PDA

View Full Version : Reblueing Grandfather's Colt 1911

aval64
06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
I want to have my grandfather's 1911 reblued (original has rubbed off, and slide has some pitting), but am not sure where I can get it done, or how much it would cost. I would like to get the really nice high polish blue, the kind seen on custom shop pistols. The pistol does not get much use, but everytime my father looks at it, he gets misty and I know he would really like it restored to its original condition (he always talks about how nice it was when my grandfather got it). I'd like to get it restored, and give it to him in a very nice presentation case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Art

BunnySlayer
06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will completely destroy any collector value the gun has. Even with pitting and such it's worth much more as is. Just put down the bottle of cold blue and step away from the bench. Seriously, if you want a shooter get another gun and keep Gramps' piece as is. Carefully take some solvent soaked rags and remove any surface rust and don't worry about the pitting. Just don't do it. Now having said that if you simply insist Doug Turnbull is the only one I know of who has the Colt bluing down just like they did it in theold days. He can probably make it look as it once did. He specializes in restoring historical firearms but he's anything but cheap. Still an all your Grandpas peice should be kept as it is. Memories are better than shiny finishes. Those are what's putting the mist in your Dads eyes when he looks at it.

paul0660
06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Fer chrissakes, make it nice for the old man. Purists are fast and loose with opinions about other people's guns, and especially their "collectability". If you do the real right thing, and keep it in the family, when it got reblued is going to have less than nothing to do with its value. Let us know more about where you are (Central Cal is pretty big) and someone will have a clue about where to go.

The SoCal Gunner
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM

You will completely destroy any collector value the gun has. Even with pitting and such it's worth much more as is.

And what value is that? Depends on which Colt doesn't it?

Most likely you'll need to send it out if you want nice bluing. Other options are black nickel or black chrome.

I hear Fords custom guns does really nice bluing.

BunnySlayer
06-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't listen to these evil beings. They are devils spawn who will lead you down the road to polymer guns and other sinfull paths. Take the gun and have it appraised first. Then if you really insist do as you will.

scootergmc
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM

You will completely destroy any collector value the gun has. Even with pitting and such it's worth much more as is. Just put down the bottle of cold blue and step away from the bench. Seriously, if you want a shooter get another gun and keep Gramps' piece as is. Carefully take some solvent soaked rags and remove any surface rust and don't worry about the pitting.

I once had a guy at a gun shop tell me the same thing about my grandpa's old .22. I let him opine and went about my business.

My opinion was this: It's my grandpa's gun, and it now belongs to me. I'd like to restore it to a somewhat original state. Collector value means nothing to me when it comes to family heirlooms. I can't control what happens to it after I'm gone, nor will I be in any position to care.

I want to have my grandfather's 1911 reblued (original has rubbed off, and slide has some pitting), but am not sure where I can get it done, or how much it would cost. I would like to get the really nice high polish blue, the kind seen on custom shop pistols. The pistol does not get much use, but everytime my father looks at it, he gets misty and I know he would really like it restored to its original condition (he always talks about how nice it was when my grandfather got it). I'd like to get it restored, and give it to him in a very nice presentation case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Art

Honestly Art, I'd check with your father before doing any work to the gun. Maybe he would rather have it as is. I reckon it's probably the memories that are most important. A presentation case without the refinish is always a possibility. Maybe find an old pic of your dad and grandpa shooting together? On a camping trip? Put the pic in with the gun in a shadowbox type frame...along with other pieces of your grandpa's? Maybe a watch/fob? Pocketknife? Belt buckle? Just some ideas.... Custom frame shops can come up with some neat presentation ideas. I'd also check with them. Be advised, it's not cheap! But whatever you decide to do, I'd check with dad first.

aval64
06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Well my brothers and I are not worried about it's "collector's value" as the sentimental value far more exceeds any monetary value it may (which I don't think is much since it was made after WWII and is just a plain jane 45 ACP) have. I am located in Merced County, but don't mind sending it out. Thanks again for your suggestions.

-Art

aval64
06-19-2009, 10:52 PM
My brothers and I have discussed it with my father in the past, and he definitely wanted it reblued. Scootergmc said it perfectly. This is not leaving the family in my lifetime, as it was the only thing my grandfather left my dad (they were very poor).

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 2:02 AM
People refinishing collectible guns is an important part of gun collecting. Think about it. If every single M1911 made was still in original condition, then they would all still only be worth about $600.

WWI U.S. Navy issue? $600.
1920's commercial model, plus original ACE conversion kit? $825.

Collectible stuff only goes up in value because 99% of the stuff gets lost, broken, played with, refinished over the years. By refinishing Grandpa's Colt, you are making yourself and your father happy, and making everybody else's original Colts go up in value slightly.

It is a win/win situation.

doc540
06-20-2009, 7:29 AM
$375, Royal Blue from Colt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/coltROYALblue.jpg

Hopes this helps answer your question.

JTROKS
06-20-2009, 7:52 AM

If you're going to refinish it because it will be handed down to the next generation then on and on, I say get the black chrome, black diamond, hard chrome or NP3. Seeing how nice that bluing is it will probably just sit in the safe instead of teaching the young 'uns how to shoot. Give it the protection of a lifetime. Here is an interesting story: http://www.thegunzone.com/diamond_like_coating.html

Mac Attack
06-20-2009, 9:11 AM
If it is a USGI 1911 then I would leave it as is. However, if the gun is not then I would blue away.

paladin4415
06-20-2009, 9:16 AM
Phil is one of the best there has ever been.

http://www.gunbluing.com/

J-cat
06-20-2009, 9:43 AM

+1

Send it back to Colt. At least you can be sure they won't mess it up.

SimpleCountryActuary
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM

(whirl, whirl, whirl, whirl, whirl .... Hey! Why's John Browning spinning?)