PDA

View Full Version : P229 DAK...or really, just DAK

gentry
06-16-2009, 5:35 PM
I've been looking around for a P229 DAK in the Sacramento/Bay Area and haven't been able to find any stores that carry DAK.

If anyone knows of any stores that do, care to fill in? Or convience me to get a DA/SA? Anyone shot both? I'd like to here from both sides.

aplinker
06-16-2009, 5:39 PM
Do you plan on carrying your gun? Do you primarily shoot DA revolvers? What other guns do you shoot?

I have a P220 in DAK and many DA/SA and a SAO. My answer will depend on your needs.

gentry
06-16-2009, 6:01 PM
Do you plan on carrying your gun?
Yes.

Do you primarily shoot DA revolvers? What other guns do you shoot?No...I currently shoot a Glock 22.

aplinker
06-16-2009, 6:55 PM
OK, cool...

DAK feels nothing like a striker-fired gun. The best thing I could equate it to is "the greatest double-action revolver." It's smooth for DA, but it's nothing like striker and definitely not even close to SA.

The only thing I'd choose it for is concealed carry. Even then, given my familiarity with DA/SA, it wouldn't be my 1st choice.

In summary, if a nice, tight, light trigger is your priority, skip it. If your priority is safety with consistent trigger pull, then it's a good choice.

GoodEyeSniper
06-16-2009, 7:40 PM
I never got the appeal of DAK.

I'd choose a cocked and locked DA/SA or just SA any day of the week. Though I guess Sigs don't have safeties, so if you had to carry a sig I could see it.

KegCommando
06-16-2009, 8:05 PM
This is kind of discouraging.

I was kinda hoping this was a good way to have a consistant trigger pull in a non-striker pistol without an overly heavy DAO.

dpark514
06-16-2009, 8:26 PM
Well if your willing to jump ship and go with a HK i would recommend the LEM trigger. If you got to www.youtube.com and search HK LEM there is a demo of how the trigger might be like. Normally the trigger pull is around 7.5-8.5 but if you want to lighten it even more you can just order a couple of springs and change them out to get a 4.5-5.5 trigger pull.

aplinker
06-16-2009, 8:37 PM
You can lighten DAK, as well.

They're essentially equivalent, DAK and LEM.

It's not so much the weight I have an issue with, but the travel and reset.

bigbob76
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I've been looking around for a P229 DAK in the Sacramento/Bay Area and haven't been able to find any stores that carry DAK.

If anyone knows of any stores that do, care to fill in? Or convience me to get a DA/SA? Anyone shot both? I'd like to here from both sides.

Here's an observation; the defensive pistol courses I've taken always had guys with DA/SA decocker equipped pistols that they struggled with. I couldn't see why it was a problem to manipulate the decocker. I can only say that I saw them struggling and saying that wished they had brought a Glock like most of the other shooters. When the instructors are pushing you to master skills quickly that one extra thing to remember apparently is a pain for some. I like Sigs and hope I get to try the DAK sometime.

aplinker
06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Here's an observation; the defensive pistol courses I've taken always had guys with DA/SA decocker equipped pistols that they struggled with. I couldn't see why it was a problem to manipulate the decocker. I can only say that I saw them struggling and saying that wished they had brought a Glock like most of the other shooters. When the instructors are pushing you to master skills quickly that one extra thing to remember apparently is a pain for some. I like Sigs and hope I get to try the DAK sometime.

THIS is why DA/SA is an issue. If you're not accustomed to using it, you're much better off with striker, SAO or a DAO derivative (DAO/DAK/LEM, etc)

With DA/SA, there are extra steps involved. There's a manual of arms variation. There's more to remember. Every time you holster, you have to decock.

Now training trumps all, but be familiar with what you use.

thomasanelson
06-17-2009, 9:19 AM
I have both. Both have advantages and disadvantages IMHO. I like being able to decock (especially for home defense), but know in a "real world" situation my first (DA) shot and second (SA) shot may/will suffer in accuracy due to the difference in trigger pull...no matter how much I practice. The DAK trigger allows a more uniform trigger pull for each shot (provided you don't have a FTF that requires a second trigger pull which is "stronger" than the initial first stage trigger pull) but, requires practice due to the short reset capability. On a side note, SIG did have some issues with "light primer strikes" using the DAK system which may have been worked out. I would highly suggest trying both side by side or just buy both and figure out which one you like more.