View Full Version : Converting the Glock 20 to .40 s&w. It's time

06-18-2009, 3:37 PM
The way I see it, when the Zombies attack, it would be wise to have something in every popular caliber. It'll just make it easier because then you'll be able to use just about all of the ammo that you find. Pondering this zombie out break, I realized that if I were to run across a large sum of .40 s&w, I would have nothing to use it in. Now, I do have a Glock 20. I was thinking about getting one of them there fancy conversion barrels to put my mind at ease, and be able to sleep at night instead of thinking about the terrifying situation where zombies attack and all that's left is .40 s&w, and it is all useless to me.

I know what you're thinking, why not just buy a Glock 22 or 23, those would be rather efficient zombie blasters? I'll tell you why, because I already bought a new handgun this month and can't risk waiting 30 days. The zombies could come next week, and then I'd be out of luck. Also, I don't have a lot of cash laying around, so I'm guessing it'd just be cheaper this way.

I've done a little research and have gathered the following, but just want to get some input from the amazing calguns community, so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

With the Glock 20, to convert to .40 I shouldn't have to replace the slide, extractor or any internal slide components. I also gather that the Glock 20 mags would work just fine. I should really only need a barrel and possibly a recoil spring. I'm thinking about the lone wolf, but what do you think? Is there a better barrel for the money out there than the lone wolf? Has anyone seen them cheaper than $120's? Do I have to replace the recoil spring / rod? If I do have to replace the recoil spring, can anyone let me know what one to use?

I thank you all in advance for all of your help. If I get this done it will really put my mind at ease. If the zombie attack happened right now, and the world ran out of .45, 9mm, 10mm, .357, .32, .30 carbine, 5.56, .308 and 12ga, but had a bunch of .40 s&w, I would be in a very bad place. You are helping to correct that. Hopefully, thanks to you, I'll be able to sleep a full night instead of waking up from nightmares of this exact situation.

06-18-2009, 4:37 PM
I have been waiting to see the LWD 10/40 6" comp (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=952) in stock for my G20. I'm going to buy cases of .40 for plinking because sometimes I just get in the mood to run twenty mags through my gun in a fury of smoke and blast. I've got some great 10mm for HD, I'm down to my last few boxes of plinking 10mm, and I'm not set up for reloading yet, so I need to go .40 for plinking.

So far, from my "research", which included a call to LWD asking the very questions you asked, just swap barrels, load your 10mm mags with .40, and get busy.

Man, I remember it like yesterday, I used to go get boxes of 10mm Rem PMC for some snappy plinking down the street and never gave my 10mm supply another thought. Now in '09 I'm hoarding my last bits of 10mm and begging LWD to get some more dang barrels in.

Let's keep in touch and compare notes down the road Penguin.

06-18-2009, 4:43 PM
Oh yeah BTW I was plinking last weekend with some of my last Winchester 10mm Silvertips and I was hitting within 10ft (usually closer) of the target @ 400yrds. That was really badass. G20--the one handgun I will never sell.

06-18-2009, 4:58 PM
I love my G20. We will for sure have to compare notes down the road. A friend of the Glock 20 is a friend of mine. I am trying to think of little presents to keep her happy. I'm planning on the LW conversion barrel in the near future, and then a stainless guide rod shortly after. As soon as I get the money I'd like a good tac light, but I just found a Dan Wesson .44 that I'm liking a lot, so the light might be a while.

06-18-2009, 5:09 PM
are you the one that has been hoarding the .40 for a gun you don't have yet??LOL.

Capt Jack
06-18-2009, 5:57 PM
are you the one that has been hoarding the .40 for a gun you don't have yet??LOL.

That's funny because in my area (SLO County) .40 is probably the most plentiful, its 9mm and .45 that has all but evaporated....::mad:

06-18-2009, 7:20 PM
Stick with the 10mm, because Zombies attack in numbers...the 10mm will penetrate through the first....second....third...fourth.....gazzillionth Zombie.

06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I have the LWD 10/40 barrel for my G20. I believe I paid about $100 but it's been awhile. I didn't change anything other than the barrel. It works fine for plinking at the range but isn't reliable enough for more than that due to feeding issues. Lighter spring might help but I'd say it works about 95% of the time.

Nice addition and it pays for itself in 10mm savings but if you're going to shoot a lot of .40 you may just want a second pistol.

06-19-2009, 3:18 PM
Wow sevans thanks for the real world report. I always wondered about the feeding aspect of the 10/40. Stovepipes? Did you inspect/smooth the ramp? Do you rap the mags to seat the rounds back? Which barrel did you get? Come on man we need answers!!!!

The glock never fails to amaze me. Make a small change, and go down to 95% reliability......

06-19-2009, 8:41 PM
I just bought a KKM Precision .40 barrel for my G20SF. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet..

From what I have read on other forums, it should work just fine.

I was very pleased with the people at KKM. I called Tuesday to order the barrel and I had it

in my hands the very next day. Fit and finish is superb.

06-24-2009, 9:17 PM

I shot a match with it yesterday and she ran flawlessly. I was very pleased to see that POA is POI, very close, if not right on.