PDA

View Full Version : Colt Detective Special

Fatbot
04-07-2005, 5:47 AM
Greetings

I am new to the world of firearms and have recently been thinking about puchasing my first handgun. I recently used a friends Detective Special whilst in Nevada and was thinking of getting one of them. Sadly it is not on the "list".

Is there any way that I could purchase one of these beauties while living in California? Or is it a case of either what's on the list or nothing?

Many thanks for your assistance.
Fatbot

Fatbot
04-07-2005, 5:47 AM
Greetings

I am new to the world of firearms and have recently been thinking about puchasing my first handgun. I recently used a friends Detective Special whilst in Nevada and was thinking of getting one of them. Sadly it is not on the "list".

Is there any way that I could purchase one of these beauties while living in California? Or is it a case of either what's on the list or nothing?

Many thanks for your assistance.
Fatbot

snwnme@realguns.com
04-07-2005, 6:02 AM
Me thinks the gun has to be in Kalifornia in the possession of a Kali resident for him to sell it to you.

bwiese
04-07-2005, 9:19 AM
Yup.

For non-listed guns, if your friend wants to sell it to you he essentially has to become a Calif. resident. Out-of-staters can't do private-party transfers in CA.

Long guns and single-action revolvers with more than 5 rounds and bbl length 3" or greater are exempt from these, and you can just have them shipped to your FFL dealer.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

S.F. 1357
04-07-2005, 1:52 PM
You can buy it in CA but it has to be through one of two ways:

-a Private Party Transfer with another CA resident

-a consignment sale through a licenced FFL. These are usually the used handguns you see in the shops. They're essentially Private Party Tranfers but the seller leaves the gun for display at the shop and the dealer handles the sale and transfer.

BTW, if you can find a DS that's older than 50 years it's considered a Curio & Relic and exempt from the above two restrictions. You can actually have an FFL bring one in from another state.

bear
04-07-2005, 2:57 PM
There are several models of Smith & Wesson revolvers that would be very close to what you fired that ARE on the list.

Maybe some Taurus or other brands. Decide what feature it is you like, the barrel length? the weight? blue vs. stainless?

Sort the CA DOJ list by caliber, and then try by barrel length.

You're bound to find something legal that would be comparable.

Then again, hit up all the local gunshows. You can find them used. Try gunbroker.com gunsamerica.com, search for "only in CA". Eventually you will get a hit. Every gun made is already here, you just have to be patient, and thorough, and somebody will be selling one, sometime.

Fatbot
04-07-2005, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Much appreciated. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards
Fatbot