PDA

View Full Version : xd 40 sights appear to be off

Electricboy
06-17-2009, 1:33 AM
at my CCW class we were to shoot an orange dot and i was concistantly low (6-9 inches). a range hand said my trigger pull was smooth. I havnt had a chance yet to check using support, but if ammo was a problem wouldnt it have been a large pattern? My groups were tight at 10 yards, just low. any thoughts?

Butter
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
At a certain point if you are a fairly decent shot (just practice) then it is probably the sights, especially if you are consistently hitting where you are aiming, just that the POA is off. To easily double check outside of resting the gun, get someone else that you consider a good shot, have him shoot the pistol and see if the same situation arises.

BTW, the first XD I had purchased, the back sight did get loose and came off. SA will fix it in a hurry if it is something like that---and if you can't find a competent local smith to knock it into place for good sight alignment.

Stockton
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
shoot it off a rest. consistant low is a possible habit you may have. See photo.

http://www.lasc.us/correction_chart_logo_small.gif.jpg

jrara
06-17-2009, 1:43 PM
at my CCW class we were to shoot an orange dot and i was concistantly low (6-9 inches). a range hand said my trigger pull was smooth. I havnt had a chance yet to check using support, but if ammo was a problem wouldnt it have been a large pattern? My groups were tight at 10 yards, just low. any thoughts?

What Sighting picture are you using?

Point of Aim or 6 O'Clock?
Were the sights changed at some point?

This is from a Reviewer of the XD:

"The manual says that the XD-9 is designed to use the "6 o'clock" sighting position at 25 yards, meaning that one should put the sights at the 6 o'clock position of the point you wish the bullet to impact. The manual should be taken seriously on this. The gun isn't sighted for "point of aim." shooting."

MasterYong
06-17-2009, 3:07 PM
I recall also that the manual for my 5" XD Tactical in .45ACP said it's sighted in for 50 yards :eek: I don't know if that true with your model but it's a thought. I always have to adjust my aim with my XD.

Electricboy
06-17-2009, 8:01 PM
good advice guys, thanks.

no the sights were not changed. i just got it in feb/09. i now think it was me, and the chart from stockton should help.
i need to find my manual. its the first new handgun in 20 years.

thanks

Jak1
06-17-2009, 9:37 PM
I had a Smith & Wesson that I shot low with. It ended up being part gun and part operator error on the trigger pull. I too like the XD (4" and 3" carry gun) but personally don't have the issue of it hitting low. Good luck!

roc
06-18-2009, 9:05 AM
what about using a bore sight to check the aim? I've never used one but it might work.

Electricboy
06-18-2009, 2:38 PM
i actually went shooting again and used support and it wasnt that far off. It seems it was operator error. But the chart should help my shooting.