PDA

View Full Version : buying guns out of state

bob1234
03-02-2005, 1:12 PM
on one of the other posts a guy was asking about buying a AW in nevada and modifying it in Ca to be legal, which would be illegal etc. any way question i have is, aren't you required to be a resident of a state to buy firearms in that state, in other words be able to show a state I.D to purchase firearms in that state, not planning on it of course i already have a mak-90 legally regestered.

bob1234
03-02-2005, 1:12 PM
on one of the other posts a guy was asking about buying a AW in nevada and modifying it in Ca to be legal, which would be illegal etc. any way question i have is, aren't you required to be a resident of a state to buy firearms in that state, in other words be able to show a state I.D to purchase firearms in that state, not planning on it of course i already have a mak-90 legally regestered.

bwiese
03-02-2005, 1:15 PM
Bob...

Not necessarily, there's adjoining state laws, etc. if you go thru FFL and your state permits it.

But if you're a California resident you can't buy guns in another state w/o that gun being sent thru a CA FFL dealer.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bob1234
03-02-2005, 3:23 PM
ahh ok main thing i was trying to figure out was isn't it a federal law that you cannot go into a gun store and buy a gun in lets say nevada, arizona etc., without showing a id for that state. i.e. you have to live in a state to buy a gun there, not the transfer of firearm from one FFl to another FFL.

bwiese
03-02-2005, 3:38 PM
It varies. There is an adjoining-state law in many states and Fed law allows this. So an OR person can buy at a NV gunshow from an FFL.

Bill W
San Jose

bob1234
03-02-2005, 10:37 PM
not sure i understood last sentance there think you lost a letter or fragment of sentance

bob1234
03-03-2005, 1:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So an OR person can buy at a NV gunshow from a FFL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>what did you mean by this

bwiese
03-03-2005, 2:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> So an OR person can buy at a NV gunshow from a FFL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry. A condensed way of saying that, for example, a person who is an Oregon resident could buy a gun at a Nevada gun show from a federlly licensed gun dealer.

bob1234
03-03-2005, 2:48 PM
ahh ok thanks

Georro
03-03-2005, 6:04 PM
Federal law on this subject prohibits purchasing a handgun in another state unless you have it shipped to an FFL in your own state for transfer.

Federal law does allow an individual to purchase long guns out of state provided that the purchase is made from and FFL and not a private party. This is, of course, subject to the whims of individual states and their laws. For instance, as the above poster cited, CA law does not allow out of state purchases from FFL without it being shipped to a CA FFL for transfer and run through DROS.

Hope this helps