don't drive around with it illegally configured. You could get burned.

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow there's a lot of UBER-FUD in this thread, short as it is.

*To legally transport a (legally configured) AR in CA:

1. Gun must not be loaded (having an empty mag in the magwell IS OK and is in fact recommended if you're using a bullet button to legally-configure your AR).

2. See #1. That's it- it's a rifle and only the rifle rules apply there are no special restrictions.

*For UOC:

1. A mag in the magwell IS OK, so long as there are no bullets in it.

2. See number one. That's it. For UOC you can have loaded mags so long as they are NOT in the mag well, and you CAN have an unloaded mag in the mag well if you want (many do this to create the illusion that the gun is loaded to add to the "crime deterrent" factor of UOC, others just want to keep dirt out).

Easy-peasy. Search function is nice- there are a lot of threads that cover this, especially in the centerfire rifles forum when it comes to the AR rules. you can also query Google using a format like "site:calguns.net transporting an AR" just change the words "transporting an AR" to whatever you want to search for and leave "site:calguns.net" alone.

ETA: Make sure you're obeying the federal and state "school zone" rules. Everything else is moot if you break one of those!

ro442173
06-26-2009, 2:10 PM
Wow there's a lot of UBER-FUD in this thread, short as it is.

*To legally transport a (legally configured) AR in CA:

1. Gun must not be loaded (having an empty mag in the magwell IS OK and is in fact recommended if you're using a bullet button to legally-configure your AR).

2. See #1. That's it- it's a rifle and only the rifle rules apply there are no special restrictions.

*For UOC:

1. A mag in the magwell IS OK, so long as there are no bullets in it.

2. See number one. That's it. For UOC you can have loaded mags so long as they are NOT in the mag well, and you CAN have an unloaded mag in the mag well if you want (many do this to create the illusion that the gun is loaded to add to the "crime deterrent" factor of UOC, others just want to keep dirt out).

Easy-peasy. Search function is nice- there are a lot of threads that cover this, especially in the centerfire rifles forum when it comes to the AR rules. you can also query Google using a format like "site:calguns.net transporting an AR" just change the words "transporting an AR" to whatever you want to search for and leave "site:calguns.net" alone.

ETA: Make sure you're obeying the federal and state "school zone" rules. Everything else is moot if you break one of those!

Wow man, you're right. I guess I'm following the outdated definition of "loaded." I'm gonna have to do some more reading. Thanks for making some sense out of all this... I'm just happy I don't have to worry about inspecting all mags before leaving the range.

sorensen440
06-26-2009, 2:11 PM
same as any other legal long gun

Unloaded

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 2:13 PM
Wow man, you're right. I guess I'm following the outdated definition of "loaded." I'm gonna have to do some more reading. Thanks for making some sense out of all this... I'm just happy I don't have to worry about inspecting all mags before leaving the range.

I thought the same thing. Some gun-shop owner told me when I bought my first handgun that I couldn't have ANY loaded mags (for a rifle OR a handgun), that the gun and empty mags had to be locked in one container, and that the ammunition (not in mags) had to be locked in ANOTHER container!

I laugh at myself when I think back on how much I believed that, and how careful I was to follow the rules. Rifle's are easy tho- just unloaded.

ro442173
06-26-2009, 2:21 PM
I thought the same thing. Some gun-shop owner told me when I bought my first handgun that I couldn't have ANY loaded mags (for a rifle OR a handgun), that the gun and empty mags had to be locked in one container, and that the ammunition (not in mags) had to be locked in ANOTHER container!

I laugh at myself when I think back on how much I believed that, and how careful I was to follow the rules. Rifle's are easy tho- just unloaded.

I wasn't told about the separate locked containers, I was told they're okay together as long as no mag in the well and no round in the mag.

I want to thank you for making me want to dig in further into this and not just take the word of people, even if they're trusted friends. I think the older guys that have no internet are a little outdated in their knowledge... can't really blame them as the laws are just crazy.

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 3:05 PM
I wasn't told about the separate locked containers, I was told they're okay together as long as no mag in the well and no round in the mag.

I want to thank you for making me want to dig in further into this and not just take the word of people, even if they're trusted friends. I think the older guys that have no internet are a little outdated in their knowledge... can't really blame them as the laws are just crazy.

'welcome!

To be clear though you don't have to have the stuff in separate containers, just so long as whatever container your handgun is in is locked (and a truck counts as a locked container, but a glove compartment or center console does not) and there are no loaded mags in the mag well you're good. I was just recalling the misinformation that was given to me when I first started buying firearms. The stuff about two different locked containers isn't correct.

fuegoslow
07-22-2009, 7:49 AM
So, arriving at a local gunshop to have some work done on an AR upper, I get asked to have my weapon cleared. Sure, no problem. When I open my case and the magwell is open, a 10/30 magazine next to it,(for gunsmith diagnosis), I'm told I must have the empty magazine inserted into the magwell or my AR-15 would be considered an Assault Weapon! WTF! I quickly inserted the magazine into the lower, which has a Raddlock to avoid any further eyebrow raises. Was the gunshop clerk correct or ???

Gator Monroe
07-22-2009, 8:03 AM
same as any other legal long gun

Unloaded

In a case (Double rifle) but alone with one tiny "Master" padlock locking the case in Trunk of car or back of Grand Cherokee with all seats in standard configuration unless I have lotsa gear & such .

MasterYong
07-22-2009, 9:39 AM
So, arriving at a local gunshop to have some work done on an AR upper, I get asked to have my weapon cleared. Sure, no problem. When I open my case and the magwell is open, a 10/30 magazine next to it,(for gunsmith diagnosis), I'm told I must have the empty magazine inserted into the magwell or my AR-15 would be considered an Assault Weapon! WTF! I quickly inserted the magazine into the lower, which has a Raddlock to avoid any further eyebrow raises. Was the gunshop clerk correct or ???

Clerk was INCORRECT, IIRC- but it's still a good practice to keep a mag in the lower to avoid a lengthy explanation to any potential LEOs that you come in contact with. If there is a mag in the magwell, and an LEO can't remove the mag by pushing the button, then it's fixed in the eyes of most LEOs.

An FFL in my area has the same impression, in fact he even told me that a DOJ agent that came to his shop for some other reason actually told him that a mag had to be in the magwell, even with a BB or Raddlock, or the AR would be considered an AW.

From what I've read here on CG, with PC cited, it's just not true that you have to keep a mag in the magwell (during transport/storage), but it's a good idea nonetheless. What could it hurt, right?

cjskalka
07-22-2009, 5:58 PM
It doesn't matter so long as you have a bullet button or similar device. When I say similar I mean, operates exactly like the BB, not one of those mag locks that can be backed out with a screw. When its in this state it is not a detachable mag situation its an attachable magazine situation (see the definition of 'Detachable Magazine').