PDA

View Full Version : C&R 1911?

ccandgc
06-16-2009, 3:52 PM
I checked the date on my great grandfathers Colt Army 1911, and it states it was made in 1927. I know age wise it is, but so many things confuse me on the law, I just want to be sure before I put it in my C&R book.

Thanks!

OofieXD
06-16-2009, 3:57 PM
I believe there are no "C&R's" with handguns/pistols, only long arms (rifles, shotguns). I could be wrong though.

aplinker
06-16-2009, 5:44 PM
I believe there are no "C&R's" with handguns/pistols, only long arms (rifles, shotguns). I could be wrong though.

There are not FTF transfers (sans DROS), while in CA, but they're still C&R.

Futurecollector
06-16-2009, 5:50 PM
C&R does apply to pistols, only that they are C&R,

you CAN NOT do a FTF C&C with a Pistol in CA, unless it is pre 1895 then it is not a firearm, (im pretty sure on that correct me if I am wrong)

also I believe that C&R does not apply to the Roster? (Correct me If im wrong here also)

Futurecollector
06-16-2009, 5:51 PM
I checked the date on my great grandfathers Colt Army 1911, and it states it was made in 1927. I know age wise it is, but so many things confuse me on the law, I just want to be sure before I put it in my C&R book.

Thanks!

Cant your pistol just be transferd via intra-familial transfer (sp)???

and Im assuming its not registered so what are the implications there?

charliedontsurf334
06-16-2009, 8:54 PM
You can face-to-face transfer from parent to child. So your great-grandfather would need to give it to your grandfather who then would to give it to you.

Futurecollector
06-16-2009, 9:17 PM
You can face-to-face transfer from parent to child. So your great-grandfather would need to give it to your grandfather who then would to give it to you.

actually

great grand = grand = father = then you :thumbsup:

ccandgc
06-16-2009, 9:44 PM
thanks for the info.....actually my grandfather, now deceased, gave it to me in the early '90's. I would like to bring it back to CA with me, next time I go home to Hawaii.....theres just too many confusing things that I read. No need to C&R it? Just send the DOJ my $$$? Or? :o

M. D. Van Norman
06-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes, all U.S. m1911-series pistols are C&R. Yes, you have to list it in your bound book. ;)

Mssr. Eleganté
06-16-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks for the info.....actually my grandfather, now deceased, gave it to me in the early '90's. I would like to bring it back to CA with me, next time I go home to Hawaii.....theres just too many confusing things that I read. No need to C&R it? Just send the DOJ my $$$? Or? :o

If you have owned the pistol since before you got your C&R FFL then you do not need to log it into your bound book unless you dispose of it while you are licensed. I doubt you are going to dispose of it to anybody. Your bound book is only for C&R firearms that you acquire or dispose of while you are licensed.

If you moved to California after 1998 then you will need to fill out and send in the Personal Handgun Importer form within 60 days of bringing that M1911 into California.

ccandgc
06-17-2009, 8:33 AM
Thank you guys for the info. I will do the reg, and keep it out of the C&R log.
It will be passed on to my son.....My great grandfather was a USN Captain when he got it, on a river boat in China. His crew inscribed it when their tour was done. I actually think the Colt is lucky to be alive! I was with my grand father when he dug it out of a shed, back home in Hawaii.....it was in an old ammo can that was all rusted out. Interestingly, the Colt was with my Borchardt.....I guess the ammo can took the brunt of the rust thankfully!