PDA

View Full Version : Private lessons - Norcal?

kazman
06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
While I'd love to take one the courses listed either local or out of state, at this point I just can't take a whole day or more for it. Are there any ranges that offer a 1 or 2 hr private lesson, or semi-private, that could be scheduled around my schedule. Ideally including holster draws, moving targets etc. I'm thinking $50-60 per hour but wondering what it would be.
Thanks.

gunrun45
06-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Where are you located in "nor-cal"
I am in redding and sometimes offer instruction.
I am a Police Officers Standards and Training (POST), NRA and BSIS certified instructor. I am also a listed CCW instructor for Shasta County

If you are located in the bay area, there are several other instructors available.

JTROKS
06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Why don't you join your local USPSA club? Even if you don't plan on shooting the club matches they have practice days where you can stand and shoot at humanoid shape targets and steel plates/poppers.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 2:30 PM
Best bet, put your location in norcal. I know some ranges out where I am offer private lesson. Also like gunrun45 offered, there are lots of members who are willing to help you out, you just probably have to bring a 6 pack and some ammo for them.
BTW, when I got my first handgun, one of the members here at Calguns was nice enough to meet me at a range and go over the basics and help me with my shooting.

paul0660
06-18-2009, 2:32 PM
Best bet, put your location in norcal.

Yeah, it's a big place.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 2:34 PM
Yeah, it's a big place.

Yeah norcal can be where you are from... or where I am from...

kazman
06-18-2009, 3:02 PM
Sorry that would be SF Bay Area. Thanks for the tips.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 3:32 PM
Kaz,
Post in the shooting and meeting forum that you want to meet up with another calgunner to go shooting. Let them know what you want to work on and what you can offer them. I did the same thing and offered the guy money, lunch, and ammo and he didn't take anything at all. Just helped me to be nice.

rivviepop
06-18-2009, 4:14 PM
Why don't you join your local USPSA club? Even if you don't plan on shooting the club matches they have practice days where you can stand and shoot at humanoid shape targets and steel plates/poppers.

+1 - since you're near us, this weekend (3rd Saturday) is new shooter day too, see the homepage of the Hot Shots (http://www.richmondhotshots.com/) to send Bill Lepior an email and see if there's room left for you to come out.

dfens
06-18-2009, 9:41 PM
what Z ME FLY said is a good idea. I've done the same thing for friends and friends of friends. Meeting at a local range etc. and giving them some training/pointers.

And I don't and most don't charge a thing. That's how the great the gun community is. All usually ask is that the new guy just cover the ammo and range fees etc.

Are you new to handguns or just need a little more teachings?

If you are in the san jose area I'd be willing to help. Or I bet some other members will be willing to help out.

what2be
06-18-2009, 9:44 PM
Sorry that would be SF Bay Area. Thanks for the tips.

Ive said it a hundred times, but I like to keep saying it.

Go get a map.
Put your finger on the bay area.
Now look at map? Is your finger on the northern part of the state?

NO, its not, you live in CENTRAL CA. NOT NORCAL
NORCAL is the 707 area code, 503, etc.. NOT THE BAY AREA

GoodEyeSniper
06-18-2009, 9:54 PM
Hell, I'd be happy enough if there was a range around me that even allowed holsters or "rapid fire".

Z ME FLY
06-19-2009, 5:19 AM

Go get a map.

Then what is Fresno, bakersfield and central cali called then? If you think the bay area isn't northern california then everyone is wrong? Everyone calls the bay area NorCAL. Just because you are in ALL THE WAY NORTH don't think that is the true norcal. Anyways I will keep on saying I'm in NorCal since everyone considers bay area=norcal

ricknadine1111
06-19-2009, 5:53 AM
Then what is Fresno, bakersfield and central cali called then? If you think the bay area isn't northern california then everyone is wrong? Everyone calls the bay area NorCAL. Just because you are in ALL THE WAY NORTH don't think that is the true norcal. Anyways I will keep on saying I'm in NorCal since everyone considers bay area=norcal

My area code is 661, I guess I'm in Central California also. No wait a minute I'm in Southern california. No wait a minute I'm in "Oh I don't know where I am" perhaps east southern Kind of central California, man being lost in the desert is a drag.

Z ME FLY
06-19-2009, 6:04 AM
no rick you are in central central cali i believe if you point on the map since i'm in central cali or i think you would be slightly south central cali. haha... but then again LA wouldn't be socal right? socal would have to be san diego.

berto
06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Go get a map.

I don't care all that much but using 707 as a defining area code doesn't help you as Vallejo, Fairfield, Santa Rosa etc. are part of the Bay Area. I understand many of those living in the non-Bay Area northern half of the state don't want to be associated with the loons but the Bay Area is in the northern half of the state.

Back on topic, seems like the NRA should have a list of certified instructors.

JTROKS
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
If you're in the Bay Area you are in southern-norCal. :D

Lint Licker
06-19-2009, 9:04 PM
I always thought everything north of Merced is Nor-Cal I from Modesto Nor-Cal all the way

pinwheels
06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
:threadjacked:Not trying to do anything annoying like getting this thread back on topic, but . . .

I set up a training session at Bullseye in San Rafael with Matt (great guy, knows his stuff). Well worth it. Somewhat more than your $50/60 per hour estimate for the hour I got, but the hour was more like three hours.:D

Thinking about doing another. Well worth it