PDA

View Full Version : What is your department and What do you carry?

jlh95811
06-19-2009, 4:14 AM
I'm very interested in LEO carry weapons. I always want to ask, but am not sure the response I'd get, LEO's about what they are carrying when I see them in public.

So...
What is your department/title?
What is your Duty Weapon?
How do you like it?
What is your favorite from your personal collection?
Can I touch it? :o

matrix056
06-19-2009, 4:33 AM
Bay Area SO
Sig P226R .357 Sig
Great!!
HK USP .45 Full size
No!!

jlh95811
06-19-2009, 4:37 AM
Bay Area SO
Sig P226R .357 Sig
Great!!
HK USP .45 Full size
No!!

I've never shot a Sig... How's the trigger?

:(

matrix056
06-19-2009, 4:39 AM
DA/SA is so smooth. Have a 239 with the same trigger, the reset is the best part!

jlh95811
06-19-2009, 4:50 AM
DA/SA is so smooth. Have a 239 with the same trigger, the reset is the best part!

Short and Crisp? Ever shoot a Beretta? I'm looking for something to compare it to.

Jonathan Doe
06-19-2009, 8:10 AM
I carry P220 with short reset trigger. I like it. I also have a shorter trigger on my P226. I also like it.

CaliTheKid
06-19-2009, 8:27 AM
LASD, P2000 LEM in 9MM. I like it a lot.

Ron-Solo
06-19-2009, 4:27 PM
LASD / LT
H&K P2000 LEM in 9mm. Love it!
It is my favorite.

Sometimes carry my 92F

If we're at a range together, you can shoot it!

sgtbuck
06-19-2009, 9:04 PM
I carry P220 with short reset trigger. I like it. I also have a shorter trigger on my P226. I also like it.

Sig P226 9mm first 14 years and Sig P226 .40 s&w last 2 years before retirement.

When I was in a gun battle with a gang member they took my gun and tested it to make sure I did not make any changes to it. Everything had to be within factory specs. they even checked the trigger pull in D/A and S/A. They also took all my ammo that was left in my mag and checked it. They did give me a replacement gun while they were testing it. It took over eight weeks to get it back. SOP

For you guys that use the 9mm.......
I loved my Sigs but please don't put too much faith in the 9mm round. I hit the suspect right in the 10 ring with my first shot (147 grain SS). It should have stopped the suspect cold but failed to do so. It bounced off his sternum came out his side and shattered a glass window he was in front of. We hit the Suspect a total of 7 times before we were able to stop him. After being hit he was still able to pull the trigger twice on his gun before our rounds took him down.

If you have a 9mm be very carful of the round you are using making sure it will do the job required. The whole time I was shooting the suspect I kept thinking to myself that I know I am hitting him why isn't he going down? Why is he still shooting back. Him and I was face to face within 10 feet. No time for cover no time to do anything but point and shoot. The suspect was 5' 4" over 300#.

And to think I did this job for free for almost 16 years...:eek: But I did love it. You guys be carful out there.

One more thing this happened many many years ago so it is safe to talk about but I also did not say my Agency just to be sure.

jlh95811
06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Sig P226 9mm first 14 years and Sig P226 .40 s&w last 2 years before retirement.

When I was in a gun battle with a gang member they took my gun and tested it to make sure I did not make any changes to it. Everything had to be within factory specs. they even checked the trigger pull in D/A and S/A. They also took all my ammo that was left in my mag and checked it. They did give me a replacement gun while they were testing it. It took over eight weeks to get it back. SOP

I loved my Sigs but please don't put too much faith in the 9mm round. I hit the suspect right in the 10 ring with my first shot (147 grain SS). It should have stopped the suspect cold but failed to do so. It bounced off his sternum came out his side and shattered a glass window he was in front of. We hit the Suspect a total of 7 times before we were able to stop him. After being hit he was still able to pull the trigger twice on his gun before our rounds took him down.

If you have a 9mm be very carful of the round you are using making sure it will do the job required. The whole time I was shooting the suspect I kept thinking to myself that I know I am hitting him why isn't he going down? Why is he still shooting back. Him and I was face to face within 10 feet. No time for cover no time to do anything but point and shoot. The suspect was 5' 4" over 300#.

And to think I did this job for free for almost 16 years...:eek: But I did love it. You guys be carful out there.

One more thing this happened many many years ago so it is safe to talk about but I also did not say my Agency just to be sure.

Sounds like a nightmare! Glad you made it out the other side. ;)

M198
06-20-2009, 12:24 AM

5'4" and 300+? Maybe you should carry a harpoon gun. At the very least a 12 gauge slug.

erik18
06-20-2009, 2:59 AM
ocsd deputy

we are issued glock 22's but I turned mine in and I use my own personal Sig P226R with Sig SRT trigger installed. I love it.

gumby
06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
+1 erik18, except mine is a Beretta 92 centurion.

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Sure the bigger the round,,maybe better it perfoms. As a person working at a crime lab, I see all kinds of bullets recovered from autopsy. Most common? 22LR, 38 SPL LRN, 9mm FMJ. I see a lot of one shot kills with 22LR also.

I have seen JHP duty bullets plugged up at the cavity and essentially becomes a JHP. No matter what the caliber is used, the location of shots are most important.

Just because on has the best performing bullet doesn't mean the target will go down with one shot. That is why follow up/ target coverage is very important after you shoot.

sgtbuck
06-20-2009, 10:43 AM
5'4" and 300+? Maybe you should carry a harpoon gun. At the very least a 12 gauge slug.

Yep it just shows you that you never know what you are going to come up agianst. I would have had my Shotgun that night but I was driving a Supervisor car and there was no shotgun racks in the Super cars. But you know SH... My partner and I wen't home at the end of our shift, we saved the people in the restaurant so thats all that really counts.

creampuff
06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I loved my Sigs but please don't put too much faith in the 9mm round. I hit the suspect right in the 10 ring with my first shot (147 grain SS).

Sorry for derailing this thread, but now you have my curiousity. What brand or type of HP was this 147 grain?

sgtbuck
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
This happened 15 years ago so I do not remember the brand. I want to say Winchester? What I do remember is that it was suppose to be the round that the FBI came up with after the famous FBI shootout in Florida. They had replaced our old silver tips with them. They were called controlled expansion sub sonic. Nine months after my shooting my Department had another. They had a Suspect with a shotgun and hit him over 20+ times before the threat stopped. We changed rounds within four months after that. The round just would not penetrate as from what I saw.

Topgun
I never expected him to go down with one shot. But after two and three I was starting to think wth. He was shooting back point blank at my head. Funny things go through your mind when SHTF. We were trained to double tap to the chest then follow up with another until the threat is stopped. Another weird thing was I never heard my partners gun or my gun go off. I knew I was firing because of the recoil. I also suffered tunnel vision during the shooting and our cover Officers that arrived on the seen said I was as white as a sheet of paper.

It has takin me many years to be able to talk about this. It was not something I am proud of. It was something I was forced to do. It is something I would not want anyone to have to experience. I came very close to dying that day. I am alive because the suspects gun misfired. I did not do anything that any other LEO would not have done to protect those people that day. I just happened to be the one that got the radio call.

SVT-40
06-20-2009, 3:45 PM
Sorry for derailing this thread, but now you have my curiousity. What brand or type of HP was this 147 grain?

Probably the Winchester 147 grain Subsonic round. It was at the time touted as "the best" of the best.

We tested it and found using it in most pistols resulted in ZERO expansion in flesh. It just flat would not expand.

I think LASD also used the same round. One night in our town an off duty deputy shot a intruder in her house using the 147 grain sub sonic out of her Beretta 92f. She hit him in the butt while he was running down the hallway. the round traveled down his leg and exited just above his knee. We followed the blood trail down the street to the crooks house. The suspect was still wearing his pants when we caught him. While he was getting treated, the paramedics cut the suspects pants off. Out popped the slug right at it's exit point from his leg. The slug had just enough energy to exit his leg, but not enough to penetrate his pants. The slug was in perfect condition with ZERO expansion even though it was a close proximity shooting and penetrated around 18" of tissue.

Our agency went to the Winchester 127 grain +p+ 9mm. Great round, with good penetration and reliable expansion.

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 7:53 PM
Topgun
I never expected him to go down with one shot. But after two and three I was starting to think wth. He was shooting back point blank at my head. Funny things go through your mind when SHTF. We were trained to double tap to the chest then follow up with another until the threat is stopped. Another weird thing was I never heard my partners gun or my gun go off. I knew I was firing because of the recoil. I also suffered tunnel vision during the shooting and our cover Officers that arrived on the seen said I was as white as a sheet of paper.

I see what you mean. I used to be an instructor at the range and we teach failure drill when the suspect does not become incapacitated.

I am not talking down anyone's opinion on the performance of bullets. Only thing for sure is that the bullets do not perform just like the ones you see on a catalogs. As a forensic firearms examiner at a crime lab, I see all kinds of strange things that bullets do.

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 7:54 PM
Probably the Winchester 147 grain Subsonic round. It was at the time touted as "the best" of the best.

We tested it and found using it in most pistols resulted in ZERO expansion in flesh. It just flat would not expand.

I think LASD also used the same round. One night in our town an off duty deputy shot a intruder in her house using the 147 grain sub sonic out of her Beretta 92f. She hit him in the butt while he was running down the hallway. the round traveled down his leg and exited just above his knee. We followed the blood trail down the street to the crooks house. The suspect was still wearing his pants when we caught him. While he was getting treated, the paramedics cut the suspects pants off. Out popped the slug right at it's exit point from his leg. The slug had just enough energy to exit his leg, but not enough to penetrate his pants. The slug was in perfect condition with ZERO expansion even though it was a close proximity shooting and penetrated around 18" of tissue.

Our agency went to the Winchester 127 grain +p+ 9mm. Great round, with good penetration and reliable expansion.

I don't remember exactly, but I think I may have been to that shooting scene for a CSI.

SVT-40
06-21-2009, 8:57 PM
I don't remember exactly, but I think I may have been to that shooting scene for a CSI.

It was a number of years ago probably in the late 1980's.

SoCalDep
06-21-2009, 9:02 PM
LASD...Currently Carry a Sig P226R with short trigger and Surefire X200A weaponlight. Win 147gr Ranger-T ammo.

As for the effectiveness issue, I would submit that handgun ammunition in general is no "one-shot-stop" guarantee. One of the guys in my academy (went through with a participating city department) ended up shooting a guy point blank in the chest with a .40S&W Glock 22. I think it was Gold Dot ammo, but not sure. The guy led officers in a pursuit and survived.

I know several deputies who made stopping hits with 9mm, some who hit but did not immediately stop, and at least one who made two solid chest hits with a .45ACP and the suspect ran away to be caught later.

That's one reason why I really like the boomer. I've had a couple sideways glances because I break it out more than others do, but lets just say it inspires confidence in me and after seeing the reaction of more than one suspect, I think it erodes a bit of confidence in them.

oddjob
06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
For my desk bound assignment: Lt Wt Commander .45 ACP (personal gun)

Occasional street assignment: SA TRP, 45 ACP (personal gun)

U/C work & off duty piece: S&W 640 ,.38 special (personal gun)

Nor. Cal agency that no longer allows this type of carry........I'm old and grandfathered in. Current issue: Glock 22 & 23's.

Favorite: Commander..........It has NEVER malfunctioned at all.

Retirement carry guns (12-09!!!): Commander, H&K USP/C 9mm, S&W 640 (all dependent on where I'm going).

jlh95811
06-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Talked to a CHP today who was doing a PPT to him on a Sig P229 .40 just after I did one to me for a Sig P226 Stainless .40.

He currently carries a Smith and Wesson 4006 3rd Generation for duty. It has a rail and an auto return decocker(no safety). He said he really likes it other than the mags are only 12 rounders. Also said they had some issues when department first got them.(FTF) Said it was caused by Mags.(I'm thinking weak springs)

Duty ammo was Remington Golden Sabers. Don't know what weight. I've heard they tend not to expand properly and have jacket seperation issues. I nudged him in the direction of Federal Tactical Bonded or the new Winchester Bonded Stuff.(forget the name)

Very nice gentleman and didn't seem to mind that I have more questions than a 5 year old. :D

bombadillo
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm in the department of Home Security!:cool2:

I guard my home with the utmost of confidence and feel sorry for all who try to break in. I shoot many rounds large and small.

rwcesq
06-22-2009, 8:33 AM
ocsd
dept issues Glock 22 but i carry my Springfield XD-45 4"

Nefarious
06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
CBP
P2000 .40 ---- dont care too much for it, but it is what it is

Fire in the Hole
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Talked to a CHP today who was doing a PPT to him on a Sig P229 .40 just after I did one to me for a Sig P226 Stainless .40.

He currently carries a Smith and Wesson 4006 3rd Generation for duty. It has a rail and an auto return decocker(no safety). He said he really likes it other than the mags are only 12 rounders. Also said they had some issues when department first got them.(FTF) Said it was caused by Mags.(I'm thinking weak springs)

Duty ammo was Remington Golden Sabers. Don't know what weight. I've heard they tend not to expand properly and have jacket seperation issues. I nudged him in the direction of Federal Tactical Bonded or the new Winchester Bonded Stuff.(forget the name)

Very nice gentleman and didn't seem to mind that I have more questions than a 5 year old. :D

He's using 180 gr. bullets. He can carry whatever he wants off-duty, but has to use the Dept. issued Remington Golden Sabers on-duty.

eta34
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Glock 22. Work in a SoCal PD.

CSDGuy
06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
He's using 180 gr. bullets. He can carry whatever he wants off-duty, but has to use the Dept. issued Remington Golden Sabers on-duty.
Departments that have to purchase LOTS of ammunition will often purchase whatever is cheapest of the bids that meet spec at the time. This year, it's the Golden Sabers... Next year, it might be Winchester Ranger-T's... The year after Speer Gold Dots... Their training/qualification/requalification and issuance to duty officers in larger departments can be, well, extremely expensive. A couple hundred or a couple thousand dollars difference between the cheapest and the best ammunition might actually have the smaller department choose the better ammo.

Department policy exists for a reason... Standardization of even those things makes it easier for another officer to take the stand and say... well, this is how we were trained and how we are supposed to do things. Officer xxx appeared to follow standard procedure... right down to use of the issued ammunition.

El Gato
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm very interested in LEO carry weapons. I always want to ask, but am not sure the response I'd get, LEO's about what they are carrying when I see them in public.

So...
How do you like it?

Kern County Probation - DPO II
Glock 22(dept issued) - personally purchased surefire 300 with remote switch and safariland holster
Love it... very reliable
Personal - Volkman Custom combat 5 in 1911 - wearing it now
reach to touch and you might be missing some digits....:cool2:

J_B
06-23-2009, 2:51 PM

So...
How do you like it?

Nor Cal, Sacramento area-ish..patrol deputy, FTO
Sig P226R w/X300 Surefire
I love it...it worked and worked well when I needed it to.
My favorite is my G27 w/G23 mags...very nice for off-duty
Negative Ghostrider

gn3hz3ku1*
06-23-2009, 2:57 PM
what sucks is.. if i shot a home intruder in the ***.. id go to jail because i dont have a badge.

CSDGuy
06-23-2009, 3:14 PM

So...
How do you like it?
If a LEO is wearing it... if you reach for it, you should EXPECT to get a SEVERE beating. Even the most Pro-2A LEO that I know will do this. It seems that they have this thing about their own safety. I have had one or two LEO unholster, clear/safe their pistol... but they know me personally, and know I'm not unsafe. No, I didn't ask them to. The key thing is... the LEO is the one that will decide if you get to handle their weapon. I absolutely do NOT expect the average LEO to allow me to handle their service weapon, nor will I ask. I would probably give them a ration and a half of poop if they did...

gn3hz3ku1*
06-23-2009, 3:23 PM
If a LEO is wearing it... if you reach for it, you should EXPECT to get a SEVERE beating. Even the most Pro-2A LEO that I know will do this. It seems that they have this thing about their own safety. I have had one or two LEO unholster, clear/safe their pistol... but they know me personally, and know I'm not unsafe. No, I didn't ask them to. The key thing is... the LEO is the one that will decide if you get to handle their weapon. I absolutely do NOT expect the average LEO to allow me to handle their service weapon, nor will I ask. I would probably give them a ration and a half of poop if they did...

uhhh i think if he reachs for anyone's gun he might have to face consequences..

however i think he meant to ask... he never said he was going to just reach for it...

jlh95811
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm sure most folks know I would never reach for a gun that wasn't mine no matter who was carrying it. It was more of a joke than anything but I would not turn down the opportunity if it were offered.

SVT-40 you really need to calm down. That behavior is unacceptable. If you are a LEO then I feel sorry for everyone in your jurisdiction. Anyone with a tendency to fly of the handle so fast for so petty a statement is a danger to everyone around them especially when they are trusted with such power and responsibility. So please tuck your superiority complex back into your pocket and learn to act like a reasonable adult with a shred of decency.

J_B
06-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm sure most folks know I would never reach for a gun that wasn't mine no matter who was carrying it. It was more of a joke than anything but I would not turn down the opportunity if it were offered.

SVT-40 you really need to calm down. That behavior is unacceptable. If you are a LEO then I feel sorry for everyone in your jurisdiction. Anyone with a tendency to fly of the handle so fast for so petty a statement is a danger to everyone around them especially when they are trusted with such power and responsibility. So please tuck your superiority complex back into your pocket and learn to act like a reasonable adult with a shred of decency.

If someone stops me and starts asking me about my duty weapons, I'm going to guess it's you as you're from Sacotomatoes.

masameet
06-24-2009, 1:46 AM
Some years back in talking with a F&G LEO (I think he was an LT) at an auto parts store, and without my prompting, he pulled his pistol from his holster, ejected the live rounds from the mag, re-inserted the mag, and then handed me his pistol. It was the first one I'd ever got to hold and might have been a Glock. But I don't remember.

And recently while standing in line at a local jc I asked a Concord PD officer if he was carrying a Nighthawk 1911 and he said it was a Wilson CQB 1911. Eight rounds only! I said. And then he turned to let me see the four extra loaded mags he was carrying. lol And the CoCo County sheriff's deputy at the courthouse said he hated the previously issued S&W 5096 (I think that's the model number) and now loves carrying his Sig 229 (deputies also can supposedly carry the Sig 226).

jlh95811
06-24-2009, 2:10 AM
If someone stops me and starts asking me about my duty weapons, I'm going to guess it's you as you're from Sacotomatoes.

I'll ask now...
Is your 226 chambered in 9mm or .40s&w?
Any upgrades to trigger or anything?

I'm hearing a few LEOs talk about the short reset trigger.

What ammo are you packing?

SVT-40
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM

I really don't know what "behavior" you are talking about? I'm retired now by the way so I can have a different opinion than when I was working. But like water off a duck's back I'll just let you comments go.

I do like your avatar though:)

retired
06-24-2009, 3:03 PM
I really don't know what "behavior" you are talking about? I'm retired now by the way so I can have a different opinion than when I was working. But like water off a duck's back I'll just let you comments go.

I do like your avatar though:)

I believe you do know what "behavior" he is objecting to and if you recall the two lines in particular that he is obviously referring to, you will hopefully realize they are a violation of the standard rules of this site.

You may be allowed to have a different opinion now that you are retired, but you may not present it in the manner you did.

Triad
06-24-2009, 5:09 PM
How do you like it?
Can I touch it?

So. Cal SO, Deputy (Rather not say for who, sorry)
Glock 22
Its goes "bang" when I pull the trigger. Easy to use and clean.
Springfield Micro Operator .45
If I ever run into you at the range, sure.