PDA

View Full Version : In Ko Pah road, San Diego

luchador768
06-16-2009, 2:30 AM
I went out there with my wife today, what a beautiful place! There is a lot of shot gun hulls, and a little bit of target crap. It is not horrible and a few people could make a huge difference in a day. I am available every weekend, and Monday through Wed.
Peter

Rukus
06-16-2009, 8:58 AM
How far back off the actual road did you go, there are several "ranges" in that area that all have tons of leftover target crap sitting there. Its where me and my friends head out to shoot as well. I would love to be part of a cleanup but I am not available for the next few weekends...

zoid52
06-16-2009, 1:02 PM
If you know of a favorite backcountry shooting spot, best keep that info to yourself or it will turn into a garbage dump by idiots who could care less about being responsable.

luchador768
06-16-2009, 2:48 PM
We were about a quarter of a mile from the border fence. I didn't want to get much closer to avoid Border patrol. As far as keeping it to myself, you can see a few of the "ranges" from the main highway, not too secret.

rdsii64
06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I was shooting down at jacumba about a month ago I would like to try this place out. Where is it in relation to the I-8

dasmi
06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
You've stumbled upon Carrizo Creek Range.
http://www.carrizocreekrange.org/

dasmi
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
How far back off the actual road did you go, there are several "ranges" in that area that all have tons of leftover target crap sitting there. Its where me and my friends head out to shoot as well. I would love to be part of a cleanup but I am not available for the next few weekends...

The Carrizo Creek Range group has done many cleanup and camp outs. They kind of died off when the Border Patrol closed the best parts of the range. Illegally, I might add. They didn't consult with the BLM, and did not do the required environmental impact studies for the road the constructed. Anyway, I would love to get a group together to clean up the remaining areas.

Flintlock Tom
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Please PM me if you get a group together to clean up/shoot at Carrizo Creek or In Ko Pah.

Thanks.

Trapper
06-24-2009, 5:34 PM
I have a truck and would be glad to help with a clean up, just send me a PM.

Federalist
06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Depending on the date, I'm in too. (This weekend is not good for me.) Send me a PM, or post the date and time here.

luchador768
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I am available just about every weekend, Sunday would be the best, but Saturday will work too. How about the weekend of July 11 and 12th?
Peter

Once A Marine
06-25-2009, 1:58 PM
I'd certainly help out.

Federalist
06-25-2009, 5:00 PM
As of right now, count me in too.

luchador768
06-25-2009, 8:38 PM
Awsome! I have a small truck and can carry quite a bit if trash back there. Does anyone have a trailer for a few of the larger items?

taloft
06-25-2009, 8:46 PM
I'm mentoring the WOT program that Sunday.

I used to camp out at the Valley of the Moon all the time. This would be South of the Interstate. Not all of the In Ko Pah area is open to shooting. Some of it is private land and some is prohibited by the BLM. About 10 years ago some clown shot the transmission lines that run along the hills. It cost $100,000+ to do the repairs. The BLM shut a lot of it down. Then there were the idiots sniping at the Mexicans. I would recommend that you obtain a topo map of the area in question, pull the coordinates for the area you want to go, and contact the BLM field office in El Centro prior to going out. Consider it cheap insurance. They may have reopened some of the closed areas but, I seldom see areas reopened once closed.

Just because someone has been shooting there doesn't mean it is open. I have taken the liberty of contacting the El Centro office to inquire about areas that may be open or closed to recreational shooting in the In Ko Pah area. I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

Bagelthief
06-25-2009, 9:15 PM
You can count me in too! I dont have a truck or anything, but I would love to help...So long as we can get some shooting in either before or after the cleanup!!!

Federalist
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
So long as we can get some shooting in either before or after the cleanup!!!

+1 :13:

luchador768
06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm mentoring the WOT program that Sunday.

I used to camp out at the Valley of the Moon all the time. This would be South of the Interstate. Not all of the In Ko Pah area is open to shooting. Some of it is private land and some is prohibited by the BLM. About 10 years ago some clown shot the transmission lines that run along the hills. It cost $100,000+ to do the repairs. The BLM shut a lot of it down. Then there were the idiots sniping at the Mexicans. I would recommend that you obtain a topo map of the area in question, pull the coordinates for the area you want to go, and contact the BLM field office in El Centro prior to going out. Consider it cheap insurance. They may have reopened some of the closed areas but, I seldom see areas reopened once closed.

Just because someone has been shooting there doesn't mean it is open. I have taken the liberty of contacting the El Centro office to inquire about areas that may be open or closed to recreational shooting in the In Ko Pah area. I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

That is great! Thanks for calling them, I didn't think much past rake, trash bags and pick up truck. I can't believe someone was shooting at Mexicans down there! Whatever you thoughts are on illegal immigration, that is WAY beyond stupid. I really appreciate the extra leg work you did. Even if an area is closed for shooting, could we still clean it up?
Peter

diegodog2
06-26-2009, 12:21 AM
You can count me...I have a truck and access to a dump trailer
Thanks, Jeff:cheers2:

luchador768
06-26-2009, 5:08 PM
Cheers Jeff, this should be fun!

taloft
06-27-2009, 2:31 AM
That is great! Thanks for calling them, I didn't think much past rake, trash bags and pick up truck. I can't believe someone was shooting at Mexicans down there! Whatever you thoughts are on illegal immigration, that is WAY beyond stupid. I really appreciate the extra leg work you did. Even if an area is closed for shooting, could we still clean it up?
PeterI sent an email because it was past office hours, no reply yet. If I don't hear from them this weekend, I'll phone them Monday.

Not only were they shooting at Illegals but, I was told by a BP agent that they were shooting across the fence into Mexico!:eek: He pointed out some holes in the fence to back his story. Those idiots are lucky some coyote didn't put a hole in them. At first, he thought we were border hoppers. That is why he came over to invetigate. Turns out that the area is known for smuggling and illegals crossing over. He warned us to be careful and watch our backs. Nice fellow.

luchador768
07-01-2009, 4:09 PM
Are we still doing this?

sausage450r
07-01-2009, 5:31 PM
I'm in for cleaning up out there, I have a truck as well. I'm out of town the last half of July but will be back early august. Be careful shooting out there, I have been shot at from the mexico side of the border before.

CJN8
07-01-2009, 8:22 PM
Has a firm date been set?

luchador768
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Has a firm date been set?

Sunday July 12th would work best for me but that Saturday could work as well. I work nights on Fridays so I would be a little brain dead.

AHRIMAN
07-02-2009, 7:21 AM
Not only were they shooting at Illegals but, I was told by a BP agent that they were shooting across the fence into Mexico!:eek:

I know a couple of people who do that, never with me, but they claim to do it all the time. :mad:

Grakken
07-02-2009, 3:40 PM
I'd probaby be game as well if the date set is right.

luchador768
07-07-2009, 5:47 PM
I will be going out Sunday the 12th, we could all meet at Tyler's Taste of Texas in El Cajon around 8 am. Either post up on the thread or PM me if you are going.
Peter

luchador768
07-11-2009, 4:32 PM
The clean up has been canceled, we can reschedule in October when it cools down a bit.
Peter

rogdigity
07-12-2009, 3:07 PM
would it be wrong to donate a couple cases of cold beer and sodas to the guys who clean up the ranges? maybe throw in some snacks too?im pressed for time and i dont know how well i finacial contribution would work, but i could turn the finacial donation into something incentive related, like beers. or maybe even some cold waters?

if someone has a better idea i could help with then let me know. im not rich but ill help with what i can

DukeofSD
10-12-2009, 2:45 PM
I know that this is an old thread, but there still needs to be a clean up out there. I thought that the whole area had been shut down by the BLM, but it looks like the In-Ko-Pah area is still open. It looks like some people are trying to do their part, but more needs to be done. The Carrizo Creek side was cleaned up (the BLM organized a group after they shut it down). Iím sure that they will be keeping an eye on the In-Ko-Pah side now.

Richie Caketown
10-12-2009, 4:26 PM
If you know of a favorite backcountry shooting spot, best keep that info to yourself or it will turn into a garbage dump by idiots who could care less about being responsable.

+1 to that

6blazing2guns
10-25-2009, 9:34 AM
If you don't know already the Border Patrol has requested a permanent closing for 210 acres of land use where the Airport Mesa / Carrizo creek shooting area is. A notification is posted on the El Centro BLM office site. It looks like BLM is going to grant this closure. According the the BLM website anyone who wants to appeal the closure has 30 days from 10/05/09 to get their response into the offices listed.

I have only shot out there once and agree that it could use a cleanup and would be willing to help.

The Border Patrol sights danger to their agents from the gunfire from the target shooting areas. Maybe certain areas could be posted for only for handgun or shotgun use and others for rifle or all use depending upon where the BP access road is in relation to those areas.

I would hate to lose this area since there aren't that many open areas to target shoot here in Southern California. I would hope that we could make the area safe and useful to all parties in question.

zoid52
10-25-2009, 1:05 PM
True , we should make areas safe for EVERYBODY, but the areas suggested by the BP is pushing it. Of all LEA the BP is one of the best. I have seen plenty of BP in my years of shooting in the backcountry. They seem to be one of the only LEA that do not seem threatened by someone shooting firearms. A friendly wave is common with the BP. Lets make sure to keep areas CLEAN and dont do anything to give ANYONE a reason to shut down areas.

ironcross
10-25-2009, 4:48 PM
I been out there a few times and it is sad to see it how it was.

I always clean up before I leave and end up taking out more then I brought.

I love this area and we need to keep it for us. Next time I get a chance to go out there. I'm going to clean up as much as I can.

jnojr
11-04-2009, 6:40 PM
I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

We used to do the cleanups in April and November(ish)... that's when the temps are more reasonable, but not much chance of rain.

lumwilliam
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
You guys make me proud to be a calgunner. I haven't been out to BLM land to shoot yet, but the first time I do, I'm filling up a few Glad bags of trash in your honor!

5ohguy
11-09-2009, 3:10 PM
This range is in serious need of a cleanup! If we don't do our part, San Diegians will have to drive even further to shoot on BLM land.

Until a cleanup is arranged, take out more than you brought. Every bit helps.

luchador768
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
The weather is definitely better now, I would love to head out and clean up the area.
Peter

Bedlam
01-25-2010, 1:15 PM
Let me know when!

GoodGrain
01-28-2010, 3:58 PM
Hi, I'm new to the SD area and would love to help preserve some of the local shooting areas. Discovering some of these places and meeting some fellow enthusiasts would be nice to. Please let me know.

Nefarious
01-28-2010, 4:36 PM
Ive been asking the guys at the checkpoint if they still see shooters out there in InKoPah - most of them say they never see anyone shooting out there anymore :(

I myself dont even go shoot there anymore.

leoffensive
01-31-2010, 8:09 PM
i go there a few times a year. i try to clean up everytime i go but the trash just piles up. i wish i had a pick up to haul out more stuff

SikDMAX
01-31-2010, 8:36 PM
Come on guys- please organize a cleanup! We had close to 20 people at a Santa Barbara BLM range cleanup yesterday!

We must show the Govt Agencies and public that we care about keeping the land open!

Bedlam
01-31-2010, 9:51 PM
I dont even know were this place is but let me know and maybe we can get out there I have a truck as well so that might help.

vile1
02-15-2010, 4:48 PM
I was out there on saturday (2/13/10).

WOW, excuse my language, but there is a TON of **** there.
I packed out what I packed in, but man, I can't load EVERYONE's crap in my truck!
We need to organize a cleanup there cuz it's gnarly. FUN place to shoot though, and met a bunch of cool people there as well.

More than 1 newly purchased Big 5 Mosin Nagant owners too lol. They seem to be popular.

mswanson223
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Painted Gorge is always messy, we end up with three huge trash bags full of people's crap. We even found a burnt up Honda or what was left of one.

ccandgc
02-16-2010, 7:50 AM
I would love to check this place out. And haul out some trash.

Untamed1972
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I was out there on saturday (2/13/10).

WOW, excuse my language, but there is a TON of **** there.
I packed out what I packed in, but man, I can't load EVERYONE's crap in my truck!
We need to organize a cleanup there cuz it's gnarly. FUN place to shoot though, and met a bunch of cool people there as well.

More than 1 newly purchased Big 5 Mosin Nagant owners too lol. They seem to be popular.

So it is still open for shooting? I know there was talk of BLM shutting it down at the request of CBP. But didn't know if it had actually been done or not. Was driving past there on Sunday and looked over from the I-8 and didn't seem to see anyone over there so I was thinking it was closed.

zoid52
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
BLM closed the Carrizo Creek area; In Koo Pah is east of there; right before you head down the grade.

Untamed1972
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
BLM closed the Carrizo Creek area; In Koo Pah is east of there; right before you head down the grade.

Ahhh......didn't know you could shoot down there.

vile1
02-16-2010, 1:25 PM
Ahhh......didn't know you could shoot down there.

Not for long. When I say "full of trash," I'm really not over-exaggerating.

I give it 5 months and it'll be closed by this summer.

Untamed1972
02-16-2010, 1:44 PM
Not for long. When I say "full of trash," I'm really not over-exaggerating.

I give it 5 months and it'll be closed by this summer.

Then a clean up soon might be called for to make sure that doesn't happen.

zoid52
02-16-2010, 6:54 PM
The problem is IDIOTS who think it is 'cool' to shoot trash and leave it and say 'its not my stuff' Morons like that shouldnt own guns and shouldnt ruin things for responsible people.