PDA

View Full Version : Burro Canyon

Gisherwitz
05-02-2005, 2:47 PM
For those who shoot in So. Cal, I went to Burro Canyon last weekend and would never go back. My usual range is Angeles. With the road being closed I decided to try Burro.

First, the range office at Burro Canyon is slow and not well equipped. Second, on the long rifle range there is very little concern for safety. Pretty much anything goes. Pistols next to shootguns next to rifles. Targets shoot whatever you like. The distances are not marked off. People were shooting each other's targets. Also, I saw a lot of people muzzle sweeping.

In short, my instinct told me I should have turned around, but I have driven too far. It is a range like Angeles that is very saftey minded that put ranges like Burro Canyon in perspective.

Did I mention no running water and Andy Gump toilette.

LongBch_SigP226
05-02-2005, 7:39 PM
Did you go on the weekend or weekday?
Weekend is nuts, but then I haven't gone
there in over 5 years.

CraigC
05-03-2005, 8:28 AM
I've been to both places, and really the only reason to go to Burro Canyon is that members can reserve private ranges for their own gatherings and tin can shoots (paper only just about everywhere else). Safety is then your own responsibility.

However, in both times to Burro Canyon, we've had either an employee or a crusty old "LAPD Undercover Detective" give us "lectures" on imagined safety violations.

Gisherwitz
05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
I went on the weekend. I forgot to mention on the long rifle range there is no overhang. So the sun beats down on you.

Lastly, there are no silouhettes; although you can bring apparently anything to shoot at. People had hub caps, bowling pins, oranges, cantelopes and garbage can lids etc.

perry1963
05-03-2005, 2:07 PM
Went there a few months ago on a sat. and it was very busy, A Place to Shoot is my regular range but won't be open until Oct. because of road closer.

Leo762
05-03-2005, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by Gisherwitz:
I went on the weekend. I forgot to mention on the long rifle range there is no overhang. So the sun beats down on you.

you can wear a hat http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lastly, there are no silouhettes; although you can bring apparently anything to shoot at. People had hub caps, bowling pins, oranges, cantelopes and garbage can lids etc.

damn! sounds like a good time to me!

Gisherwitz
05-03-2005, 4:43 PM
That's what I thought too until I started hearing ricochets. Also, the rage is cluttered with rocks. When people shoot at the objects they placed on the ground there were ricochets off the rocks.

I'd tradeoff not being able to shoot at random objects at Angeles range for the peace of mind of knowing that saftey is their priority.

soulska
05-04-2005, 1:24 AM
I must stand up and defend Burro Canyon. I have been going there for over 5 years. Yes, the yards are not marked and the range is full of rocks. Although unlike the rest of the ranges localy you are able to shoot any bio-degradable targets... ie. Pumpkins,melons of all kinds,so on and so on. Saftey is very important, but the range masters are not breathing down your neck 24/7. If you are a regular they will have you take care of the range. Rate of fire is not regulated as much, most ranges enforce a 2-5 second period between shots. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Boooo! Im not a fan of rapid fire, but I hate when someone is telling me to slow down my rate of fire. Another advantage is that you can buy you own target stands and targets and set up unlike other ranges that make you use the house stands and targets at crazy prices. Ammo is just cheap there too... I will go to burro canyon untill I find somewhere better. I have yet to find a better place and yes, I have been to all the local spots.

delloro
05-04-2005, 8:35 AM
soulska have you compared burro to the new lytle creek?

soulska
05-04-2005, 10:24 AM
lytle creek
soulska have you compared burro to the new lytle creek?
No I havent it is way too far from where I am at. I have seen nothing but good reviews though.

akjunkie
05-10-2005, 2:09 PM
i prefer Burro over angeles. i go with Friends and always Rent our own range.

i only go to angeles for long range shooting but their range Master are bunch of f*cken A*sholes.

1st choice: San Gabriel Valley gun club, then Burro, then Angeles.

been to a place to shoot, in Saugus. its ok. not that great tho.

Sheldon
05-11-2005, 1:25 AM
What does it cost to rent your own range there?? Is that an additional fee to the regular range fees??

akjunkie
05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
www.burrocanyon.com (http://www.burrocanyon.com)

$15 per person, minimum 4 people to rent a private range.

bee7851
06-17-2005, 1:22 PM
Been going to Burro for the last 4 years, and I have to say, things have changed since the then. I noticed that recently, they've been coming down on folks a lot more than usual. I've had a couple of the "Newbie" R.O. give me a lecture or two about some BS. They even had some "Opie" looking RO come out and school us on where to shoot in our private range.. i don't know whatever.. but I don't think I'll be renewing my membership this year. Prices on targets have come up significantly and staff attitude level is on the rise.... If any of you guys try it out, be sure to talk to Andy.. he's pretty mellow and not the typical Militant Moron R.O.s

Word of advice.... Stay away from the Public Ranges, you're better off spending more cash on a Private Range....

Oh the way.. one of the greatest things about Burro Canyon is that you can bring a Charcoal Grill and BBQ with your buddies... COOL!!!! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charliegone
06-17-2005, 4:22 PM
A couple years back (when I still was a kid) We use to go to this shooting range by the San Gabriel mountains. Well, now that I think about wasn't really a shooting range, more like and outdoor you buy your stuff and shoot at it thing. It was lots of fun though, my dad had a 12 guage break open shot gun and he gave me his armscor m1600 .22 to shoot. I had lots of fun shooting pepsi can haha. My brother had some fun there too shooting his mac-11 and chinese sks w/ a 20 rounder. Man that sks was sweet, too bad both the mac and sks are long gone to other hands. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

soulska
06-17-2005, 6:17 PM
I've had a couple of the "Newbie" R.O. give me a lecture or two about some BS. They even had some "Opie" looking RO come out and school us on where to shoot in our private range..

There is some new "Range Officer that is a complete dick moron. His name is Phil I belive. He sports a 1911 on a tac leg holster, long hair, and thinks that he is the man.... Poor silly bastard. I have been going there for years and have never had anyone lecture me about bull**** as much as this *****.

Other than him everything is going well at Burro they have extended the main rifle range to 200+ yards and are in the process of laying down some concrete slab and cover for the shooters and making the distance. I love Burro Canyon!!!!

bee7851
06-17-2005, 7:42 PM
There is some new "Range Officer that is a complete dick moron. His name is Phil I belive. He sports a 1911 on a tac leg holster, long hair, and thinks that he is the man.... Poor silly bastard. I have been going there for years and have never had anyone lecture me about bull**** as much as this *****.

Yeah no kidding.. I had a run in with that guy... what a joke! He blamed a broken target stake on our group and took all of my $10 deposit for it. Mind you, it was only broken on one side... it's not like I shot the life out of it either. I asked if there was some rule on what they charge for broken targets and they said... "NO"... so I guess they'll charge you what ever the hell they want that day for it... I've always thought businesses had rules and prices?!?! http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

Guess not there!!!

Way to treat your paying yearly members!!!

imported_wallysparx
06-18-2005, 7:18 AM
Originally posted by akjunkie:
www.burrocanyon.com (http://www.burrocanyon.com)

$15 per person, minimum 4 people to rent a private range.
can just any group rent a private range, or is that one of the perks of being a member?

CaliTheKid
06-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Have shot at both Angeles and Burro-- Angeles is much nicer and safer. Burro is like a "free for all" and is pretty ghetto. Total disregard for safety by a lot of the shooters. At least at Angeles, there is an illusion of organization and safety lol.

Nic
06-23-2005, 7:49 AM
Have shot at both Angeles and Burro-- Angeles is much nicer and safer. Burro is like a "free for all" and is pretty ghetto. Total disregard for safety by a lot of the shooters.

I can vouch for that. My girlfriend and I were at Burro a couple weeks ago, and LOTS of guys were rapid-firing and had very poor gun handling. I don't mind rapid-firing, but when dude next to you is shooting his autoloader as fast as he can pull the trigger and dumps hot brass all over you, it ain't so fun. Another guy at a bench a couple down from mine had a pistol (at the rifle range), stood left-foot back, held the gun at waist level with his left hand, and with his right index finger in the trigger guard he was pulling the trigger as fast as he could, paintball style. I was watching his rounds hit what looked to be a 50 foot area of ground 25 yards away. What's worse is that there were no ROs on the line most of the time when these bozos were pulling this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to shoot at Burro is that they allow the use of magnetic ammo on the rifle range, whereas virtually every other So-Cal range doesn't. I prefer the strictness, but relative safety, of Angeles. Just my 2 cents.
-Nic

delloro
06-23-2005, 8:21 AM
Originally posted by Gisherwitz:
... Pistols next to shootguns next to rifles. Targets shoot whatever you like. ....

what is wrong with that?