PDA

View Full Version : DD Rail Question

06-17-2009, 1:26 PM
I'm getting a 14.5 LMT upper. Carbine gas system.

I currently have a DD OMEGA 7.0.

I wanted to put a longer rail. Any one running a carbine system with a 9.0 or 10.0 rail?

My option are:

1. Keep DD OMEGA, remove FSB and replace with VLTOR sight tower/gasblock or similar.

2. Longer DD rail (lite/FF) and replace gasblock with lo-pro.

Thanks.

aplinker
06-17-2009, 1:30 PM
You have a 3rd option, DD FSP rails. You can keep your fixed FSB.

06-17-2009, 1:31 PM
You have a 3rd option, DD FSP rails. You can keep your fixed FSB.

I want to use a flip style front sight. Either TROY, MBUS or the sight tower for this particular build.

Addax
06-17-2009, 2:31 PM
I am pretty sure you have a permanently attached flash hider or comp installed, so if you want to remove the front sight post and replace it with any sort of gas block, you will need to remove the permanently attached FH, and then have a new one permanently attached. This will cost you more $$.

There is another option, and you can grind off the front sight posts and bayo lug, and make your front sight post into a pseudo low profile gas block, then you can mount an Omega 9" or Omega 12" rail.

This way you will avoid having to remove your permanently attached FH or Comp, and save you some $$.

If you want to go the route of removing everything, this will allow you to mount whatever gas block you want, and you can then go with any rail system you want too, since you will be able to remove the Delta Ring etc, but it will cost you a little more $$

Hope this input helps.

Chris

bender152
06-17-2009, 2:36 PM
LMT 14.5" uppers do not come pinned from the factory.

-edit-

I'm partial the the DD Lite rail. I have one on my upper and am happy with it.

06-17-2009, 2:38 PM
I am pretty sure you have a permanently attached flash hider or comp installed, so if you want to remove the front sight post and replace it with any sort of gas block, you will need to remove the permanently attached FH, and then have a new one permanently attached. This will cost you more $$.

There is another option, and you can grind off the front sight posts and bayo lug, and make your front sight post into a pseudo low profile gas block, then you can mount an Omega 9" or Omega 12" rail.

This way you will avoid having to remove your permanently attached FH or Comp, and save you some $$.

If you want to go the route of removing everything, this will allow you to mount whatever gas block you want, and you can then go with any rail system you want too, since you will be able to remove the Delta Ring etc, but it will cost you a little more $$

Hope this input helps.

Chris

It is not pinned yet. I am going to pin on a AAC 51T. I know more $$$. I also am planning to replace the LMT upper with a MUR.

We'll see. I surely have to sell off some parts before this happens.

My options are AR15barrels or I may keep it local to Don Gussler.

BTW, anyone have pics of the VLTOR sight tower on your setup?

Thanks for the input fellas.

Jicko
06-17-2009, 2:41 PM
Just sell the LMT and build another full custom.

06-17-2009, 2:43 PM
Chris,

I just saw on your sight that you can do custom work. Sending a PM.

bender152
06-17-2009, 3:05 PM
I'm actually running a similar setup to what you described.

http://www.tracingcircles.com/pics/rifle0617.jpg

06-17-2009, 3:13 PM
Bender,

Can you explain the specs of your upper...

Looks awesome.

Nessal
06-17-2009, 3:26 PM
From what i read, mount a front sight on the rail itself is not ideal because you can not get it perfectly on the same plane. Anyone chime in about this?

bender152
06-17-2009, 3:43 PM
Bender,

Can you explain the specs of your upper...

Looks awesome.

Thanks.

Vltor MUR upper receiver
DD 10.0 Lite Rail
Noveske 16" Recon Barrel (mid-length)
AAC Blackout
BCM BCG

I prefer a fixed front sight, so I went with an LMT front sight. (I use the front sight to help me aim with the AimPoint.) I've got a Magpul MBUS in the rear.

All riding on a LaRue lower. :D
(Sorry, had to throw that in there. Just got it yesterday.)

Addax
06-17-2009, 5:07 PM
LMT 14.5" uppers do not come pinned from the factory.

-edit-

I'm partial the the DD Lite rail. I have one on my upper and am happy with it.

I have seen some LMT's with pinned on flash hiders.

I am not sure if someone else did them or if LMT did?

I know that Sabre pins theirs, as well as other mfg's, unless you send them a SBR cert or Form 1 or Form 4 etc.

Addax
06-17-2009, 5:08 PM
Chris,

I just saw on your sight that you can do custom work. Sending a PM.

Got it, and replied.

Thanks,
Chris

Sam .223
06-17-2009, 6:33 PM
i have the DD omega 9.0 on my 14.5 wilson barrel, i cut the front sight off and ground down ther remaning block to clear the the rail.

deez
06-17-2009, 6:33 PM
I wanted to put a longer rail. Any one running a carbine system with a 9.0 or 10.0 rail?

Neither a 9.0 or 10.0 here.

Instead, I'm running a DD Lite 12.0 on my 16" (pencil barrel) carbine...which is basically similar to what you're looking to do.

FSB was replaced with a PRI low profile gas block (man, that thing is tiny!)

Barney Gumble
06-17-2009, 7:46 PM
It's all a matter of preference. Personally I like to have less weight out front so I like a 10" rail over a 16" barrel. But if a 12" or 13" rail floats your boat, more power to ya. :D

OliveDrab
06-17-2009, 9:39 PM
i have a 14.5" upper with a 12" DD M4 rail.

the only thing i dont like is the muzzle end of the free float is open. looks kind of weird. other than that i like this set up better that the standard front sight.

Jicko
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
i have the DD omega 9.0 on my 14.5 wilson barrel, i cut the front sight off and ground down ther remaning block to clear the the rail.

Can you post some pic of this????

SMGLee
06-18-2009, 1:11 AM
here is how I did it....My 14.5inch Diemaco C8A2 barrel...with a DD Lite Rail 9.0 FSP. California Registered PWA lower..

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010295.JPG

SMGLee
06-18-2009, 1:13 AM
I have seen some LMT's with pinned on flash hiders.

I am not sure if someone else did them or if LMT did?

I know that Sabre pins theirs, as well as other mfg's, unless you send them a SBR cert or Form 1 or Form 4 etc.

You can actually order pinned flash hider directly from LMT... a Dealer upon ordering his allotment of uppers can send in the flash hiders of their choice, they will pin it...it is a dealer process, so don't eveeryone go calling LMT for barrel work.

shark92651
06-18-2009, 9:54 AM
You can actually order pinned flash hider directly from LMT... a Dealer upon ordering his allotment of uppers can send in the flash hiders of their choice, they will pin it...it is a dealer process, so don't eveeryone go calling LMT for barrel work.

Let's just say the hider better be pinned by someone or else the OP has bigger things to worry about than what rail to install.

06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
It is not pinned yet. I am going to pin on a
AAC 51T.

There you go shark...:eek:

Well, not me, but "SOMEBODY" will...

Thanks for all the input guys/gals.