PDA

View Full Version : LEO roster exemption??

pwall
06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Im trying to explain to my buddy that LEO's are exempt from the handgun roster. Is there any official PC anyone can cite to prove it?

halifax
06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
This is the text of the BOF post but I'm still trying to find the link:

Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers

Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a
letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns
and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and
the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required
from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078).

Here's the link (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php)

ke6guj
06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php

Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers

Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078).

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(4) The sale or purchase of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, if the pistol, revolver, or other firearm is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of Justice, any police department, any sheriff's official, any marshal's office, the Youth and Adult Correctional Agency, the California Highway Patrol, any district attorney's office, or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties. Nor shall anything in this section prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these agencies of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

pwall
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
thanks guys!!! You guys have for me within minutes the info I was looking for yesterday for an hour!! I love it!!

retired
06-16-2009, 6:24 PM
I sure wish we retained that ability when we retired.:D

I realize non leos don't believe leos should have that ability at all since they don't, but it is codified and I was just making a joke (tho I really, really wish I could do so.;))

sorensen440
06-16-2009, 6:25 PM
I sure wish we retained that ability when we retired.:D

I realize non leos don't believe leos should have that ability at all since they don't, but it is codified and I was just making a joke (tho I really, really wish I could do so.;))
I wish there wasn't a need for an exemption ;)

retired
06-18-2009, 5:20 PM
Oh, I agree sorensen, I agree. Hopefully the Calguns lawsuit will eventually rectify that situation.