PDA

View Full Version : AMT Hardballer Serial # 1 fs on gb!

freonr22
06-19-2009, 1:00 PM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131924409

JTROKS
06-19-2009, 1:08 PM
It's in Illinois. This will be available for sale to LEOs only in CA. Unless AMT made it on the safety roster.

goathead
06-19-2009, 1:10 PM
cool 45

freonr22
06-19-2009, 1:13 PM
is it possible to be a collectors item as it is sn#1? ie c&r?

Fantasma
06-19-2009, 1:19 PM
It boasts accuracy surpassing the best of the Gold Cups. These are well-made and were very affordable. Everyone wanted one. They had adjustable target sights, an extended safety, a machine-serrated matte rib, a loaded chamber indicator, a long grip safety, checkered walnut grips, a beveled magazine weld, a serrated frame, and a wide adjustable trigger. It weighs 39 ounces. The gun is is 5.5 inches high and 8.5 inches long.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-19-2009, 1:53 PM
It boasts accuracy surpassing the best of the Gold Cups. These are well-made and were very affordable. Everyone wanted one. They had adjustable target sights, an extended safety, a machine-serrated matte rib, a loaded chamber indicator, a long grip safety, checkered walnut grips, a beveled magazine weld, a serrated frame, and a wide adjustable trigger. It weighs 39 ounces. The gun is is 5.5 inches high and 8.5 inches long.

That's what it boasted... but I had one and it was a LEMON. Many FTFs, FTEs, even with hardball ammo. Couldn't get it fixed by AMT, couldn't get it fixed by any reputable 'smith in the area, none would work on it. Sold it at a loss. I wasn't the only one, I knew two other deputies who bought them and their experiences were identical to mine.

Collector's item? Personally, I think not, but I'm sure someone with more money than sense will pay far too much for it - that's the nature of auctions.

freonr22
06-19-2009, 2:07 PM
I have a longslide and am really really happy with it. ive heard many people say it was hit or miss, but mine has been great

SCMA-1
06-19-2009, 2:23 PM
I think it potentially was a very accurate 1911 for a very good price, but there were some inconsistencies in QC. I purchased my Hardballer in the mid 80's for $259. I must have received one of the better ones because it's been very reliable and quite accurate, although I eventually replaced the barrel bushing to tighten it up. I've also optimized it over the years with the custom parts I like; as you can see, it's no safe queen.

Here are some pics:

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/webbiz1/IMG_1168.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/webbiz1/IMG_1169.jpg

B Strong
06-19-2009, 6:06 PM
That's what it boasted... but I had one and it was a LEMON. Many FTFs, FTEs, even with hardball ammo. Couldn't get it fixed by AMT, couldn't get it fixed by any reputable 'smith in the area, none would work on it. Sold it at a loss. I wasn't the only one, I knew two other deputies who bought them and their experiences were identical to mine.
Collector's item? Personally, I think not, but I'm sure someone with more money than sense will pay far too much for it - that's the nature of auctions.

Every AMT I've ever owned was a "fixer-upper" Even out of the box they needed work.

My experience is identical to yours.

JTROKS
06-19-2009, 6:23 PM
I have an IAI Javelina w/ 7" barrel longslide and it worked great from the start. It was accurate giving 1.5" groups at 25 yards, but some of my complaints were the slide and frame being on the loose side and the rattling bugged me. The sandblasted finished didn't do anything for me, but beadblasting it will remove all markings except for the serial number. Other than that it's a great shooter and accounted for a whitetail doe, the full power 10mm round is good enough, knocked her down with one round and only needed one more to stop her breathing. Sorry for the off track.

I did know someone who bought one that had a tighter slide to frame fit and he had troubles from day one. The gun just wouldn't cycle properly if he forgets to lube the rails. I'm thinking the problem is galling and getting it hardcromed or something similar and slick will cure it.

Spyder
06-19-2009, 6:26 PM
I've got a bunch of automags that I LOVE. That hardballer will go for quite a bit. The guy that owned the company and had a bunch to do with production died a year or two ago and they've slowly been selling off all of the serial number one and one-off and rare stuff for multiple thousands of dollars.

I'd buy it, if it wasn't serial number one, 'cause then it'd go for a reasonable price. I won't be surprised if this thing goes over five grand.

hellraiser
06-19-2009, 6:47 PM
this will be fun to watch.... function dont matter with this one ... its destined to be locked in a safe for another 30 years....

Texwanders
06-19-2009, 6:48 PM

The AMT Hardballer was the first 1911 I ever bought, and the first I ever sold. It once jammed so badly that I had to beat it apart with a hammer. I may watch the GB auction out of curiosity, but sure as heck won't lose any sleep over it...

SCMA-1
06-19-2009, 7:09 PM
I distinctly remember I read way back that there was some issues with galling on the earlier models (similar metals may gall). They subsequently changed the stainless steel formulation with either the slide or frame and that took care of the problem. I've experienced no galling with my 25 year old specimen even with many thousands of rounds through it. Mine has always been slightly loose between frame and slide but contrary to popular belief, this situaiton doesn't affect accuracy but can actually adversely affect reliability if it's too tight.

SCMA-1

Texwanders
06-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I distinctly remember I read way back that there was some issues with galling on the earlier models (similar metals may gall). They subsequently changed the stainless steel formulation with either the slide or frame and that took care of the problem.
SCMA-1

Correct. Stainless is "stainless" because the chromium in the surface tends to chemically bind agressively when it is exposed. If just exposed to air, it forms the passive layer of metal that resists further chemical attack. When it is running against another piece of the same alloy, the metals can actually chemically bind to one another, and zip, they ain't moving.

I was once working on taking apart a truck fender, and there was a stainless nut and bolt to be removed. They were tightened normally, and a couple moments later were loosened - or rather I tried to loosen them. The nut and bolt must of been from the same alloy, and had no lube, because they literally just froze; I eventually twisted off the bolt because the nut wouldn't budge further. It was almost freaky when it happened, self welding metal :eek:

I know a lot more about 1911's than I did 20 years ago, and I suppose if an unloved AMT came into my possession at a cheap price, I might try it to make it run well. I'd start with lots of really good synthetic lube on it, and then try a dry film lube if I had any trouble.