PDA

View Full Version : I have a chance

Josh
03-15-2005, 12:52 AM
to get a handgun not on the list...

I can only afford 1 and only 1 non approved. I have looked into the pricing and i can get used if need be.

The MK23 is always appealing but damn if it isnt expensive, always liked the mateba, so ugly it looks good.

To many 1911's to single any one out.

and I know there are others that either sliped my mind or I dont know about.

Josh
03-15-2005, 12:52 AM
to get a handgun not on the list...

I can only afford 1 and only 1 non approved. I have looked into the pricing and i can get used if need be.

The MK23 is always appealing but damn if it isnt expensive, always liked the mateba, so ugly it looks good.

To many 1911's to single any one out.

and I know there are others that either sliped my mind or I dont know about.

bear
03-15-2005, 9:23 AM
What's the intended use of it?

Compete? In what?

Carry?

Do you reload? Is caliber pertinent, do you have other guns you want to match the caliber of?

Josh
03-15-2005, 9:27 AM
caliber isnt a concern, and neither is utility. This is just having for the sake of having.

I guess "cool" factor plays into this as any handgun not on the list can easily be supplimented by one that is.

If you vote other or 1911, try and post with a specific model or manufacturer.

ivanimal
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Kimber is my only 1911 so that is what I recomend. I have the stainless custom.

Josh
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Kimber is my only 1911 so that is what I recomend. I have the stainless custom. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which kimbers are not on the list?

bwiese
03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">always liked the mateba, so ugly it looks good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Matebas do have a high 'weird factor' but if you like 'em, great.

Aside from 'weirdness' I'd be leery of buying one simply because I shoot whatever I own, and I'd hate to try to get spare parts for a Mateba.

I'm not sure Mateba's even in business anymore - CDNN seemed to be liquidating these "auto Revolvers" for the past 2-3 years. Parts would be expensive and hard to find - maybe even unavailable. And you can't say this is a highly tested design like a 1911, Glock etc.

BTW, if you don't wanna pay MK23 prices, look into HK USP45, or "Comp", "Expert" or "Elite" variants thereof. (The USP Tactical is not available/approved in CA since it has a threaded bbl and, if so equipped, is considered an assault weapon. You would be able to legally accept transfer of a USP 45 Tactical from another CA resident via F2F PPT _if_ it had a replacement bbl that was not threaded).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

rkt88edmo
03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
How about a trio of Kel-Tecs http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Josh
03-15-2005, 3:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Matebas do have a high 'weird factor' but if you like 'em, great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its seems american western arms is the current importer for mateba's, CDNN bought out the previous importer and just sold their stock at closeout prices.

I already have a USP match and all the USP's just have small differences from a standard USP. If I am going to get another HK its gonna be the MK23.

I do shoot all of my guns, just some I would trust my life with and others are just for fun.

Turbinator
03-15-2005, 3:32 PM
How do you get a MK23 without the threads?

Turby

Josh
03-15-2005, 3:39 PM
you buy an aftermarket barrel.

edit, well ccfa is out of unthreded barrels. So the only option left is to get a spare one from the factory and have teh threads cut off.

snwnme@realguns.com
03-15-2005, 7:07 PM
Get a big brand 1911.

I have Colt, Kimber, Springer and S&W. All are great.

Turbinator
03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh:
you buy an aftermarket barrel.

edit, well ccfa is out of unthreded barrels. So the only option left is to get a spare one from the factory and have teh threads cut off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, an aftermarket won't have the neato doo-dad "HE" finish that the factory barrel's got. I would prefer to get a factory barrel and get that un-threaded by a 'smith, but I wonder if the factory will sell you a spare barrel for this purpose? If they do, I'm sure it's way expensive.

Turby

bwiese
03-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Just remember that to acquire an HK Mk23 in CA, it's gonna have to be via F2F PPT. And the dude you're buying it from will have to supply the bbl before sale (or you give it to him).

This gun will have likely been reg'd as an assault weapon (unless he didn't have a threaded bbl) - if not, it was illegal in that configuration and he should get that threaded bbl in there ASAP.

If reg'd as an AW, seller should file with DOJ first to deregister it as an AW.

Wouldn't be surprised if DOJ checks further into the transaction..

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Josh
03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
my friend is moving here from out of state. So it will be PPT.

bwiese
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi Josh...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh:
my friend is moving here from out of state.
So it will be PPT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so it won't be a reg'd AW already.

Do tell him to make sure he DOESN'T have the threaded barrel installed on his Mk23 when he crosses the CA border - otherwise it's an unreg'd Type III ('by features') assault weapon. Felony or at least seizure of gun if something happens.

Get another barrel - even junk - installed. Just so the gun is transferrable to you.

And just because some DAs might be sensitive to this, I'd store the old HK threaded barrel quite separately from the gun.

In fact, if I were buying this I wouldn't even take possession of HK threaded bbl.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Josh
03-16-2005, 1:04 PM
at this point the mk23 is the most likely choice but the problem is locating a barrel for it, even a spare threaded to have cut down.

Im still open to other choices of handguns not on "the list"

bwiese
03-16-2005, 1:59 PM
at this point the Mk23 is the most likely choice but the problem is locating a barrel for it, even a spare threaded to have cut down.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well get a spare Mk23 barrel but DON'T cut it down. Just turn the threads off of it on a lathe.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Josh
03-16-2005, 4:30 PM
thats a good idea. Damn why did that not even come to mind.

People are voting other and 1911 but not listing what. Comeone guys, I need ideas!

chickenfried
03-16-2005, 4:36 PM
I'd say a 10mm 1911, like the Dan Wesson Razorback. Or an older Colt 10mm.

esskay
03-16-2005, 5:41 PM
What about an FN 5-7? (assuming you can get 10 round mags for it)

Turbinator
03-16-2005, 7:22 PM
at this point the mk23 is the most likely choice but the problem is locating a barrel for it, even a spare threaded to have cut down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my point, I don't see a lot of HK parts for sale out there, they seem to be pretty rare.

Turby

gobabygo
03-16-2005, 8:27 PM
I vote for an STI (http://www.stiguns.com) or SVI (http://www.sviguns.com).

Josh
03-17-2005, 2:41 AM
how much does the average STI/SVI go for?

The STI guns on their site get up there fast in price.

El Capitan
03-17-2005, 6:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chickenfried:
I'd say a 10mm 1911, like the Dan Wesson Razorback. Or an older Colt 10mm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

Josh
03-17-2005, 2:55 PM
Ive been looking at the options for SVI pistols, seems like they build them in 10mm.

Anyone know where to get pricing on one. Cant seem to locate a stocking dealer.

bwiese
03-17-2005, 2:58 PM
Josh...

CalDOJ only has two SVI pistols approved..

Infinity Trad. Target, Stainless + steel, 5" .45ACP
Infinity Comp. Target, Stainless + Polymer 5.190" .45ACP

... unless you have a friend moving here that can get one for you.

Bill

Josh
03-17-2005, 3:10 PM
My friend is getting stationed here from out of state.

So as long as I can afford it and find it, I can get it.

El Capitan
03-17-2005, 8:42 PM
Ive been looking at the options for SVI pistols, seems like they build them in 10mm.

Anyone know where to get pricing on one. Cant seem to locate a stocking dealer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would call SVI and see where they have sold any 10mm's to dealers near your friend.

Josh
03-18-2005, 1:56 AM
ha ha, who voted for the mateba?

I sent of a quote to SV with their gun builder. Ive got the jack daniels ready for when they send me the price.

Its amazing how quickly these things get out of hand.
At first I didnt want to spend more the $800 on it, then I thought what the hell might as well try and get a MK23 for under $2k and now im looking at SV widebody 1911's that seem to hover around $2k

http://www.sviguns.com/photos/solid_hybrid_d_350_350.jpg http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Someone tell me this is a bad idea.

El Capitan
03-18-2005, 6:13 AM
One more idea, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But if you want some flexibility, and especially if you are under time constraints, why don't you just have your friend pick up some frames, and just dros them for now.

Then, you can have them sent off back to SVI, DW, or whereever and have them custom built as you see fit.

bwiese
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One more idea, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.... why don't you just have your friend pick up some frames, and just DROS them for now.

Then, you can have them sent off back to SVI, DW, or whereever and have them custom built as you see fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Legally murky....

It may indeed be legal to have an out of stater bring frames in and F2F PPT them to you (DROS, waiting period, etc.) once he has Calif DL/residency etc.

However, those frames might not be able to be built into full handguns. With very few exceptions it's illegal to build any handgun in CA due to the 'safe gun'/drop test requirements. (Exceptions: single-action revolvers w/5+ rounds & 3" or more barrel length, and special cases w/ DOJ preapproval for testing.)

This is murky - because it may be a bit unclear when gun and receiver are and are not the same. Most of the time, gun = frame/receiver. But I am not sure here.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

gobabygo
03-18-2005, 3:01 PM
It's a very bad idea. In my experience, once you go with a 2011 it's hard to go back, except maybe to a nice 1911. Heh, I'm happy I've tempted you.

I'm have a smith built STI, but I drool over the SVI's. The problem with new complete SVI guns is the wait time. I don't know when your friend is moving, but SVI wait times are usually several months.

I agree with El Capitan that getting just the frame is the easiest, fastest and cheapest solution for now. (Get me one too!) You then send your CA legal frame to any smith or SV directly and have it turned into what you want. Since you liked the S_I websites here's another example for a smith. (http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm)

bweise- I really don't think the law is murky on bringing in frames if you are moving here. You can bring in any non-AW handgun. Serialized frame/receiver = handgun. He's not building a gun, it's already built (frame is 100% complete, not 80% for example). Going this route you are bypassing the drop test/CA certification issue entirely. What do you put on the DROS for barrel length on say an Imbel (FAL) receiver? And if necessary, any 1911 top end should fit on it.

This isn't necessarily an indication of legality, but there are people that are transferring in frames in this manner and DROSing them.

bwiese
03-18-2005, 3:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gobabygo:
bweise- I really don't think the law is murky on bringing in frames if you are moving here. You can bring in any non-AW handgun. Serialized frame/receiver = handgun. He's not building a gun, it's already built (frame is 100% complete, not 80% for example). Going this route you are bypassing the drop test/CA certification issue entirely. What do you put on the DROS for barrel length on say an Imbel (FAL) receiver? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, you can bring in any non-AW firearm.

The question is - from the safety test aspect - are you 'manufacturing' a handgun when you build up a frame? I am not sure that is resolved under 12128. Sometimes laws conflict.

DOJ could offer guidance here.

Bill W
San Jose

FortyFiveCal
03-26-2005, 8:52 PM
I would choose a 1911. More specifically, the Colt Gunsite pistol. It's not the greatest 1911, but it's probably one of the best colt produced. Or if you have funds, I would suggest the Ed Brown Executive Elite.