PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty/help removing the AR-15 front sight

pkoznek
06-17-2009, 7:14 PM
Hello,

I am trying to remove the front sight on my Stag Arms AR-15. Although I have found several guides from the Internet and I have the starter punch tool I am still having trouble removing the pins.

I am hoping that a calguns member may have some advice for removing the front sight or even know of a good gunsmith in the SF South Bay.

Appologies if this topic has been discussed many times already; my forum search was unsuccessful.

Thank you and best regards,
Paul

technique
06-17-2009, 7:27 PM
I'm sure you know the pins are tapered...they only come out one way.

Stag is a tricky company...I have found most stag pins come out opposite the ejection side (most others go out towards ejection)

You are going to have to eyeball it, find out what side is bigger. Maybe measure if you have something to use.

Stag pins are a biotch. Very hard to remove. Don't be afraid to beat on it a bit.
Roll pin punches..(are cupped so they fit the head of the pin without sliding off when you whack it) work best.

I use wood if I have nothing else to support my barrel and level it out while I hammer away.

pkoznek
06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks technique. Much appreciated. I'll take a measure and keep working on it. I hadn't realized that Stag pins may come out opposite the ejection port.

ar15barrels
06-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Don't *****foot around.
Get on the pins hard and fast.
If they don't come out in 2-3 hits, stop and get a much bigger hammer.
If you tap-tap-tap without results, you are likely to peen over the end of the pin, making the situation even worse.

I have a special pressing setup to push pins out without tapping.

goober
06-20-2009, 11:48 PM
just to be clear these are not roll pins... not too sure about using roll pin punches, which if you're talking about the same ones i know of actually have a bump, not a cup on the end (although roll pin starter punches have a sort of socket). regular flat ended steel punch is what i've always used for this.
but yeah you have to whack it pretty good, and in the right direction. a bench block or other way of holding/supporting the FSB very solidly (but allowing the pin somewhere to go) is quite important for assuring that the energy you are applying goes where you need it to go.