View Full Version : high cap mag question

06-18-2009, 4:34 PM
hello all,
i have a question real fast. i know that high caps are illegal here in cali. but here is my question...
i have a glock 17 with 3 10 rnd mags. it just so happens that one of the mags will accept a 11th round. now keep in mind that this is a completely factory stock mag. i have in no way modified this magazine. it just so happens that this is the magazine that came with my glock. my question is, is this mag "illegal"? and if so what should i do about it? (besideds the obvious "give it to me", or "throw it away")

06-18-2009, 6:02 PM
Possession of high-cap magazines in not illegal. However if I were you I would "fix" the mag so it could only hold ten rounds. Again possession is not illegal, so in theory you have done nothing illegal.

12020 (a)(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity

06-18-2009, 6:05 PM
only load it up to ten and dont worry about it.

06-18-2009, 6:07 PM
only load it up to ten and dont worry about it.

It is not relevant how many rounds are in the magazine, the only thing that is relevant would be how many it can hold in terms of defining a "large-capacity magazine".

(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10

06-18-2009, 6:10 PM
I can't imagine a LEO standing around trying to see how many rounds the mag holds. Load ten and call it good.

06-18-2009, 6:19 PM
I can't imagine a LEO standing around trying to see how many rounds the mag holds. Load ten and call it good.

The issue is not the individual magazine although it may cause added hassle. Only filling a magazine with ten rounds does not make it any less of a large-capacity magazine. If you are going to keep the magazine you might as well fill it to 11, filling it to ten won't make a difference if it can still contain 11.

06-18-2009, 6:29 PM
Actually, I think I know what he's talking about. My buddy's g17 10 round mag could also hold 11. I would say that this is still a 10 round mag as it was designed to only hold 10 and your jamming the 11th round in there doesn't make it an 11 round mag (not legally speaking, but design speaking).

If I'm correct, the g17 is meant to be a 10+1 and if you try you actually can't get that mag in there w/11 rounds and 1 in the chamber. Or something to that effect. I don't recall exactly what the deal was, but I know that he couldn't get 12 rounds to sit in that gun and have it function normally.

Just don't put more than 10 in it. Just because you can cram 11 rounds in there doesn't mean it's a good idea.

06-18-2009, 6:30 PM
Sounds like you have one of the first run 10 round magazines that Glock made.
They had a habit of loading 11 rounds instead of 10. Usually when the magazine spring starts to wear out.
Glock changed out the magazine spring and altered the interior of the magazine body to correct this.

Take it to a GSSF match or send it back to Glock and they'll repair it for free.

06-19-2009, 1:09 PM

see #9

06-19-2009, 1:18 PM

see #9

I would avoid relying on the DOJ's FAQ worksheet for answers. As even in that response the DOJ claims that "buying" a high-capacity magazine is prohibited by law. The statute however makes no reference to a prohibition of "buying".