PDA

View Full Version : What comes of my Hi-Caps if no longer LEO

qbi2001
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I plan on leaving law enforcement to return to the medical field. My question is: Since I legally acquired my high capacity magazines as a LEO do I still get to use them?

I assume it is not a issue, but I don't want to assume and be wrong. So, any experience with this?

eltee
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
According to numerous prior posts on the subject that I've read here and my own personal inquiries, high caps purchased while an active duty LEO can remain with you after separation.

qbi2001
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I did try and search but no avail, thanks for the info. I didn't want to ask around work too much since I haven't made up my mind for sure.

Cpl. Haas
06-17-2009, 2:23 PM
Yup... unless your department has a policy to reclaim hi-cap magazines (and I've only heard of one that does), you can legally continue to possess them. I still have all my hi-cap magazines... even though I'm back in school and not currently a LEO.

gunrun45
06-17-2009, 9:43 PM
Most policies that exist that say high caps must be returned were written prior to the sunset of the 1994 federal AW ban. After the expiration of that ban you are good to keep your mags. I bought about $3000 worth the week before I handed in my badge :) money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

BigDogatPlay
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I still have those that I purchased with my own money as a LEO. You acquired them lawfully and they are yours. Simple possession, as we know, isn't against the law. Department can't really ask you to give back something that is not department property paid for with appropriated funds.

If the mags are issued department property, they'd almost certainly ask for them back. As gunrun45 suggests, go buy some more while you still have your badge and ID because you won't be able to later.

qbi2001
06-18-2009, 8:31 AM
Thanks guys, I have to go get some stockpiled before I leave.

eltee
06-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It has also been established that the mags need not be for duty / duty type firearms. You can, for example, buy high cap .22 cal mags for fun guns, etc. I originally had a concern that when I buy them I don't get any special receipt or anything, but apparently that's how they do it. The dealer is supposed to keep records.

One thing I am not sure about. What if, while still an active LEO, you buy mags out of state and bring them back into California? Logic would dictate that they, too, would be legal but this is California... :confused:

BigDogatPlay
06-18-2009, 4:36 PM
One thing I am not sure about. What if, while still an active LEO, you buy mags out of state and bring them back into California? Logic would dictate that they, too, would be legal but this is California... :confused:

That's an interesting question. I should think the easy answer is no as it would be "importation". But there is no "permission slip" required to purchase just the mags.

What I wonder is if a retailer in a bordering state would refuse to sell, LEO or not, since you are coming from California?

retired
06-18-2009, 5:03 PM
That's an interesting question. I should think the easy answer is no as it would be "importation". But there is no "permission slip" required to purchase just the mags.

What I wonder is if a retailer in a bordering state would refuse to sell, LEO or not, since you are coming from California?

I bet the Gun Store, in Vegas would refuse. When I was still an active leo, they wouldn't even let me handle one of the new XD pistols (new at the time) once they found out I was from Ca. Said they couldn't sell it to me, so they weren't going to waste their time letting me hold it. They weren't busy as every customer was at the rental counter, they were just being themselves.

I've never gone back and the next time I go to Vegas, I'll go to another range that has full auto, not them.

eltee
06-18-2009, 5:07 PM
It just seems so bizarre (aka typical California) that if I buy a high cap mag in Truckee, California it is OK but if I buy the same one in Reno I might get into trouble as an importer. :confused:

Ron-Solo
06-18-2009, 5:39 PM
It has also been established that the mags need not be for duty / duty type firearms. You can, for example, buy high cap .22 cal mags for fun guns, etc. I originally had a concern that when I buy them I don't get any special receipt or anything, but apparently that's how they do it. The dealer is supposed to keep records.

It's legal. I've bought several hi-caps in Arizona with no hassles. Just can't buy firearms out of state. Here is the subsection of 12020 PC that exempts peace officers from the Hi-cap restrictions:

12020(b)(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt
of, or importation into this state of, a large-capacity magazine by a
sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with
Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a
firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.

eltee
06-19-2009, 9:22 AM
Ron-Solo

THANKS...I was too busy (LAZY) to look up the PC on my own. OK, bringing lots of cash to the next Reno gunshow.

tazmanian devil dog
06-22-2009, 8:38 PM
I bet the Gun Store, in Vegas would refuse. When I was still an active leo, they wouldn't even let me handle one of the new XD pistols (new at the time) once they found out I was from Ca. Said they couldn't sell it to me, so they weren't going to waste their time letting me hold it. They weren't busy as every customer was at the rental counter, they were just being themselves.

I've never gone back and the next time I go to Vegas, I'll go to another range that has full auto, not them.
I know just the range you are talking about. What A-Holes!! They did the same thing to me. Quite rude if you ask me.