PDA

View Full Version : CA gun Laws - I live in LA

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 6:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

There is something important to me and I really need someone to help me out.

I have been doing some research on the internet, pertaining to gun laws in CA (where I'm a resident).

Basically, I wanted to find out what is the law, when it comes to storing a gun at home.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

I found out that the only law pertaining to home storage, is that one must ensure that a child will not be able to get ahold of a firearm (basically, the gun owner must lock up the gun itself, or place the gun in a locked room/or container).

Since I don't have any children, and no kids will come to my home, is it safe (and legal), for me to have guns in an unlocked container at home?

I also have a second question: it says that if I am transporting a gun, it must be in a locked container, sitting in the trunk of my car.
This I understand.
But let's say that I plan on going to the grocery store, or Walmart, before I go to the range. Am I allowed to do this? (leave the gun in a locked container in trunk of car, while I go shopping).
Is it okay, that I go to school (go to class all day), before I go to the range at night (after school), while keeping the gun in a locked container in the trunk of my car, in the school parking lot?

Please help me understand this matter -- its really important to me.

Thanks a million.

L-2
06-19-2009, 7:07 PM
1. Home. Yes. Basically, do what you want in your own home. You've already addressed the children in your home issue.
2. Car. Not completely accurate. Not enough info for accurate answering; too many variables. Suggestion, more searching & reading on calguns.net.
-trunk OR locked container for CONCEALED handguns-good. You might need the locked container just to get the handgun to your trunk, though.
-grocery store/Walmart-sounds OK even though the PC 12026 states "directly" (to range, etc.).
-school parking lot-depends on the school, I suppose, but otherwise, should be OK (again the "directly" wording is there, but to what degree is it enforceable/reasonable/defined).

In your original post, you referred to the firearm merely as a "gun". The answers could differ between long guns and handguns.

Librarian
06-19-2009, 7:09 PM
Basically, I wanted to find out what is the law, when it comes to storing a gun at home.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

I found out that the only law pertaining to home storage, is that one must ensure that a child will not be able to get ahold of a firearm (basically, the gun owner must lock up the gun itself, or place the gun in a locked room/or container).

Since I don't have any children, and no kids will come to my home, is it safe (and legal), for me to have guns in an unlocked container at home?
Yes, that's legal.
I also have a second question: it says that if I am transporting a gun, it must be in a locked container, sitting in the trunk of my car.
Not quite. If you choose to transport a HANDGUN concealed, you will not be charged with violating the 'carry concealed' law if you do that inside a locked case.

The locked case can be anywhere at all in your vehicle; the trunk is merely convenient.
But let's say that I plan on going to the grocery store, or Walmart, before I go to the range. Am I allowed to do this? (leave the gun in a locked container in trunk of car, while I go shopping).
Yes. Don't carry the locked case around on foot unless you're going to/from someplace it's legal for you to shoot.

Is it okay, that I go to school (go to class all day), before I go to the range at night (after school), while keeping the gun in a locked container in the trunk of my car, in the school parking lot?
NO - violates the Gun Free School Zone law - no guns or ammo on school campuses - including parking lots - without written permission from school principal, UC Chancellor, CSU President (or CCW, for handguns). Park off campus is OK, but the risk of break in is a concern to address.

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 7:36 PM
Hi Guys!

Thanks a million for all your help.

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/coordrev/policy/8-16-99gun.html\

Basically, this means that:
1)I can store the hand gun anyway I want (even unlocked) in my own home, as long as kids don't come over.
2)I must put my handgun in a locked case, when transporting it (walking it) to my car. The locked case can be anywhere in my car - not just the trunk. It can be in the passenger seat.
3) People can't bring guns to school property.

Thanks a million again! You guys rule.

lorax3
06-19-2009, 7:51 PM
Basically, this means that:
1)I can store the hand gun anyway I want (even unlocked) in my own home, as long as kids don't come over.
2)I must put my handgun in a locked case, when transporting it (walking it) to my car. The locked case can be anywhere in my car - not just the trunk. It can be in the passenger seat.
3) People can't bring guns to school property.

1. When inside your home there is little restriction on how weapons can be stored. They can be unlocked, loaded and hidden under the couch. Loaded, unloaded, locked up or not, those questions are not relevant while you are inside your home.

2. Correct. The trunk is considered a locked compartment in itself. That is if you have a separate locking trunk, the kind you find in most sedans. So you do not need to have a locked container inside an already locking trunk. Although the gun will already be in a locked container before you leave your house. Yes, the locked container can be stored anywhere in your car. Front seat, trunk, back seat..etc.

3. Unless you are otherwise exempt, such as an LEO, or have permission from the school then no - you cannot.

Sam
06-19-2009, 7:56 PM
Also of note is that long arms do not have to be inside a locked container. Shesh, thinking about being forced to lockup or keep unable for quick use a firearm inside the home is scary.

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 8:21 PM
Hey guys, thanks a lot.

There's just something that I've been reading - that in CA (LA), when you transport a gun (say, to the range), you must drive directly to the range.

Let's say, that its sunday, and I decide to go to church before I go to the range. Or its Friday night, and I want to get dinner before I go to the range. in both cases, I don't want to go all the way back home to get the gun. Just so I understand this correctly - this is a violation of the law and is illegal, right?

Librarian
06-19-2009, 8:42 PM
Hey guys, thanks a lot.

There's just something that I've been reading - that in CA (LA), when you transport a gun (say, to the range), you must drive directly to the range.

Let's say, that its sunday, and I decide to go to church before I go to the range. Or its Friday night, and I want to get dinner before I go to the range. in both cases, I don't want to go all the way back home to get the gun. Just so I understand this correctly - this is a violation of the law and is illegal, right?
If you leave it locked in the car, it will not usually be illegal - there's that school thing again and some possibilities like state parks where it's illegal to bring a gun.

If you haul it out of the car in its locked case, and carry it with you through the mall and into the park and to dinner and back to the car, there's some likelihood that would be illegal, but it isn't completely clear. Thus my earlier comment about on foot, be going to or from someplace where it it legal to shoot.

flatovercrest
06-19-2009, 8:50 PM
2. Correct. The trunk is considered a locked compartment in itself. That is if you have a separate locking trunk, the kind you find in most sedans. So you do not need to have a locked container inside an already locking trunk. Although the gun will already be in a locked container before you leave your house. Yes, the locked container can be stored anywhere in your car. Front seat, trunk, back seat..etc.

What about a locked front glovebox. Can that be considered a locked container?
Can the gun be inside a locked container (glovebox or truck), loaded?

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 9:03 PM

Good questions bro,

I definetely think the answer is No to the first question (someone else would need to confirm that).

I also think the answer is no to the second - but I'm not completely sure.

nick
06-19-2009, 9:13 PM
For schools, the Safe School Zone applies to K-12 schools, just to clarify. Colleges usually ban guns on campus though, so parking in the campus parking structures probably won't work too well. Parking on the street should though.

Also, if it's locked, it's exempt from the Safe School Zone crap.

For long guns CA Safe School Zone crap doesn't apply, but the federal law does, I believe.

Librarian
06-19-2009, 9:13 PM

NO.

Trunk, yes. Glove box, no. Center console, no.
See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

And NEVER loaded, unless you have CCW.
See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 9:28 PM
For schools, the Safe School Zone applies to K-12 schools, just to clarify. Colleges usually ban guns on campus though, so parking in the campus parking structures probably won't work too well. Parking on the street should though.

Also, if it's locked, it's exempt from the Safe School Zone crap.

For long guns CA Safe School Zone crap doesn't apply, but the federal law does, I believe.

Wait a minute, are you saying that I'm allowed to keep the gun in my trunk in locked container, while parking in university parking lot? As long as the gun is locked?

Sam
06-19-2009, 9:45 PM
Wait a minute, are you saying that I'm allowed to keep the gun in my trunk in locked container, while parking in university parking lot? As long as the gun is locked?

It is usually against university policy to have firearms on campus.

Librarian
06-19-2009, 10:06 PM
It is usually against university policy to have firearms on campus.

It's almost always against the law for non-LEO, non-CCW to have firearms on college/university property.

PC 626.9 is named "the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.", but the 'Zone' part applies only to K-12.

The PC generally banning firearms on college/university property is 626.9(h) and (i) - part of the "Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995".

See yet another link:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones

nick
06-19-2009, 10:12 PM
It's almost always against the law for non-LEO, non-CCW to have firearms on college/university property.

PC 626.9 is named "the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.", but the 'Zone' part applies only to K-12.

The PC generally banning firearms on college/university property is 626.9(h) and (i) - part of the "Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995".

See yet another link:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones

One learns something new every day here, thanks.

The only difference with the K-12 schools is that there's no "safety zone" around the college campuses, so parking on the street that's not part of it is still ok. Unless there's that pesky K-12 school nearby :)

nick
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM

No, but on the street outside of the campus, yes.