PDA

View Full Version : Is a Glock 32 (357sig) not good for home defense?

bigchelis
06-18-2009, 9:56 AM
I have had my G32 as my home defense tool for over a year, but I have been reading that it may have too much speed for home usage.

I use speer gold 115g hollow points.

Should I be using a slower bullet?

I been itching G21sf. I like to stick to Glock only for now untill I can afford a Wilson 1911:punk:

doctor_vals
06-18-2009, 10:06 AM
You may use this one :D

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/images/PRODUCTS/92/57/92570.JPG

ZRT650
06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Depending on your housing situation (Kids, location, walls ect.) you may want to consider a round with less velocity. If you have been itching to get a g21sf get it, you live in san jose i think thats a much better HD option. As for the shotshell option above, i wouldnt trust my life with them. Get a 12 gauge ,which you may also want to consider if you have not done so already.

Voo
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
You may use this one :D

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/images/PRODUCTS/92/57/92570.JPG

Ha! to bad his gun shoots .357 SIG.. not 38/357 Magnum..

ponderosa
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
any round that will stop a bad guy will penetrate interior house walls though.

ponderosa
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
...Get a 12 gauge ,which you may also want to consider if you have not done so already.

yes, with 00 buck, not birdshot...

JTROKS
06-18-2009, 11:56 AM
When choosing a handgun round for home defense one must consider if the round will penetrate through the walls if the round misses the intended target. I used to have my 40s as my standby handguns at home, but the thought of that 155 grain bullet over penetrating and posing a hazard to my neighbors crossed my mind. I settled for 9mm 115 grain hollowpoints and planned my zone of fire. I'm sure it will be hard in keeping your cool when a shot is fired, most people will spray and pray at the sound or sight of a gun. You'd be amazed where half of the bullets go when you pull the trigger as fast as you can, you ever see bullet hits on the ceiling, wall or top metal plates when you visit an indoor gun range? Plan your defensive area and field of fire and call 911. It's always nice to have firepower, but if you hit your neighbors you just put yourself in a big problem.

gunrun45
06-18-2009, 12:11 PM
The 357 sig round is considered to dupliate most of the 357 mag's characteristics. It is a wonderful round. That being said, you might want to consider a wolf custom 40S&W conversion barrel for your gun. You can load it with 135 grain cor-bon powerballs and it will get the job done without suffering from some of the overpenetration issues that the 357 sig will. This will be cheaper than buying a new gun, especially since the glock mags for 40 and 357sig are interchangeable for the most part (follower might need to be changed depending on teh generation of the mags you have).

45ACP rounds penetrate very well through interior and exterior walls though. Frankly, I stick with 12 guage, 20 guage or 9mm for home defense use. I load my 9mm's with lighter corbon's. The light cor-bon's tend to fragment into 3 or 4 pieces on impact with solid objects. As the projectile fragments it gives up energy into the target and reduces the propensity for overpenetration. Not great for shooting though intermediate targets, but perfect for home defense.

qaz987
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Ummmm G32..... Just shoot the perps thru the walls ;)

sspen003
06-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Not too familiar with the 357 sig. I do know that it is quite a fast round. If it is your only option for home defense right now, having an over penetrating gun it better than non at all. If anything pick up an affordable shotgun and load it with #4 or something.

Stay safe

thomasanelson
06-18-2009, 2:11 PM
357sig is a great round, but not my choice for home defense. I prefer 45acp in a handgun or 12g in a shotgun. Like a few have mentioned, I would consider getting a 40s&w barrel (Sig factory would be/is my choice) and mags.

bigchelis
06-18-2009, 2:30 PM
Not too familiar with the 357 sig. I do know that it is quite a fast round. If it is your only option for home defense right now, having an over penetrating gun it better than non at all. If anything pick up an affordable shotgun and load it with #4 or something.

Stay safe

Right now, I just have the G32 and my Ruger SP101 357 mag. I live at my brothers house (no kids), but in the next 2 months I will move to an apartment/townhouse type of place and I want to make sure the rounds don't have too much speed.

I may have to get the .40 S&W barrel for my G32, but I shoot the 45acp round a lot better. I can handle recoil, but the muzzle flip of the 40 S&W makes me less accurate. Maybe I should practice with the 40S&W more with the money I save by not buying another gun.:D

Kelvrick
06-18-2009, 2:33 PM
Something else is the 357sig has more muzzle flash than other more common pistol rounds.

Personally, I like my 12ga #4 buckshot.

BamBam-31
06-18-2009, 3:11 PM
Get the 21sf. You know you wanna. ;)

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 3:28 PM
If you have concerns about your rounds, you can always use somekind of wadcutter or hp .38 in your ruger. If you don't have a shotgun, I would say pick one up for home defense. Get some 00 buckshot or 4 buckshot and you will be good. Just remember birdshot is good for practice or birds but that doesn't apply for HD.

railroader
06-18-2009, 3:36 PM
Pretty much any standard handgun round is going to go through dry wall unless you hit a stud. In you signature you show you have an ruger sp01 why don't you get something magsafe ammo that completely fragments. The 38 special swat load breaks apart in sheetrock. http://magsafeonline.com/faq.html Mark

M198
06-18-2009, 4:13 PM
Pickup a 12 gauge. You can get a mossberg 500 for $300 more or less and that usually includes a HD short barrel and a longer 24in? barrel. I've always felt that a heavier birdshot is going to be enough to neutralize someone inside of an apt/townhome, but you might want to use 00 if the house is a long floor plan. My apartment is closer to a square so I have one round of bird followed by one 2 3/4 00, followed by 4 3in mag 00 buck, with one slug at the end just in case one of the intruders is a grizzly bear.

ad6mj
06-18-2009, 9:05 PM
Speed is good for hollow points. They slow down a bit after they hit somebody. Don't shoot in the house unless you need to shoot somebody.

aplinker
06-19-2009, 1:59 AM
Pretty much any standard handgun round is going to go through dry wall unless you hit a stud. In you signature you show you have an ruger sp01 why don't you get something magsafe ammo that completely fragments. The 38 special swat load breaks apart in sheetrock. http://magsafeonline.com/faq.html Mark

sigh...

this is the only answer on track (partially)

ALL standard handgun rounds go through sheet rock, 2x4's and then some.

So does a shotgun with buckshot.

If you want a round that penetrates enough to defend your life it will also penetrate walls.

Frangible ammunition CAN be a good choice, but it comes at price of defensive capability. Since SWAT guys shoot more and can't shoot for **** they need it. :D

Legasat
06-19-2009, 8:34 AM
Get some 38's for your Ruger and don't miss!!!

cal3gunner
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I recommend NOT getting a conversion barrel for a self defense gun. They are not 100% reliable and I would not trust my life with one. I've tried conversion barrels and they are good for the range or just playing with, but not when your life is on the line.

Use your 357 glock for now. Its better than not using anything. You never know who is going to walk through your door in the middle of the night. I would rather have a powerful round if I have to take out some body builder on speed.

Like mentioned before, just be careful where you shoot and position yourself where the bullets will exit the house in the safest direction. If a bullet isn't going fast enough to penetrate walls, it sure won't stop the bad guys jacked up on drugs looking for their next fix that don't feel pain.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-19-2009, 2:07 PM

Agreed, except that I tested Magsafe ammo for my department at one point (someone had the bright idea that it wouldn't penetrate a courtroom wall). 9MM Magsafe rounds penetrated both sides of a test sample consisting of two thicknesses of 5/8" wallboard on each side with 2X4 studs and one side of the next wall when fired at a distance of 6 feet. It was a surprise to us. Needless to say, the Magsafe ammo was not adopted.

I've never tested the SWAT load and have no opinion. My tests were several years ago, and Magsafe may have changed the construction of their ammo; current tests may yield a different result.

Bottom line, if you are selecting handgun ammo based on the possibility of wall penetration, especially sheetrock interior walls, you'd be well advised to build a test sample and see for yourself. IMHO, you're better off depending on good shot placement and the best expansion that you can get to minimize the possibility of overpenetrating your intended target.

THT
06-19-2009, 3:21 PM
ALL standard handgun rounds go through sheet rock, 2x4's and then some.

So does a shotgun with buckshot.

If you want a round that penetrates enough to defend your life it will also penetrate walls.
Very true.

JBird33
06-19-2009, 3:59 PM
As has been said, anything that will stop a bad guy will easily go through an interior wall (or 5.) Stick with the G32 and just keep saving for the Wilson you want :)

8200rpm
06-19-2009, 4:08 PM
Just use kung fu, and you don't have to worry about your neighbors.

JTROKS
06-19-2009, 6:35 PM
Double tap. Whoops!

JTROKS
06-19-2009, 6:35 PM
Just use kung fu, and you don't have to worry about your neighbors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUi68aPYP5k

JJ1911
06-19-2009, 9:31 PM
Box o Truth tested various handgun calibers, check it out its a cool website.