PDA

View Full Version : owning guns

weezme1
06-17-2009, 11:55 PM
How does owning guns effect the background investigation in applying to be a LEO? Does having a lot of guns look bad or not?

fullrearview
06-18-2009, 6:59 AM
If an agency looks down on you for exercising your god/natural given right then I wouldn't want to work for them. Remember, you will take an oath to uphold the constitution 1st and foremost! If they frown on gun ownership then I think I can safely say they will frown on you doing your job of upholding the constitution and putting real criminals away!

coq
06-18-2009, 7:10 AM
They probably look more at your spelling.

Fjold
06-18-2009, 7:31 AM

QFT!

bubbagump
06-18-2009, 7:45 AM

+1

Spelling is very important. So is being neat. And not missing any information. And being on time. And being dressed appropriately. And not using "And" at a beginning of a sentence.

There is ONE piece of advice I can give you though. If you live in an apartment like me, be very careful when walking guns/ammo to your car for transport. You never know if one of your unbalanced hippy neighbors is going to see you walking around with a cased gun and think your some type of terrorist/gangster/Timothy McVeigh/Lee Oswald/jack the ripper type...

You wouldn't want your background investigator interviewing THAT neighbor...

Fire in the Hole
06-18-2009, 8:11 AM
I had applied for 4 different Depts. back in 1977-78. None of them asked that question. I did find out from background investigators later on, is that one thing they look for when they come to visit you at your home, is to see if you have a scanner running. They kind of frowned on that. It makes you look like an over zealous LE saturated "Tackelberry" type. Also best to remove any ashtrays, tobacco products, and alcohol containers from view.

fuegoslow
06-18-2009, 8:18 AM
LAPD really frowned on my Utah CCW. The big question for them was why and how! Needless to say, my list of weapons owned during the background interview didn't seem to help. Seems like full disclosure ended my hiring process. Good luck.

sgtbuck
06-18-2009, 9:54 AM
When I applied over 20 years ago I was asked that question in my background packet. I only owned one rifle and one hand gun at that time. Other then writing it down in my background packet I do not remember ever being asked about it or asked why I own them?

That being said I have seen people not selected for employment in LE for many reasons. I do not believe that anyone (at least at my Department) was turned down for a job only because they owned guns. Usually there are other issues that come up during the background check. It usually is a combination of things not just one that will make you fail the background.

retired
06-18-2009, 4:16 PM
I had applied for 4 different Depts. back in 1977-78. None of them asked that question. I did find out from background investigators later on, is that one thing they look for when they come to visit you at your home, is to see if you have a scanner running. They kind of frowned on that. It makes you look like an over zealous LE saturated "Tackelberry" type. Also best to remove any ashtrays, tobacco products, and alcohol containers from view.

Perhaps now, but back in the 1970s, I bet it wasn't an issue since so many people smoked. When I first hired on in 1976 and worked the jail, the place reeked. Both staff and inmates were permitted to smoke. When I returned in 1997, as a supervisor, it wasn't permitted anymore and that was the first thing I noticed when I entered security; that smell was gone.

Of course, it did allow me to notice the other smells.:eek::D

Fire in the Hole
06-18-2009, 5:07 PM
Perhaps now, but back in the 1970s, I bet it wasn't an issue since so many people smoked. When I first hired on in 1976 and worked the jail, the place reeked. Both staff and inmates were permitted to smoke. When I returned in 1997, as a supervisor, it wasn't permitted anymore and that was the first thing I noticed when I entered security; that smell was gone.

Of course, it did allow me to notice the other smells.:eek::D

I'm popping on briefly at a computer at the college. Yes, I gave this answer to fit contemporary times so that it might have current relevance. History is history. Was it just me or did the Lennox Station always smell like urine?

Unit74
06-18-2009, 5:28 PM
LAPD really frowned on my Utah CCW. The big question for them was why and how! Needless to say, my list of weapons owned during the background interview didn't seem to help. Seems like full disclosure ended my hiring process. Good luck.

Are you white? That seems to be a bigger issue for LAPD.:94:

Jak1
06-18-2009, 5:35 PM
I was going through the hiring process and the Cpt. asked me to explain some of my answers to weapons questions. I told him about the ar's and ak's and explained that they were Cali legal. He seemed satisfied and that was that. Unfortunatly, the whole budget thing reared its head and they cut staff instead of hiring.

DNA
06-20-2009, 8:16 PM
Lennox now smells a little nicer. Ever since the remodel.

Owning guns doesnt seem to be a problem. Although some also ask about gun forum membership. I think it has to do more with feeling you out, whether you're the "responsible gun owner" or whether you're part of the "tin hat crowd." But then again, the 1000 question psych test should take care of the tin hatters...

Dan

Turbinator
06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Does it raise a red flag if you own "TOO MANY" guns? Yes.. "too many" is subjective.

Turby

Jonathan Doe
06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I was serious in shooting competitions when I applied for my agency. I already owned several firearms, and competed in many matches including in overseas. It did not really hurt me at all. The background investigator came to my house and saw my trophies and he said he was impressed. I have been on the department for almost 23 years now.

A kid who used me as a reference, applied for the LAPD and he owns several firearms. I don't thnk it mattered much at all, also.