PDA

View Full Version : The Department Armorer...

Requiem
06-19-2009, 3:17 PM
So, I'm not sure how it works in the LEA world with the maintainence of firearms issued. Is it like the military and the armorer is one of the guys he maintains the weapons for? Or is the armorer a hired civilian working at the department?

The reason I ask is I'm somewhat interested in such a position. So if it is a hired civilian, what are the usual qualifications/requirements for such work?

goathead
06-19-2009, 3:19 PM
the armorer for local S.O. work out of the range

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-19-2009, 3:20 PM
In my former department's case, deputies who had already been assigned collateral duty as rangemasters also served as armorers. No one did it full time.

Other departments do it differently.

BigDogatPlay
06-19-2009, 3:43 PM
In all but the largest agencies, the armorer position is an additional duty and not a full time assignment. I've known some small and rural agencies that assigned the duty to a reserve... who also happened to be an FFL or a gunsmith.

SVT-40
06-19-2009, 4:03 PM
I was the armorer for my department for 15 tears before I retired. It was a collateral assignment to my other assignments.

Never heard of a "civilian" armorer in any So. Calif agency. Maybe a "reserve" assignment but no straight paid civilian non sworn armorer positions.

Jonathan Doe
06-19-2009, 4:15 PM
They are sworn forthe most part, mostly assigned to the weapons training unit. I was an instructor, and worked as an on site armorer for the range, replacing broken parts.

Ron-Solo
06-19-2009, 4:29 PM
LASD is a full time position and the deputy receives bonus II pay for the position. I worked patrol years ago with the current armorer. Great guy!

bubbagump
06-19-2009, 4:46 PM
The Department Armorer/Rangemaster at Downey PD was an officer. From what I remember, he spent a lot of time at the range (Rio Hondo Range). You had to test into that assignment.

retired
06-19-2009, 5:55 PM
LASD is a full time position and the deputy receives bonus II pay for the position. I worked patrol years ago with the current armorer. Great guy!

The one before him was a classmate of mine and worked SEB for 10yrs. prior to becoming an assistant armorer. He became the armorer when the armorer who had been there since I was new, finally retired IIRC.

FLIGHT762
06-19-2009, 6:28 PM
I was the armorer for my department for 15 tears before I retired. It was a collateral assignment to my other assignments.

Never heard of a "civilian" armorer in any So. Calif agency. Maybe a "reserve" assignment but no straight paid civilian non sworn armorer positions.

Same here. We are a small agency(50 sworn). I would maintain the firearms, do the purchasing of the firearms and ammunition. This was in addition to my regular duties. No extra pay. I was also the head Rangemaster for over 20 years.
No civilian positions.

nobody33
06-19-2009, 7:55 PM

San Bernardino PD has a civilian rangmaster I believe (or did three years ago). It was a retired military or LE guy from what I recall.

Mine has around 10 full time officers.

tyrist
06-19-2009, 11:43 PM
For us the armorers are a member of the firearms training staff and do armory duty as well as training and qualifications. All of them are full time sworn employees.

aippi
06-20-2009, 7:03 PM
We had an Armory Sergeant that also, ran the range, was firarms instructor and got stuck with more unrelated duties then anyone. I filled in for him when I was Sergeant and knew just enough to know I did not want that position. Other then the fact it was Admin **** with Saturday, Sunday and holidays off and mostly 8-5 it was a lot of responsiblity, a lot of work and no thanks from anyone. Add the fact that a lot of officers treat a weapon like an NHL player treats a Hockey puck ( don't jump me guys ) and your are responsible for all of it, it takes a guy that really wants it to do the job. For most departments you would have to become a Certified LEO, start at the bottom and prove yourself over the years by picking up the certifications required for the job. The chances of you walking in off the street and picking up an Amorers job with any Department large enough to have a dedicated position for that post is about the same as the NRA backing O'bama for a second term. but don't let that keep you from going for it and if you are a young guy and can start out in the Military, Active or Reserves as an Armorer that gives you a heads up over most others once you have been in an Agency or Department for a few years.... Don't let no one tell you that you can't do somthing that you want to do....go for it.....

06-20-2009, 7:20 PM
Our house has a full time range master/armorer. He is retired USMC. Never been a police officer...

paladin4415
06-20-2009, 7:35 PM
We had a full time civilian armorer for many years until he got himself fired over some very stupid stuff about 6-7 years ago. They never filled his position and now the range instructors (all sworn) handle the job.