PDA

View Full Version : Wilson CQB Compact

nrifenbark
03-27-2005, 7:25 PM
My Colt Lightweight Commander, Series 70, was stolen in Yuma, AZ about 9 months ago (along with a laptop computer). The Yuma PD got right on it and nailed the perps. One plead out and the other is set for trial. The gun is gone and looks like it isn't coming back to me.
Replacement: I've been thinking about a Wilson CQB Compact. In understand that it's a commander slide and an officer's frame. I would like a pistol with good parts, worksmanship, and reliable. I'd like fixed sights that hit point of aim at 25 feet and night sights would be a nice touch. I don't care for firing pin blocks, internal locks, serrations on the front of the slide, tactical light rails and so forth. The CQB Compact looks straightforward. I have never seen a Wilson pistol in person though. I would use the at the range, in the desert, carry on car trips to remote places, back up when hiking and hunting and for "home defense" in hotel rooms as well as at home. It will see some holster use for sure. I hear that the Armor Tuff finish isn't really so Tuff.
I am reluctant to part with $2K plus but will do it if the gun is worth it. Is it worth it?

nrifenbark
03-27-2005, 7:25 PM
My Colt Lightweight Commander, Series 70, was stolen in Yuma, AZ about 9 months ago (along with a laptop computer). The Yuma PD got right on it and nailed the perps. One plead out and the other is set for trial. The gun is gone and looks like it isn't coming back to me.
Replacement: I've been thinking about a Wilson CQB Compact. In understand that it's a commander slide and an officer's frame. I would like a pistol with good parts, worksmanship, and reliable. I'd like fixed sights that hit point of aim at 25 feet and night sights would be a nice touch. I don't care for firing pin blocks, internal locks, serrations on the front of the slide, tactical light rails and so forth. The CQB Compact looks straightforward. I have never seen a Wilson pistol in person though. I would use the at the range, in the desert, carry on car trips to remote places, back up when hiking and hunting and for "home defense" in hotel rooms as well as at home. It will see some holster use for sure. I hear that the Armor Tuff finish isn't really so Tuff.
I am reluctant to part with $2K plus but will do it if the gun is worth it. Is it worth it?

BigAL
03-27-2005, 7:50 PM
I own a KZ-45 that I bought several years ago. It's certainly reliable and the only problem ( afront sight that did not glow) was quickly taken care of by Wilson's customer service. Personally, I think Wilson's pistols are over priced. The KZ that I bought now sells for several hundred more than what I paid for it. For the kind of money that they are asking, you could build a true custom by one of the big name smiths and get everything you want, nothing you dont. Oh and Armor Tuff is an OK finish far from what Wilson markets it as.

Black_Talon
03-28-2005, 10:23 AM
If you don't live in Cali, you might want to consider the Les Baer Stinger. It's a 4.25" Commander slide on a steel Officers model frame. No firing pin blocks, internal locks, serrations on the front of the slide, tactical light rails and so forth, just a nicely built pistol with high quality internals and fixed Novak sights. I think they run around $1400-1500 dollars, which is cheaper than a Wilson.

bear
03-28-2005, 1:16 PM
I thought the Wilson CQB is like a Commander. Meaning a short barrel on a full size frame.

I handled one at Jackson Arms a couple years ago. They had it there for a LONG time for $1825 or so.

For that kind of money, better off to go ahead and get an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

You can find used Colt Commanders fairly regularly if you don't want to spring for the big bucks. You gotta search them out, but I see one at almost every gun show.

imported_lunde
03-28-2005, 1:46 PM
The Wilson CQB Compact has an Officer frame, meaning it is shorter than a Government or Commander. The Wilson Professional is like the CQB Compact, but has the full size frame.

nrifenbark
03-28-2005, 7:54 PM
According to the DOJ site, the only Ed Brown that is approved is the Kobra Carry Stainless. I just don't care for stainless 1911's. Maybe if I just cool my jets and wait, the Stinger might become available in CA? I do like the commander length and the officer's frame -- and all steel is fine so long as it's blued steel...no hurry I guess...