PDA

View Full Version : CHP: What is my SAFE Speed?

jlh95811
06-19-2009, 4:48 AM
Is there any allowance?
I feel I'm a very competent driver. I'm comercially liscensed and highly trained. But I'm talking about in my Personal Vehicle. On my off days I drive a '95 Toyota Avalon. Sadly I've got 19" Chrome Rims and Dark Tint; I love it but I say sadly because I think it draws more attention. I've gotten speeding tickets for 78/65 and 84/65 and was givin a PA warning by a city cop to slow down at 75/65.

Honestly, I see soooo many terrible drivers in my line of duty that I don't want to be near them. I know just how dumb some drivers are. :( I want to pass them up and be away from them asap. I don't jerk lane changes and I NEVER tailgate. I've been told I drive "quite smooth" by an issuing officer. :D

So is there a secret? Can I get away with 73/65? What do you normally allow? And the BIG QUESTION....(and I don't know if you are at liberty to discuss it) Is there a set # of MPH over the limit that officers are told not to bother with?

SmokinMr2
06-19-2009, 6:23 AM
Not a Chippy but I have asked that question before.
I'm told that it's whatever road and weather conditions allow for up to the maximum posted limit. I doubt you will get anyone to tell you it's legal to speed ;)

Eckolaker
06-19-2009, 7:06 AM
Anything over 7 miles over posted speed limit and you run the risk of getting a ticket for speeding. Most LEO's will give you that 3-5 MPH buffer.

r08ert209cali
06-19-2009, 7:41 AM
with almost every county and city including the state going broke due to the economy you're not gonna get away with much.

mecam
06-19-2009, 8:00 AM
Get a radar detector with the latest technology or just drive the speed limit. I think what attracts the CHP also are the constant lane jumpers.

yzernie
06-19-2009, 8:35 AM
I would suggest that before anyone calls a location a "speed trap" that you know exactly what a speed trap is. Hiding behind a sign, bush, rocks, on a down hill grade or even being camo'd out sitting in a tree is not a speed trap. The California Vehicle Code defines a speed trap.

I know none of my troops or myself condone citing anyone under the conditions of a trap. The only thing that happens is we would look foolish in front of the magistrate and we're not going to do that to ourselves.

As far as any "grace area" for writing a speed ticket...I doubt you'll get anyone to say there is one. The bottom line is, don't speed and you won't have to worry about a speeding ticket. :D

jafount
06-19-2009, 9:22 AM
When I was assigned to the traffic unit and worked a radar car, my personal policy was no stop until you're 15 over on any main artery, 10 over in any 25 zone. There is no policy or set number as it's up to the individual officer's discretion.

scr83jp
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Get a radar detector with the latest technology or just drive the speed limit. I think what attracts the CHP also are the constant lane jumpers. Don't get caught with a radar detector or jammer it's against CVC in calif & you'll be in trouble.LE can p/u your signal if you have one.

mecam
06-19-2009, 1:09 PM
Don't get caught with a radar detector or jammer it's against CVC in calif & you'll be in trouble.LE can p/u your signal if you have one.

Radar detectors are legal in CA. Jammers are illegal. Show me the PC/CVC.

Eroland7
06-19-2009, 1:11 PM
Don't get caught with a radar detector or jammer it's against CVC in calif & you'll be in trouble.LE can p/u your signal if you have one.

:fud:

scr83jp
06-19-2009, 1:33 PM
Radar detectors are legal in CA. Jammers are illegal. Show me the PC/CVC.My error they weren't always legal.

Eroland7
06-19-2009, 1:34 PM
It deffinately varries by state. Detectors are legal here. There are certain jamming devices that are illegal in CA, but legal in many other states.

mecam
06-19-2009, 1:40 PM
My error they weren't always legal.

I think they are illegal on commercial vehicles weighing more than 10k-lbs or something like that.

BigDogatPlay
06-19-2009, 3:51 PM
Going back to the OP.... commercially licensed (I presume your on duty record is spotless?) and in your opinion (as a profesisonal driver) 75+ in a 65 was safe. That is the standard... was the speed safe for prevailing conditions, assuming that is what you were cited for.

If, on the other hand, CHP cited for exceeding the maximum allowed speed, that's a whole different violation which has nothing to do with what is safe.

Not trying to sound harsh here, but the safest and most careful drivers I know, on duty or off, are professionals... and the hazmat guys are even more so. It makes me wonder why your "professional" status doesn't carry over to behind the wheel of your own car.

My suggestion is to slow down before you take a suspension for negligent operator which might affect your ability to make a living.

:D

jlh95811
06-19-2009, 5:06 PM
Going back to the OP.... commercially licensed (I presume your on duty record is spotless?) and in your opinion (as a profesisonal driver) 75+ in a 65 was safe. That is the standard... was the speed safe for prevailing conditions, assuming that is what you were cited for.

If, on the other hand, CHP cited for exceeding the maximum allowed speed, that's a whole different violation which has nothing to do with what is safe.

Not trying to sound harsh here, but the safest and most careful drivers I know, on duty or off, are professionals... and the hazmat guys are even more so. It makes me wonder why your "professional" status doesn't carry over to behind the wheel of your own car.

My suggestion is to slow down before you take a suspension for negligent operator which might affect your ability to make a living.

:D

My ON DUTY record WAS spotless until recently.
Long story short:
I was caught going 71 (officer wrote 65+) going up hill in the rain hauling a set of doubles in a Truck that is governed at 62mph. It is 100% impossible to accelerate past 62mph. Going up hill with doubles you lose speed. I won't lie. I was speeding. (hate CA truck speed laws) I was doing 60mph passing a car that was doing about 50!!! I'm thinking the officer saw me passing rapidly and assumed I was cookin'! I did Trial by Written and Trial De Novo. Lost both. State is in need of money. I will say it. They robbed me! Nothing else I can do as I can't afford to miss anymore $175 work days to fight a $290 ticket. Just not worth it.

As for the 2 speeding tickets in my car. I do feel they were safe for conditions. Both dry road, sunny day, open FWY. Both by officers hiding under overpasses.

As for the "professional" status. It does carry over to my personal vehicle but in a way I'd rather it did not. It works against me. My tickets are about 30% more than a Class C liscensed individual in their car. It really hurts.

Currently I am down to doing 72-73/65. Would anyone here write me a ticket for that?

cryptkeeper
06-19-2009, 6:18 PM
Radar jammers are illegal everywhere. It's a federal offense.

BigDogatPlay
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
My ON DUTY record WAS spotless until recently.
Long story short:
I was caught going 71 (officer wrote 65+) going up hill in the rain hauling a set of doubles in a Truck that is governed at 62mph. It is 100% impossible to accelerate past 62mph. Going up hill with doubles you lose speed. I won't lie. I was speeding. (hate CA truck speed laws) I was doing 60mph passing a car that was doing about 50!!! I'm thinking the officer saw me passing rapidly and assumed I was cookin'! I did Trial by Written and Trial De Novo. Lost both. State is in need of money. I will say it. They robbed me! Nothing else I can do as I can't afford to miss anymore $175 work days to fight a $290 ticket. Just not worth it.

If you could prove that the rig was governed and that the governor was operating properly that would seem like an instant dismissal to me. Of course the rain condition might have had something to do with it as well.

As for the 2 speeding tickets in my car. I do feel they were safe for conditions. Both dry road, sunny day, open FWY. Both by officers hiding under overpasses.

Then the next question becomes did they write you for unsafe speed, or for exceeding the maximum speed? Not that it matters at this point, but it's a matter of curiosity.

As for the "professional" status. It does carry over to my personal vehicle but in a way I'd rather it did not. It works against me. My tickets are about 30% more than a Class C liscensed individual in their car. It really hurts.

Well the good thing is that a Class A license gets you two extra points to play with before DMV will consider you a negligent operator.

Currently I am down to doing 72-73/65. Would anyone here write me a ticket for that?

Depends on the conditions.... :)

Seriously though... good luck and keep it at 70 or just under. You'll be a lot happier.

jlh95811
06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
If you could prove that the rig was governed and that the governor was operating properly that would seem like an instant dismissal to me. Of course the rain condition might have had something to do with it as well.

Then the next question becomes did they write you for unsafe speed, or for exceeding the maximum speed? Not that it matters at this point, but it's a matter of curiosity.

Well the good thing is that a Class A license gets you two extra points to play with before DMV will consider you a negligent operator.

Depends on the conditions.... :)

Seriously though... good luck and keep it at 70 or just under. You'll be a lot happier.

I had a shop work order stating that the governor on the truck was turned down from 64mph to 62mph about 6 months prior to the incident as per new company policy. Also our trucks have a monitoring system that would flag an overspeed in the system had I gone 63mph.(which is possible on a downhill swing) I got a list of all trucks flagged for overspeed violations 48hrs prior and 48hrs after the ticket was issued.

I'm telling you I was ROBBED! :chris:

Both cases in personal vehicle were for exceeding max speed. One is like 4 years old so only the last 2 are on my record. It just upsets me. I feel like suing for defemation. I should look into statute of limitations for filing an appeal. :confused:

SD202
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
When I was assigned to the traffic unit and worked a radar car, my personal policy was no stop until you're 15 over on any main artery, 10 over in any 25 zone. There is no policy or set number as it's up to the individual officer's discretion.

I thought the CVC said the "buffer" was 3MPH.
I got popped for CVC 22348 [b] excess 100mph in 65mph........the officer sure was nice for how fast i was going with a passenger thanks CHP :D
Just dont speed no jammer or detector will save you the officer is going to know you are jamming his gun. The detector only warns you.

DNA
06-20-2009, 9:18 PM
Here's a suggestion. Get your car legal (remove tint) and drive the speed limit. Problem solved. :D

And it isn't about money. The state doesn't make much (may be actually losing money since so much paperwork is generated) and individual officers don't have an incentive to write cites for other than to assist people with changing their habits. Behavior modification so to speak. No one wants to wake up at 6am on an off day to drive for an hour and a half through traffic to go fight a ticket.

Dan

jlh95811
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Here's a suggestion. Get your car legal (remove tint) and drive the speed limit. Problem solved. :D

And it isn't about money. The state doesn't make much (may be actually losing money since so much paperwork is generated) and individual officers don't have an incentive to write cites for other than to assist people with changing their habits. Behavior modification so to speak. No one wants to wake up at 6am on an off day to drive for an hour and a half through traffic to go fight a ticket.

Dan

My tint is legal.
Officers have no incentive? Think again. If they don't meet the quota the budget gets cut and as a result so do patrolmen. Think it's not about the money? Why is the CHP hiring while were in a recession? Why when other departments are being downsized? Don't ignore the elephant in the room.

ojisan
06-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Never lead the pack.
Never chase the pack.
Never be the fastest or "Passing All".
Learn where the "Cherry Patches" are and go slow there.
Always watch your six.
Get a radar detector and learn to use it fully.
Slow down a bit.
Sometimes it's just your turn.
Good luck.

DNA
06-21-2009, 9:41 AM
I don't understand where every gets this information that LEO's have quotas. Frankly my supervision doesn't care whether I write 0 cites or 100 cites a month. It's not about the money. Usually though, citations are written when there are multiple infractions, when you "stick out from the crowd."

The LAPD is also hiring while the City of LA is going under, your point is?

There are things such as a minimum staffing level, so that there are enough officers for calls for service. As much as I do admire the CHP, I for one would not want their job. Way too much danger on the highways.

Dan

p.s. as for the legal tint please refer to the vehicle code;

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

Knight
06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Never lead the pack.
Never chase the pack.
Never be the fastest or "Passing All".
Learn where the "Cherry Patches" are and go slow there.
Always watch your six.
Get a radar detector and learn to use it fully.
Slow down a bit.
Sometimes it's just your turn.
Good luck.

This.

Also, I have passed CHP going 8 over under various speed limits (63/55, 73/65, 78/70) and I have not been lit up.

Fjold
06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
My tint is legal.
Officers have no incentive? Think again. If they don't meet the quota the budget gets cut and as a result so do patrolmen. Think it's not about the money? Why is the CHP hiring while were in a recession? Why when other departments are being downsized? Don't ignore the elephant in the room.

I asked a buddy of mine (CHP) if he had a quota and he said that they used to, but know he can write as many as he wants.

jlh95811
06-21-2009, 4:37 PM
p.s. as for the legal tint please refer to the vehicle code;

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

Tint shops would all be closed down if this were the case. I've never heard anyone I know or anyone I've met for that matter talk about getting a ticket for tint unless it was on the winshield or they went with a darker tint than allowed on the front two.

There are a couple different shades of tint. The number gets smaller as the tint gets darker.

Limo's use double the darkest tint available which is 5 tint. My car has a single layer of 5. It is just on the rear window and 2 rear sides. Tint darker than a 90 is illegal on the front two and any tint is illegal on the windshield.

Most factory cars from the shop today come with 20 tint on the rear and 2 rear sides. Yet some only use 50 tint.

If it were illegal they would not let the auto manufacturers sell the car.

What the vehicle code you showed is talking about is items that need be affixed to the windows that may obstruct the view. Such as GPS Units, Sun Shades, and non-transparent decals.

jlh95811
06-21-2009, 4:39 PM
I asked a buddy of mine (CHP) if he had a quota and he said that they used to, but know he can write as many as he wants.

That's funny. :D I assume it's a joke. I know they can right as many as they see fit. But there is a number that the department as a whole MUST produce. If they do not do so in consecutive months their budget gets decreased.

Ever think it's odd to see all the CHP out in force the last 3-5 days of the month?

FLIGHT762
06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Tint shops would all be closed down if this were the case. I've never heard anyone I know or anyone I've met for that matter talk about getting a ticket for tint unless it was on the windshield or they went with a darker tint than allowed on the front two.

There are a couple different shades of tint. The number gets smaller as the tint gets darker.

Limo's use double the darkest tint available which is 5 tint. My car has a single layer of 5. It is just on the rear window and 2 rear sides. Tint darker than a 90 is illegal on the front two and any tint is illegal on the windshield.

Most factory cars from the shop today come with 20 tint on the rear and 2 rear sides. Yet some only use 50 tint.

What the vehicle code you showed is talking about is items that need be affixed to the windows that may obstruct the view. Such as GPS Units, Sun Shades, and non-transparent decals.

I am one of the Officers that enforced tinting on the driver's compartment windows(the two front side windows). California law allows the rear side windows to be tinted as dark as you like and the rear window IF you have a right side mirror.

The legal tint allowed on the driver's compartment windows is a minimum of 70% visible light transmittance (VLT) Most factory driver compartment windows come with a solar tint and will register between 80% to 72% VLT. The driver's compartment windows on my Crown Victoria patrol car register 75% VLT. ANY tint applied to the driver compartment windows would take the VLT below the legal limit.

To measure the VLT accurately, I purchased an electronic tint meter from laser labs. http://www.laser-labs.com/products.php

I bought the meter to stop arguments about what the VLT is. The meter is accurate to within 2% and self calibrates. The meter is accepted by the Courts.

There is a lot of misinformation on window tinting. The CVC section is long and a bit complicated. I've had every excuse used including a Doctors note to be shaded from the sun due to eye or skin sensitivity. The only problem is the code specifically addresses the issue and states a sunscreen device may be applied with a Doctors note BUT the screening device must be removable and not permanently affixed. The code also allows a UV blocking mylar with a VLT of 80% to be affixed for people with medical issues.

Every State has their own specs. as to what tint degree is allowed. California requires 70% VLT on the windshield and driver compartment windows.

I could tell the approximate degree of tint just looking as the car drives by. The point where I am not able to see the driver clearly through the driver's side window is in the 30's of VLT. I've cited for as low as 2% VLT on the driver's compartment windows.

You are incorrect about the tinting shops. They routinely illegally tint windows. 26708.5(A) prohibits the actual installation of the tint. Some people that I've stopped have told me when they had the tinting installed, the tinting shop had them sign a waiver. The shops don't care and there is no one at the shop to enforce the section.

The section I cited for is 276708(A) (2). This section does not allow anything applied to the window the reduces the clear vision, This does include the mylar or sprayed on tinting.

I've had more non compliance with window tinting and would repeat cite drivers who refused to take the illegal tinting off. I would use 24004 VC, failure to comply ($300.00- $400.00 fine). If the driver came right out and told me he would just get one of his COP buddies to illegally sign it off, I would write on the face of the cite "advised 24004 and 40616 VC" I would also write on the violators copy where the Officer signs off the cite " per sec. 40616 VC to be signed off only by ******* P.D."

Anyone willfully refusing to correct would be cited for 40616 VC, failing to correct or willfully refusing to correct. This section is a misdemeanor section and would be prosecuted in regular court, not traffic court.

All I wanted to do was to get compilance. Many drivers were unaware and I had no problem showing them the tint meter and educating them although,I got jerked around so much by non compliance with tinted windows I had to resort to these legal enforcement measures to get compliance.

jlh95811
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
You are incorrect about the tinting shops. They routinely illegally tint windows. 26708.5(A) prohibits the actual installation of the tint. Some people that I've stopped have told me when they had the tinting installed, the tinting shop had them sign a waiver. The shops don't care and there is no one at the shop to enforce the section.

Either you are not picking up what I'm putting down or vice versa. I never said tint shops would not apply illegal tint. I simply was saying that if tint in general were illegal, as DNA eluded to, that tint shops would be put out of business either by lack of patronage or by regulation.
I know you are correct though about them tinting to levels that would be illegal to drive the streets with and I've been educated on the waivers as well.
While it really is just a sneaky way to make the money without being responsible they seem to have a leg to stand on in that a show car, for instance, does not get driven; it gets hauled. Thereby it need not be street legal. So essentially they can tint it legally as they have no clue what you intend to use the vehicle for.

jafount
06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Your question was asked and answered. Tint shops can apply anything to the rear windows. NOT to the side windows. Though, they are not te ones to receive the citation, so you pay for this at your own risk. End of story.

Scratch705
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
rear side windows are legal. only driver/front passenger side windows can't be tinted plus front windshield. the rear side(4 door car) and rear windshield can be tinted to whatever you want.

tint shops can install it however the customer orders it, since they make you sign a wavier saying that you understand the laws on tint, and that the car is a off-road use only (if tinting front windshield/ driver/front passenger windows) like how gun shops are absolved of any wrong doing if a customer bought a gun, then killed someone with it.

some tint shops even cash in on the illegal-ness and offer "insurance" that if you get ticket, and have to take off the tint, you can bring the car back, and they will re-tint for free or lower than usual cost.

jlh95811
06-22-2009, 1:37 AM
Your question was asked and answered. Tint shops can apply anything to the rear windows. NOT to the side windows. Though, they are not te ones to receive the citation, so you pay for this at your own risk. End of story.

Relax guy. ;)

nicki
06-22-2009, 3:29 AM
There are sites dedicated to dealing with speeding tickets, but the bottom line is the law needs to be fixed.

On roads with speed limts of 50 mph or less, traffic engineering surveys are supposed to be done within 5 years to measure flow of traffic. The speed limit is supposed to be what the top 85th percentile of traffic flows, generally it is rounded down so that it is in 5 mph increments.

You can make a arguement that if you were driving say 45mph in a 35 mph zone at 12am and there was no traffic, that even though you were exceeding the speed limit, that it was a safe speed for conditions.

On the highways were the speed limit is 55mph or higher, the rules are different, the speed limit is what it says, period.

They don't do traffic surveys and even if they did, the state limits max speed on highways to 65/70mph.

If you say you were going 70 in a 65 in traffic court, you are guilty, you really have no defense except the mercy of the court.

Generally speaking, most police won't bother you if you are 5mph over, if you are 6 to 10mph over, maybe. If you are more than 10 mph over the limit, you are risking a ticket.

Alot also depends on the road. Traffic saftey zones increase risk of tickets substantially.

Motorcyle cops probably hand tickets out faster than say crusiers.

The police are switching over to laser guns, so your radar detector won't help much. There are products that you can put on the front of your car that will make it difficult for laser to lock onto you car.

Driving at the speed limit on highways is dangerous. Most cars I see who do drive at the speed limit also tailgate. My definition of tailgating is having less than 2 seconds space between you and the car in front of you.

Driving the speed limit also means you will have other drivers tailgating you.

Personally I believe that the highway speed limits should be set by honest traffic surveys done when traffic is free flowing and set at the upper 85 percentile.

Of course that would mean that speed limits would increase to probably have to be increased to 75 mph in the urban areas and probably 80 to 85 mph on the rural roads.

As car technology improves, average traffic speeds would increase and speed limits would have to increase accordingly.

For all you safety nannies out there who think the speed limit should be followed, I dare you to put a bumper sticker on your car saying the following:

This vehicle's owner supports speed limit enforcement and if it exceeds the posted speed limit, please pull car over and ticket the driver.

When it comes to speed limits, people vote with their gas pedal.

Unfortunately we have a country full of sheep, that is why it took 20 years to get rid of the 55mph.

If you guys think things are bad now, wait to you see what the "Safety Nannies" would like to do because they are already doing it full scale in Europe.

How about "Hidden speed enforcement cameras".

Went to Phoenix last month for NRA convention, rented a car and drove highways in Phoenix and they have photo enforcement on the highways.

Fortunately they have "Warning signs" and they are set 11 over the posted limit.

Imagine driving on highways with "no warnings" and no latitude for driving over the limit.

How long would it take for most of us to get 3 or 4 speeding tickets?
This is what Europeans deal with.

At least they have 75 and 80 mph speed limits and in Germany, open limits on some highways.

England wants to put mandatory GPS in all cars so that they can track you, tax you and control how fast you operate your car via satellite control.

Remember, the English are now "unarmed subjects".

I am not against traffic laws for legitimate safety, but I have a big issue with speed limits that are set 10 to 15mph below what traffic would naturally flow at and then drivers getting "speeding tickets".

When the 55mph was ended, highway deaths did not skyrocket, even in Montana, where for a few years, they had open and prudent as the state speed limit.

Must have really bothered highway patrol to watch people routinely driving 80 to 90mph and they couldn't ticket them.

Motana had to put a state speed limit when their Supreme court ruled that the highway patrol couldn't write speeding tickets.

For 5 months Montana had NO SPEED LIMITS ON THEIR HIGHWAYS until the legislature enacted a 75mph speed limit. A not so funny thing happened though after speed limits were enacted for our own good, traffic fatalities increased.

Now, if a committed group of people, say 500 to 1000 would commit to staging a peaceful protest against the state speed limts, the law would change.

The peaceful protest would be the following:

Every weekday in both the morning and evening in all the major cities, groups of people would drive at the posted speed limits blocking all lanes so that traffic could not drive above the speed limit, in effect, citizen enforcement of the speed limit.

It would cause alot of pain in the state, people would be pissed. It would be covered by the news because it is something that would effect everyone.

Now of course drivers should not tailgate, but in reality traffic would snarl up and tempers would flare and there probably would be more accidents.

The longer the pressure is kept on, the more angry people would get and the phone calls to the legislature would get their attention.

If reasonable demands were made, the legislature would cave.

Staging "Civil disobedience" by forcing the population to actually obey "Speed limits" to force our servants to "redress our grievances" is what the first amendment is about.

I figure the CHP wouldn't be too happy with our actions and would probably harass those who would be 'just driving the speed limit".

As far as "Obstructing the flow of traffic", the traffic shouldn't be flowing above the speed limit on roads with the 65/70 mph because those limits are so called "Absolutes".

Nicki

1923mack
06-22-2009, 8:23 AM
I will give you my unhappy speeding ticket story. Driving on interstate 5 a bit north of Sacramento, early morning, clear sky, very light traffic, speed limit 70 mph. I am driving 64 mph and a CHP pulls a u-turn in the median to give me a speeding ticket. I had an empty car hauling trailer behind my F250. Trailer law does state 55 mph max. I could not believe the an officer would go out of his way to give me a speeding ticket for 7 mph over the truck limit in these conditions. Most 18 wheelers were blowing me off the slow lane when I was driving at 60/65 mph. I went to court to argue the ticket, hoping the officer would not show up. He did and I lost. I have a CDL (commercial drivers license) so cannot take traffic school. Point added to record.

jlh95811
06-22-2009, 9:48 AM
That's a great idea nicki. Not only would all the police and CHP be limited by the line of slow cars but it would give the state no speeding ticket revenue. That would hurt them quite a bit.

yzernie
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I know they can right as many as they see fit. But there is a number that the department as a whole MUST produce. If they do not do so in consecutive months their budget gets decreased.
Very interesting....do you have anything to prove this information? That would essentially mean a quota and quotas were deemed illegal years ago.

Unless you can provide proof of your above comment it certainly sounds like bad info to me.

botsdots
06-22-2009, 11:54 AM
most of my cop friends dislike giving tickets, but one admits: "A ticket a day keeps the sergeant away."

webfoots
06-22-2009, 2:27 PM
That's a great idea nicki. Not only would all the police and CHP be limited by the line of slow cars but it would give the state no speeding ticket revenue. That would hurt them quite a bit.

The state gets none of the money from tickets written by the CHP or any other agency. All of it goes to the cities and counties that the violations occurred in.

You should really stop posting since nearly everything you have posted so far has been incorrect...

GuyW
06-22-2009, 3:16 PM
The speed limit is supposed to be what the top 85th percentile of traffic flows,

It's the bottom 85%....

Ron-Solo
06-22-2009, 5:02 PM
Tint shops would all be closed down if this were the case. I've never heard anyone I know or anyone I've met for that matter talk about getting a ticket for tint unless it was on the winshield or they went with a darker tint than allowed on the front two.

This is why SO MANY PEOPLE get tickets for their tinting. It is not illegal for the tint shop to sell it or install it. It's just illegal for you to drive it on a highway. Any tinting applied to the side mirrors is illegal in CA, just the light tinting usually gets a pass.

Ron-Solo
06-22-2009, 5:05 PM
I thought the CVC said the "buffer" was 3MPH.
I got popped for CVC 22348 [b] excess 100mph in 65mph........the officer sure was nice for how fast i was going with a passenger thanks CHP :D
Just dont speed no jammer or detector will save you the officer is going to know you are jamming his gun. The detector only warns you.

There is NO codified "buffer" in the CVC. Most officers will give a little on a practical basis that speedometers can be off a little. Technically speaking, you can be cite for 1 mph over, but I think most of us would agree that it is a little C/S barring other aggrevating circumstances.

Ron-Solo
06-22-2009, 5:07 PM
I had a CHip watch be jump on the HW then existed. I was not speeding but he warched me then followed me in town.. I was sitting at the light and he lite me up....LOL! He did this over a simple fix ticket. Waste of my time and his.....I was on my motorcycle....A week later I got another fix ticket on my motorcyle for something else (minor) and there was a speeding 300zx who passed me and cut me off in front of the Chip. But he was only concerned with me............
10 fix ticket compared to a 200 speeding ticket............:shrug:
I seen motorcycles getting pulled over left and right for about 2 weeks straight in my area so it must of been some motorcycle enforcement thing go on.....

Is this a question? This forum is not for you to air your gripes about law enforcement.

FLIGHT762
06-22-2009, 6:02 PM
This is why SO MANY PEOPLE get tickets for their tinting. It is not illegal for the tint shop to sell it or install it. It's just illegal for you to drive it on a highway. Any tinting applied to the side mirrors is illegal in CA, just the light tinting usually gets a pass.

This is the section for applying it.

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

Granted, the car has to operated on the highway. I once found a car with dark tinting on the windshield driving on the street. The plates on the car were manufacturers plates from Michigan(Detroit) .The driver was a factory rep with a brand new car model being used in a commercial for T.V.

It's illegal for the tinting shops to install it illegally, but they do it all the time. It's just not possible to enforce it. I went to our local tint shops and tried to educate them, but it didn't work. It's easier to enforce it when someone is driving on the streets with it.

DNA
06-22-2009, 9:16 PM
Finally, reason! :D

Dan

MiguelS
06-22-2009, 9:58 PM
The SAFE speed is when you just dont act like an idiot to the CHP after yoget pulled over. There is a speed limit and if you are over it alot or a little it is at the descretion of the CHP.

I have been pulled over 4 times.

1. About 85/65. I just had installed a new drive shaft and it was vibrating. I told the CHP about how fast I was going and the reason why. Still not a valid reason, but he let me go. He had me raise my right hand and told me to say that I would not speed anymore in his area.

2. Going 75/65. Guy gave me a ticket, was pretty rude when he came up to me. So I just kept quiet and signed the ticket and left.

3. Going 75/65. Again was let go...told him that my last tix was about 3 years ago. I guess he checked and said thank you for being honest and gave me a fix it ticket for not have a front license plate.

4. Going 90/65, so they estimate. I had just Willows (ThunderHill) in the morning and I was driving on the fast lane...I guess some people I zipped by called CHP. I actually pulled over to put gas at a Chevron and pulled back on the freeway. I had 3 CHP cars waiting for me before I go onto the 80. Motorcycle pulled me over after seeing me on the opposite side and crossed the grassy median. I think I was going close to 100 though. But they said the plane got me at 90. I just signed my ticket, did the online course and paid the fees. That was about 19 months ago...so I am clear for another ticket.

So if you are not an arse to them, usually I would get a warning.

There is a speed limit and abide by it. If you don't want to and get pulled over don't complain if you get a ticket.

Also, if you are in the fast lane and there is someone coming up behind you...just them them by...you making them change lanes at high speed can cause an accident.

scr83jp
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
i just got a ticket today going 80 in a 65, i was coming down a grade and i wasnt even on the gas. i tried explaining to the CHP but he wasnt hearing it. i was issued a speeding ticket. my first one in over two years!

anything i can do about it?go to traffic school on line

scr83jp
06-22-2009, 10:43 PM
As soon as people heard I was a probation officer I heard this comment "I have this friend who has a problem " He was either a parolee or probationer trying to find out how he could beat the system. I got so tired of it when people asked what I did for a living I told them I worked for the county waste management disposal service,the questions stopped!

glibreaper
06-24-2009, 2:35 AM
Now, if a committed group of people, say 500 to 1000 would commit to staging a peaceful protest against the state speed limts, the law would change.

I really like this idea, Nikki. Having speed limit laws which are ignored by nearly everyone undermines respect for the law in general. This is especially pernicious when people see LEOs speeding during routine, non-emergency-response driving.

Effective direct action doesn't need hundreds of people, although organizing something on that scale would be awesome. You just need as many drivers as there are lanes and to time the protest for peak traffic. A few dozen people could cause serious traffic jams if they were well coordinated. It wouldn't take much for people to notice. The trick would be in turning all that road rage into public outcry for reform of speed limits and traffic control.

yzernie
06-24-2009, 8:37 AM
06-21-09:
I know they can right as many as they see fit. But there is a number that the department as a whole MUST produce. If they do not do so in consecutive months their budget gets decreased.

06-22-09:
Very interesting....do you have anything to prove this information? That would essentially mean a quota and quotas were deemed illegal years ago.

Unless you can provide proof of your above comment it certainly sounds like bad info to me.
Were you able to locate the information you stated yet? I'd really like to see where this information is documented.

jlh95811
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Were you able to locate the information you stated yet? I'd really like to see where this information is dicumented.

Don't be coy. It is undocumented. Otherwise there would be hell to pay. They aren't going to put it in writing.
Funny though, how you thought I may actually be looking for it. As if I need proof to validate myself. I am above your little games.

yzernie
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Don't be coy. It is undocumented. Otherwise there would be hell to pay. They aren't going to put it in writing.
Funny though, how you thought I may actually be looking for it. As if I need proof to validate myself. I am above your little games.
Wow...........your sarcastic reply is simply unwarranted. You threw out a comment with the insinuation you had knowlwdge of such a fact and I simply asked you to validate it. Did someone piss in your cereal this morning?

jlh95811
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow...........your sarcastic reply is simply unwarranted. You threw out a comment with the insinuation you had knowlwdge of such a fact and I simply asked you to validate it. Did someone piss in your cereal this morning?

Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries. Seriously, if you meant no harm then I apologize.
They don't call it a quota and I doubt they talk about it other than the higher ups calling for stricter enforcement. It is simply a reality they must face.
It's like if I were a sales manager and you were my sales rep. Of you did not sell enough product I'd either have to get your sales up or cut you as it creates less money for us and thereby my employer would cut our contract/budget funds cause we aren't making them enough money to warrant the cost.

AR-shogun
06-24-2009, 4:43 PM

I was just wondering how many car companies put tinting on the front side windows. I was told it was illegal to have it (in CA) but not illegal for the company to put it on.

retired
06-24-2009, 5:25 PM

Jih, he was not being coy, as I too wondered if you were going to provide evidence to back up that earlier statement of yours. As has been stated; quotas are illegal. There is no set number of tickets that must be written by each leo per week, month, etc.

Obviously, if an officer assigned to a traffic unit failed to write any tickets or very few during, let's say, a month period, he would probably be contacted by a supervisor. NOT for failing to meet his quota, which again, is illegal, but for failure to do the job he/she is being paid for. In this case, that is traffic enforcement.

If you are going to make a statement like, But there is a number that the department as a whole MUST produce then provide some evidence to back that up when asked, otherwise it is just an opinion. When someone asks you if you have found that evidence, do not reply sarcastically as you did.

In the same vein yzernie, Did someone piss in your cereal this morning? is no less sarcastic.

yzernie
06-24-2009, 5:45 PM
Sorry dad. ;)

Eye-In-The-Sky
06-24-2009, 9:56 PM
before you jump into your own conclusions about a certain department.
first the chp does not have to "sell" tickets like a sale rep as you mentioned.
as mentioned above...NONE OF THE REVENUES GENERATED BY CITATIONS GO TO THE STATE...NONE, ZERO, nothing, there's nothing to sell or buy!!!
second, there is no "must produce" as you mentioned. you are looking like a pissed off violator that got caught violating the law....pay the fine, quit whinning and learn from it!!! or go whine to the judge and see where you end up. just my 2 cents.

Eye-In-The-Sky
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
the answer is ZERO car companies. None tint there front windows. you must be talking about a "CAR DEALER". big difference there, dealer and manufacturer. no matter what the shade, or its lighter than limo or its just a tad light.....is a violation of 26708(a)(1)vc- why? if it is PERMANENTLY ATTACHED, its a violation...sign the ticket. bottom line is....DON'T TINT YOUR FRONT WINDOWS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE STOP BY THE POPO!

Ron-Solo
06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I was just wondering how many car companies put tinting on the front side windows. I was told it was illegal to have it (in CA) but not illegal for the company to put it on.

The factories don't apply tinting to the outside of the glass. The factory tint is inside the glass. Some car dealers apply tinting but it still doesn't mean it's legal to drive the car with it on. Seems kind of misleading to people in my opinion.

hkdad
06-25-2009, 2:46 PM
valentine V1 FTW... get it professionally installed and don't have to worry about it.

Compuham
08-30-2009, 1:34 AM
Sometimes being just a little over a speed limit will get you a cite if you fail the attitude test!!!!

bigger hammer
08-30-2009, 8:58 AM
On my first department this was written in the policy. It assumed a car in good working order with good tires being driven under ideal conditions; daylight with no vision obstructions and a medium flow of traffic. It assumed that the driver was in good mental and physical condition.

The policy said that if the driver was going 5 mph over the posted speed limit the officer "may stop and may cite." If the driver was going 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit the officer "should stop and may cite." If the driver was going 15+ over the posted speed limit the officer "should stop and should cite." Those words were intended as a guideline.

These numbers can be reduced by such things as wet roadway, fog, bald tires, impaired driver, etc. An officer CAN issue a citation for 1 mph over the limit. Speed can be measured by a pace, by an estimate, or by a device such as radar or lidar or a combination of these.

Quotas don't exist but the officer who wrote the most tickets for each month won a toaster oven! The officer who wrote the most tickets for the year won a trip to Hawaii!

Most of this post is serious but part is not. Some won't be able to discern which is which.

oldsmoboat
08-30-2009, 8:02 PM
In my experience (not LEO) it depends on your attitude, if you are being safe and who you work for.
Most CHP I work with give a break to CDL holders as it effects their livelihood.
I have been given a break because I work for Caltrans.
I am always respectful and truthful. Even if I am getting a ticket instead of a warning. No sense in pissing off the guy/gal holding the pen.

Fire in the Hole
08-30-2009, 8:09 PM
In my experience (not LEO) it depends on your attitude, if you are being safe and who you work for.
Most CHP I work with give a break to CDL holders as it effects their livelihood.
I have been given a break because I work for Caltrans.
I am always respectful and truthful. Even if I am getting a ticket instead of a warning. No sense in pissing off the guy/gal holding the pen.

I admit to a little bit of confusion to this specific point. Everybody driving has or is legally required to have a valid CDL in his/her possession. So there is really nothing spectacular to this. Even the "Great Unwashed" of our society may have CDL's, if only for ID. No CDL=Misdemeanor Citation+Impounded Vehicle.

RedMongooSe
08-30-2009, 8:36 PM
I admit to a little bit of confusion to this specific point. Everybody driving has or is legally required to have a valid CDL in his/her possession. So there is really nothing spectacular to this. Even the "Great Unwashed" of our society may have CDL's, if only for ID. No CDL=Misdemeanor Citation+Impounded Vehicle.
i think he is means that the purp has a California licence, not a Nevada, Texas, Az.

Fire in the Hole
08-30-2009, 8:39 PM
i think he is means that the purp has a California licence, not a Nevada, Texas, Az.

I still do not get the significance of the point. I know of hobos and bumbs with CDL's.

oldsmoboat
08-30-2009, 9:39 PM
My bad:
CDL = Commercial Driver's License.

Fire in the Hole
08-30-2009, 9:43 PM
My bad:
CDL = Commercial Driver's License.

Okay I understand where your are coming from now. Among LEO's, CDL =California Driver's license. ADL=Arizona Drivers' License, and so on.

American_pride
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
All CHP funding comes from DMV fees. That is why they take it personal when you haven't paid your tags. At least the ones I know LOL

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
That's funny. :D I assume it's a joke. I know they can right as many as they see fit. But there is a number that the department as a whole MUST produce. If they do not do so in consecutive months their budget gets decreased.

Ever think it's odd to see all the CHP out in force the last 3-5 days of the month?

There's a reason why this poster can't back up his statement. He's wrong.

From the California Vehicle Code:

41600. For purposes of this chapter, "arrest quota" means any requirement regarding the number of arrests made, or the number of citations issued, by a peace officer, or parking enforcement employee, or the proportion of those arrests made and citations issued by a peace officer or parking enforcement employee, relative to the arrests made and citations issued by another peace officer or parking enforcement employee, or group of officers or employees.

41601. For purposes of this chapter, "citation" means a notice to appear, notice of violation, or notice of parking violation.

41601.5. For purposes of this chapter, "agency" includes the Regents of the University of California.

41602. No state or local agency employing peace officers or parking enforcement employees engaged in the enforcement of this code or any local ordinance adopted pursuant to this code, may establish any policy requiring any peace officer or parking enforcement employees to meet an arrest quota.

41603. No state or local agency employing peace officers or parking enforcement employees engaged in the enforcement of this code shall use the number of arrests or citations issued by a peace officer or parking enforcement employees as the sole criterion for promotion, demotion, dismissal, or the earning of any benefit provided by the agency. Those arrests or citations, and their ultimate dispositions, may only be considered in evaluating the overall performance of a peace officer or parking enforcement employees. An evaluation may include, but shall not be limited to, criteria such as attendance, punctuality, work safety, complaints by citizens, commendations,
demeanor, formal training, and professional judgment.

Any questions?

Ron-Solo
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM

OK, You've said your piece and now you've gone beyond the scope of this forum. You are so far off base with your "Quota" theory that your opinion and comments are on the grounds of violationg the rules of this forum.

Time for you to go. Bye-Bye.

Triad
08-31-2009, 1:24 PM
Been a strong advocate of:

"Under 9, your doing fine. Over 9, your *** is mine."

Mostly because I cant think of anything cleaver for 10mph

slowjonn
08-31-2009, 4:14 PM
Aw your not trying hard enough.

"Under 10, you win. Over 10, I use my pen" :D

IrishJoe3
08-31-2009, 11:40 PM
know you are jamming his gun. The detector only warns you.

LOL you sir are a wise man!:D

ronaldraymond2
06-18-2013, 2:12 PM
Aw your not trying hard enough.

"Under 10, you win. Over 10, I use my pen" :D

or "10 or less I don't address" for the first part

Or if you really want to test the judge's patience (after all, there is an 84% chance that 1 over by LIDAR is correct...)

"Heed the sign and you'll be fine; miss by 1, your *** is done."

NytWolf
06-18-2013, 2:28 PM
There are sites dedicated to dealing with speeding tickets, but the bottom line is the law needs to be fixed.

On roads with speed limts of 50 mph or less, traffic engineering surveys are supposed to be done within 5 years to measure flow of traffic. The speed limit is supposed to be what the top 85th percentile of traffic flows, generally it is rounded down so that it is in 5 mph increments.
I'm not sure how your statement helps. But one of the definitions of a "speed trap" is using an electronic speed capturing device, like a radar gun, on a stretch of highway where there has not been a traffic survey done in the last SEVEN years.

You can make a arguement that if you were driving say 45mph in a 35 mph zone at 12am and there was no traffic, that even though you were exceeding the speed limit, that it was a safe speed for conditions.
That is the prima facie speed limit law. CVC 22350

On the highways were the speed limit is 55mph or higher, the rules are different, the speed limit is what it says, period.
That is the MAX speed limit law. CVC 22349

They don't do traffic surveys and even if they did, the state limits max speed on highways to 65/70mph.
The MAX speed limit law is JUST THAT ... the MAX. Arguing that safe road conditions allow for greater speeds do not apply.
CVC 22350 and CVC 22349 are mutually exclusive.

If you say you were going 70 in a 65 in traffic court, you are guilty, you really have no defense except the mercy of the court.

Generally speaking, most police won't bother you if you are 5mph over, if you are 6 to 10mph over, maybe. If you are more than 10 mph over the limit, you are risking a ticket.

Nicki

I'm not going to address the rest of the statements, cause my eyeballs ache trying to read that.

Samuelx
06-18-2013, 2:36 PM
or "10 or less I don't address" for the first part

Or if you really want to test the judge's patience (after all, there is an 84% chance that 1 over by LIDAR is correct...)

"Heed the sign and you'll be fine; miss by 1, your *** is done."

Did you intentionally exhume a 4 year old thread? :eek:

ronaldraymond2
06-18-2013, 3:16 PM
Did you intentionally exhume a 4 year old thread? :eek:

I like to think of it as, I intentionally REVIVED a GREAT thread. The fact that it was 4 years old had no bearing in my decision. Age only counts in horsesh**s and hand grenades.

Doheny
06-18-2013, 4:18 PM
I like to think of it as, I intentionally REVIVED a GREAT thread. The fact that it was 4 years old had no bearing in my decision. Age only counts in horsesh**s and hand grenades.

Welcome to CG. You'll go far here... :facepalm:

IEChuck
06-18-2013, 4:52 PM
You have a commercial license and you drive 84 in a 65? I drive 72-73 most of the time on So Cal frwys and haven't been stopped in 17 yrs. That's in bone stock cars, even with tinted windows. You are driving too fast, in a car that is probably a cop catcher. Good luck.

IEChuck
06-18-2013, 4:54 PM
Oh wow, just read the post above mine, need to check those OP dates! Got me!

anbu_yoshi
06-18-2013, 5:00 PM
LOL. I just noticed this after reading through the entire thread. Well, if one guy asks, I'm sure there's more younger members who've thought of the same thing.

Remember that the younger generation finds it difficult to research, think for themselves, and use logic/common sense.

Anyways, since we're on the topic... I cannot believe that NO ONE posted this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k‎

PS To all of you bling blingers with big o wheels...

Changes in wheel/tire sizing from factory modifies the way your speedometer reads at varied speeds. You may think you're going 65, but you could be going + or -.

retired
06-18-2013, 5:02 PM

Well, don't intentionally revive an old thread in the future; especially one this old. If you have a legitimate question you want to ask a leo, go ahead and post it, but please do not do this again.