PDA

View Full Version : Is shooting air rifles in backyard illegal?

Bagelthief
06-16-2009, 1:55 PM
Hello. I just bought a very nice gamo break barrel pellet gun, and I was wondering if its ok to shoot it in my backyard; providing I have an appropriate target and backstop.

Im in Chula Vista if that matters...

adamsreeftank
06-16-2009, 1:58 PM
Most cities have a local ordinance against it. It all depends. You can call your local PD to find out.

Where I live, no shooting, airguns, bow and arrow, etc.

At a vacation spot in the mountains, live fire is fine as long as you are far enough away from any structures.

gunn
06-16-2009, 2:02 PM
Hello. I just bought a very nice gamo break barrel pellet gun, and I was wondering if its ok to shoot it in my backyard; providing I have an appropriate target and backstop.

It does matter where you live. Check your city can county Muni code. IIRC, in SF it's even illegal to shoot airsoft guns.

http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/chulavista_html.html

glock_this
06-16-2009, 2:03 PM
I got busted doing this and I live up in North County. Someone heard, as no one can see into my backyard, and the cops showed up busted me. I didn't lie and said "yes, I am doing it" - he tells me it is illegal to shoot it in city limits. I say "I just bought it 5 miles away, in the same city limits, a Sports Authority" - he proceeds to tell me "you can buy crack in the city limits, does not make it legal".. :rolleyes: :shrug:

tiki
06-16-2009, 2:04 PM
he proceeds to tell me "you can buy crack in the city limits, does not make it legal".. :rolleyes: :shrug:

To which you should have replied, "No, not legally."

Josh_in_SD
06-16-2009, 2:24 PM
http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/Chulavista/html/chula09.html#9.36

For what its worth, I don't live too far from Chula Vista and no one seems to mind all the guns being discharged around here, including the Sherriff/PD. :rolleyes:

Its also fairly selectively enforced. How are the JROTC rifle teams supposed to compete and practice within city limits?

SgtDinosaur
06-16-2009, 3:14 PM
My God, another freaking law I never dreamed of and have thoughtlessly violated countless times.

Old Fud
06-16-2009, 3:30 PM
Check your city's ordinances.
I know that any kind of projectile system is illegal in Fremont, and has been since the city was formed in the 50's.
That includes the infamous Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun, any kind of bow and arrows etc.

phamkl
06-16-2009, 3:47 PM
My neighbors have seen all my airguns and they don't mind. I think it's contingent on that more than anything else. Not that irecommend doing this but you set up a safe range inside your house as well. A three car garage should work fine as well as a hallway with the house empty and a back board big enough for an idiot to have fun with.

Personally I would just shoot safely in the backyard. My neighbors have seen my airsoft M4 without the orange tip (broke off - that thing is ugly with no tip!) and they didn't freak but, YMMV.

mike100
06-16-2009, 3:49 PM
I live one street over from the city limit in the County, but it's basically "in" the city. I'm kind of thinking there would be a County ordinance, possibly dealing with shooting so many feet from a structure and roadway etc.

Scratch705
06-16-2009, 3:56 PM
setup in garage if you "need" to. what you do in there ppl won't bother with. for all they hear, they will think you are nailing wood pieces together with an air nail gun.

(not advocating illegal practices but imo these ordinances are just BS, its more about how your neighbors feel than anything.)

Mark M
06-16-2009, 3:59 PM
I shoot air guns in my basement. I would not dare have someone see me out in the open with any type of gun in SF. I shoot a Beeman P3 and P7 both are quiet enough not to cause concern.

In your case it depends how well you know you neighbors?

Beelzy
06-16-2009, 4:07 PM
It is a misdemeanor in most cities anymore.

Even in Fresno!

Steyr_223
06-16-2009, 4:15 PM
LOL! Time to get that Drozd Blackbird

http://www.airgundepot.com/baikal-drozd-blackbird.html

yWLSJWbXj5A
SoFR50yzazw

AaronHorrocks
06-16-2009, 4:30 PM
Laws that state you can't shoot, well, anything within city limits has me a bit confused. If someone breaks into your home, and you shoot him in self defense, you've just broke a city code, right?

TheBundo
06-16-2009, 4:45 PM
Laws that state you can't shoot, well, anything within city limits has me a bit confused. If someone breaks into your home, and you shoot him in self defense, you've just broke a city code, right?

Littering? :eek:

Nevermore
06-16-2009, 4:55 PM
If you're in an incorporated town or city, chances are there's an ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms, BB/pellet guns and paintball guns except in "designated areas".

Someone else linked the City of Chula Vista's ordinance, and it's pretty small compared to some other cities, and doesn't mention BB and pellet guns specifically. That said, you're probably in a grey area for discharging an air rifle as a result. Someone could call on you, and the police may or may not make an issue.

Without officially writing to the city and getting a response, I don't think you're going to get a better answer than that.

pullnshoot25
06-16-2009, 5:41 PM
In some places (like where I am at), it is technically the same offense to shoot off a pellet gun as it is to shoot a .50BMG. HOWEVER, most people don't know that and most cops are not that Fife-ish to really enforce it that strictly.

That said, if you do shoot your air rifle and are concerned, have a setup indoors. A thick wood box with plumber's putty on it should suffice :)

scrat
06-16-2009, 5:51 PM
Wow go back 20 something or maybe close to 30 something years ago and we used to do that everynight. I remember during the summer time my father and i would set up targets. Sit on the back porch and shoot my pellot gun for hours at a time. Wow those were some good times. Arcadia, ca too.

Mstrty
06-16-2009, 8:41 PM
If you live in Citrus Heights Ca. You are good to go. I talked to the local PD and they gave me 2 codes. 1 was you cannot brandish it. and 2 you cannot remove any orange from it to make it appear more like a real gun. Although most manufactures are wise to this and stoped putting orange on them so customers wouldnt modify them in violation of any law.

sd_shooter
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I posted a poll related to this topic a while back:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173724

Now I shoot my air pistol in the back yard, no trouble yet (knock on wood.) :D

CnCFunFactory
06-17-2009, 12:13 AM

This is what basements and garages are for. It helps immensely if you have a nail gun, an air compressor and some half finished wood working project nearby to explain all the racket should the local LEO's show up. :D

spimspankerson
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Is it OK to shoot a pellet or BB gun in one's own backyard?

No, per Chula Vista City Ordinance, No. 9.36.010

http://www.chulavistaca.gov/City_Services/Public_Safety/Police_Department/FAQs.asp

tombinghamthegreat
06-17-2009, 2:39 AM
Really it depends on your area regardless of the laws. Odds are if you are out in a vacant area, no one is around or the neighbors don't care you will not run into problems even if the PD knows what you are doing. If you start getting complaints or there is people around then it could become an issue.

Shane916
06-17-2009, 5:22 AM
If you live in Citrus Heights Ca. You are good to go. I talked to the local PD and they gave me 2 codes. 1 was you cannot brandish it. and 2 you cannot remove any orange from it to make it appear more like a real gun. Although most manufactures are wise to this and stoped putting orange on them so customers wouldnt modify them in violation of any law.

Sacramento county states you must not be within 150 yards of a dwelling.

06-17-2009, 6:33 AM
I'm good with shooting the bow in the backyard, the restriction only refers to public parks:

ARTICLE X PARKS, PLAYGROUNDS, AND RECREATION
Chapter 1 PUBLIC PARKS
SECTION 10106. SHOOTING.

No person shall discharge or shoot any slingshot or bow and arrow or other similar device except at a range or place designated for such purpose by the Director. (Added by Ord. 373, adopted 10-28-69)

I see no restriction for air guns:

ARTICLE IV PUBLIC WELFARE, MORALS, AND POLICY
Chapter 1 DISORDERLY CONDUCT, ETC.

[ remove highlighting ]
SECTION 4110. FIREARMS: DISCHARGE OF.

No person, other than a peace officer acting in his official line of duty, shall shoot, fire, or discharge any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm, except when it may be necessary to do so to protect life or property, or to destroy or kill any predatory or dangerous animal, or when firing upon an established firing range approved by the Police Department. (Added by Ord. 3, adopted 12-20-56)

motorhead
06-17-2009, 7:01 AM
CV code appears to only cover firearms. bear in mind that it's still your responsibility to insure the projectiles can't leave your property. this doesn't preclude a less than informed leo from considering an airgun a firearm. legally it isn't.

ilbob
06-17-2009, 9:31 AM
At one time I did some bow and arrow shooting in my back and side yards.

I later found out that was illegal in my little village.

However, shooting air guns are not illegal, but some air guns are classified as firearms by the state so if I were to discharge one of them I could be charged for discharging a firearm inside the limits of a municipality.

GuyW
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Always look up the definitions section as well. Firearms may also include air guns.

Untamed1972
06-17-2009, 2:21 PM
Is an air rifle anything like an "air guitar"? LOL

I used to shoot those "air rifles" all the time as a kid.

:rofl2:

Axewound
06-17-2009, 5:30 PM
i got busted when i was twelve years old for hunting for rabbits with my grandpas .22 in oceanside ( this was 13 years ago and gramps has a fairly large acrage of various crops)

the cop just told my gramps to buy me an air gun, so the carnage could continue.

motorhead
06-18-2009, 1:01 AM
Is it OK to shoot a pellet or BB gun in one's own backyard?
No, per Chula Vista City Ordinance, No. 9.36.010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I need to transport a gun in my vehicle, how do I do this legally?
The gun should be unloaded and in the trunk of the vehicle.

read the second bit of fud from cvpd website. NEVER rely on cops (or their websites) for accurate info on gun laws!

Vectrexer
06-18-2009, 1:42 AM
For Pacifica it is legal.