PDA

View Full Version : Availability of original 1911 or 1911A1's in Cali?

Kram12085
06-18-2009, 8:55 AM
I have a buddy who is interested in an original 1911 or 1911A1 (i.e. manufactured during the period for government issue, not a "1911 style" pistol). Any sightings of one in CA? Or would it be a pipe dream?

cineski
06-18-2009, 9:05 AM
I've seen a bunch of them. They're not a mythical beast. Just gotta keep your eyes open. Martin Retting has had them in the past.

DeLaSeoulRZN
06-18-2009, 9:50 AM
contra costa collectibles in Walnut Creek would be worth a call...pretty sure they have them

Rekrab
06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I actually just saw one on Gunbroker last night. It was a Rock Island I believe. And located in California.

savasyn
06-18-2009, 1:18 PM
Retting had a few in display boxes the last time I was there. All were over $2k, I believe. I wasn't really looking at them, so I can't be sure.

smle-man
06-18-2009, 1:22 PM
Just saw a mint 1911 Augusta Arsenal rework sell for $950 and it was a steal. If you are buying an all correct GI 1911 or A1 bring cash. Finding one for under 1K is rare. If you aren't a collector get a clone and save your money.

Kram12085
06-18-2009, 1:26 PM
Ah, I figured it wouldn't be cheap. I don't know much about 1911's and did a few searches to no avail so I'll ask - is there a definitive way to date or recognize an original 1911 (versus a well worn clone)?

jrara
06-18-2009, 1:39 PM
I saw a M1911a1 at Krausewerks in San Mateo.
I think its made by Remington.
It said it was refinished on the tag.
Asking was $895.

Also Tabor's in San Bruno has a M1911 on Consignment. I don't remember the make though.

mk3mitch
06-18-2009, 2:07 PM
I had the pleasure of holding one today. My Dads friend brought over his 1911, Made in 1918, served with a Calvary Marine(his uncle) in WW1, with original magazines, Marine Calvary Holster, AND ammunition ,I just about S*** my pants.

SimpleCountryActuary
06-18-2009, 8:48 PM
Retting had a few in display boxes the last time I was there. All were over $2k, I believe. I wasn't really looking at them, so I can't be sure.

They used to have a Remington/Rand and a WWI Colt. Not anymore ... :rolleyes:

ChrisDM
06-19-2009, 6:02 AM
I've seen them recently at both of my local shops, Palm Desert Gun Exchange (consignment store), and R&R gun shop in Palm Springs.

smle-man
06-19-2009, 8:04 AM
Ah, I figured it wouldn't be cheap. I don't know much about 1911's and did a few searches to no avail so I'll ask - is there a definitive way to date or recognize an original 1911 (versus a well worn clone)?

Not intended to be flippant but buy a book on the subject and read it. There are variations that are worth more and less. There are also fakes floating around for the high end versions. Become familiar with the different versions and proceed carefully.

Sam
06-19-2009, 9:00 AM
Besides, I'm fairly certain that C&R pistols are exempt from the roster as well.

GM4spd
06-19-2009, 9:32 AM
If you buy a "quote" original example make sure you do your homework and
KNOW what you are buying or get someone who does. These pistols parts
can be changed so easily it isn't funny. Also be prepared to PAY:eek: My
pictured example is all original from 1918--it has the original barrel with a mint bore.
I dare say(even with its worn finish) it would sell for over a grand.Also,at
over 90 years old it is still totally reliable.For serious social work I would
put it up against ANY 45 made today--regardless of how much the competition
costs or what it has for bells/whistles.

Pete

http://www.fototime.com/DBFE9FC741BD727/standard.jpg

Gary13
06-19-2009, 9:55 PM
There is one posted in the private sales section. $1500 I believe.

BunnySlayer
06-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Annies get your gun in Corona on 6th st has a 1911 in the case. Prettty pricey as I recall but it was in grand condition.

g17owner
06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I picked up a Ithaca framed 1943 us property marked m1911a1 at turners for $650 6 months ago. it had the correct HS barrel, keyes grips, and hammer, trigger and mag release. However, it had a unoriginal thumb safety and slide stop and WWII colt slide. I traded the colt slide for a great condition correct ithaca slide and replaced the thumb safety and slide stop with NOS parts(not cheap by the way over $150 for both!) and now its a period correct M1911A1. Alot of these guns were sent to arsenals and refinished after the war and most if not all of those ones will have mismatched parts as the armorers didnt seem to care if the parts were from a colt, remington, or ithaca. So if you find one like mine its totally fine if it doesnt match completely. Collectors will still want them as those are now getting rare too. Now an all original version with matching parst will command several thousands if not more. So keep and eye out and you can still find something.

aplinker
06-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Besides, I'm fairly certain that C&R pistols are exempt from the roster as well.

This.

Use gunbroker, other websites, as well.

They're C&R so you can get around the certification roster.

demo
06-19-2009, 11:59 PM
my frend has an old 1945 ithica, with the sprinfeild armory stamp and all. its been in his family since the 70s. but...... we look up the serial numbers and what do you know. its not an ithica.... its a Remington Rand frame with a ithica slide.

they call this a Mixmaster or an armory build. when these guns was in active service, the amromores would just throw whatever fit best together from the parts bins. collector value is near zero for Mixmasters. they are worth about the same as a new 1911. allthough his old retired half ithica half Remi rand puts my brand new Springfeild GI to shame. they just don't make them like the used to.

g17owner
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Actually you would be suprised as mixmasters are starting to rise in value nowadays. As you said the new guns just dont have the character of the old ones. I have slowly seen value go from mid $400's to around $600-$700 on gun broker and locally. The one thing to remember is even though they may be mixmasters they arent making them anymore nor have they done so in over 60 years. A forum member on another board i know has bought mixmasters just for the frame or slide to complete a build. I got lucky and now have an all ithaca gun now but i could have easily kept the colt slide and been content with having a good shooter. By the way being 66 years old its the only 1911 that i have had that will feed like a modern gun. I'm sure i could go high end and find that reliability but it amazing that this ancient piece of history works as well as it does.