PDA

View Full Version : Advice please...

briankk
06-17-2009, 9:10 AM
I keep my household .45 loaded with Cor-Bon 200gr +P, but recently turned up 15 rounds of Winchester Black Talons, 200 gr I think.

Should I stash the Cor-Bon and load up the Black Talons, or keep the Cor-Bon and auction off the Black Talons?

Either way, why?

5hundo
06-17-2009, 9:15 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't shoot the Black Talons. If you hang onto them long enough, they might end up being worth something.

Cor-Bons are readily available and easily replaced. Black Talons: not so much...

Pistolwhipped
06-17-2009, 9:39 AM
^I agree^ The black talons are hard to find and rare so I would hold onto them for sure. :mnl:

Vin496
06-17-2009, 9:48 AM
The Black Talons are a novelty piece now. They have been surpassed in technology, it's just the name and the press that surrounded them has elevated their reputation. Sell them for a profit, and buy some new ammo.

The Winchester Ranger T is the modern day version of the Black Talon.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/50rds-357-sig-winchester-ranger-talon-125gr-hp-ammo/cName/357-sig-hollow-point-ammo

briankk
06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
The Black Talons are a novelty piece now. They have been surpassed in technology, it's just the name and the press that surrounded them has elevated their reputation. Sell them for a profit, and buy some new ammo.

The Winchester Ranger T is the modern day version of the Black Talon.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/50rds-357-sig-winchester-ranger-talon-125gr-hp-ammo/cName/357-sig-hollow-point-ammo

Been looking for .45 Ranger T since it was announced, so far, no joy. Is it better (or worse, depending on your viewpoint) than the Cor-Bon?

Vin496
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Been looking for .45 Ranger T since it was announced, so far, no joy. Is it better (or worse, depending on your viewpoint) than the Cor-Bon?

My experience with Cor Bon is limited to years ago. I have run a few boxes of Ranger T and had no problem, but for the most part I have settled on Speer Gold Dots as my HD use round.

For me round placement is far more important than a particular round. Find something you can practice with and make sure your gun likes it.

Remember far more people have been killed with ball ammo than any fancy hollowpoint. Besides isn't that we use the .45 because it in itself is a big old hole maker, lol.

BamBam-31
06-17-2009, 1:43 PM
Which round functions better in your gun? Use that one.

MarioS
06-17-2009, 1:55 PM
^I agree. Load a good quality, preferably LE-grade, round and find what cycles best in your gun. You want ZERO issues. Go with that round once you've found it.

MarioS
06-17-2009, 1:57 PM
Forgot to add, I would run at least 50 test rounds through the gun to test function. Personally, I would run over 100 at least but good quality JHP is expensive so that isn't always possible. Test it through the gun in every configuration you would run it in for HD...like if you are going to use a weapon-mounted light, etc.

APNF128
06-17-2009, 2:29 PM
For my .45 I never went to all these exotic ammo. Since my first 45 pistol I always load them Federal match 230gr RN ball ammo its accurate, heavy and solid enough to penetrate a lot of thick object and barriers and not to mention make big holes when it hits.

briankk
06-17-2009, 3:35 PM
Which round functions better in your gun? Use that one.

Its a SW99, I've tried all sorts of weird junk in it, it'll feed anything. I think it would feed and fire 230 gr of granite gravel if I could figure out how to load it...

I have access to all the funny hollow point except the Ranger T, just wondered which is 'best'..

MarioS
06-17-2009, 8:38 PM
For my .45 I never went to all these exotic ammo. Since my first 45 pistol I always load them Federal match 230gr RN ball ammo its accurate, heavy and solid enough to penetrate a lot of thick object and barriers and not to mention make big holes when it hits.

As firearms owners who use our weapons for personal protection, I think we are responsible for where that round ends up ultimately. I want as little chance as possible of one of my bullets hitting a perp and then striking someone two houses down. That's mostly why I wouldn't use ball for HD.

old-trapper
06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
load your mag by alternating every other one....and send me what's left over....LOL

PutTogether
06-18-2009, 8:49 AM
Since you only have 15 rds of the Black Talon, you don't have nearly enough to properly function test the gun with that particular ammo, so I would say there is no way you could keep it in the gun for defense use. Would it work out ok? Probably, but I'd rather have the absolute certainty of knowing that my gun feeds the actual ammo that is in it reliably.

Also, the Ranger - T ammo is very, very good stuff if/when you can find it. It doesn't feed in everything though, because the mouth is wide with deep "petals." My Sig eats it fine, but my Kimber doesn't like it.

Sam
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Since you only have 15 rds of the Black Talon, you don't have nearly enough to properly function test the gun with that particular ammo, so I would say there is no way you could keep it in the gun for defense use. Would it work out ok? Probably, but I'd rather have the absolute certainty of knowing that my gun feeds the actual ammo that is in it reliably.

Also, the Ranger - T ammo is very, very good stuff if/when you can find it. It doesn't feed in everything though, because the mouth is wide with deep "petals." My Sig eats it fine, but my Kimber doesn't like it.

Exactly, you need to make sure the ammo feeds properly and with 15 rounds, that's just beginning to do some reliability testing.