PDA

View Full Version : Pistols in san francisco

koo1
06-15-2009, 6:12 PM
Are these illegal now? I don't know where to look. Looked at wikipedia and it says I need to be 21? and have a certificate to buy a firearm.

I am trying to get my first pistol. Is the S&W M&P9C for military and police only?

Sorry I am a newbie.:D What kind of paperwork do I have to fill out? What are the fees, taxes, etc for owning a handgun?

Hopi
06-15-2009, 6:16 PM
Welcome to the community!!

You must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

You also need to receive your Handgun Safety Certificate (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php) by passing the Handgun Safety Written Test (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf). Then pass a 'safe handling demonstration' for each handgun you subsequently purchase.

There aren't any fees other than the standard background check (DROS) fee of $25.

AK4me
06-15-2009, 6:17 PM
You need to be 21 to buy a pistol and you also need a handgun safety certificate, it costs $25.

jrara
06-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Yes you need to be 21 and have a Handgun Safety Certificate.

You will need to take the Handgun Safety test which will cost you $25.

You can get the S&W M&P Compact if you can find one with the 10 round mags.

Vacaville
06-15-2009, 6:20 PM
Pistols are not illegal to own in San Francisco, even though they tried a local ban a few years ago that got overturned. They are not gun friendly though and you may have to go somewhere else in the Bay Area to make your purchase.

You need to take a handgun safety test, which you'll take when at the shop when you buy the pistol. They'll give you a little card that you can keep in your wallet. It's very easy but will cost you an extra $25 bucks or so.

I'm not positive, but I do think you need to be 21 to buy a handgun.

koo1
06-15-2009, 6:29 PM
I thought the 10 rounds limit applies to rifles only.

ZRT650
06-15-2009, 6:31 PM
Check out high bridge arms on mission just south of cesar chavez, there the only gun store actually in s.f. There selection is limited in comparison to other bay area dealers but you can always get a good or a glock or two there. If i was you i would just check out city arms in pacifica, they will also do internet transfers if you find a good deal else where.

Hopi
06-15-2009, 6:32 PM

It applies to 'ammunition feeding devices'...i.e. magazines, links, tubes, etc.

ZRT650
06-15-2009, 6:33 PM

e nah... 10 round mags unless you owned normal capcity mag before the awb . you can always find rebuild kits though.

Hopi
06-15-2009, 6:38 PM
e nah... 10 round mags unless you owned normal capcity mag before the awb . you can always find rebuild kits though.

which, if you're planning on 'rebuilding' mags you'd better have had pre-ban mags to start with.

RolinThundr
06-15-2009, 6:44 PM
Follow the links Hopi provided, make sure to download the Handgun Safety Certificate Study Guide and read it. I don't know if every FFL dealer gives the HSC written test or not, so call first and make sure. You are permitted to buy a handgun the same day you take the test.

As far as dealers, SF has its very own- High Bridge Arms, located in the Mission. There is also City Arms in Pacifica (good bunch of guys) and Tabors in San Bruno.

All S&W M&P models are available to the public, as far as I know. I believe the M&P line name is due to the fact that S&W is specifically targeting Military and Police agencies with that line of firearms. According to the AG's Roster of Handguns Certified for sale (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/), the M&P 9C is safe enough to buy in CA, just make sure it matches the description in the roster: M&P 9C (Mag. Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer, 3.50" barrel, 9mm. Unless a particular color is mentioned for the gun, assume it's black.

Anytime you want to find out if a gun is approved for sale in CA, just use the link above to search for it.

walter
06-15-2009, 7:01 PM
Go to city arms in pacifica. Tell them you want to purchase your first handgun. They will make it real easy for you

koo1
06-15-2009, 7:09 PM
Thanks guys. Maybe I should wait until the awb expires or is that never going to happen with Obama in office?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30389664/

leitung
06-15-2009, 7:12 PM
+1 to the above
Walk into City Arms in Pacifica, tell them you are interested in a Smith & Wesson M&P.. Go from there..

You need to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer, or a private party. Remember, all firearms except 50 year old long guns, need to be transferred through a licenced firearms dealer. Dont buy a gun from some guy without going through a dealer.

When you show up, you will need to choose a handgun, to buy it you will need to do the following:
1) Take a test to get a handgun safety certificate, it's easy, and most dealers sell a study guide if your that nervous about it. That costs $25 usually.
2) Show your ID, the dealer will need a copy.
3) Fill out the ATF from 4473 and answer all questions truthfully.
4) You will also need to show a utility bill or vehicle registration, the dealer will make a copy.
5) They will run a DROS on the firearm you choose, the DROS stands for Dealer Record of Sale. It will record the serial number, make, and model of the handgun, as well as your info, it is sent to the department of justice.
6)Upon completion of this, you will pay for your new firearm, +$25 for the DROS fee.
7) 10 day wait begins. It's 10 24 hour periods, means you can pick it up exactly 10 days to the second the dros was submitted.

Thats it.. It's now all yours!

Welcome to the illness.. Before you know it you will have 5 or 6 handguns.. They breed quickly!

Some other things to know:
Must be transported in a locked container at all times unless you are carrying exposed and unloaded. Must be unloaded in public.
You can carry it open or concealed in your own home loaded at all times if you like.
You can only buy, import, sell, or expose for sale 10 round or less mags.

Fjold
06-15-2009, 7:16 PM
Thanks guys. Maybe I should wait until the awb expires or is that never going to happen with Obama in office?

The Federal AWB has already expired, the CA state "Assault weapons ban" is still in force but is being looked at (wheels have started rolling) but the magazine limit is a seperate law.

leitung
06-15-2009, 7:17 PM

The federal AWB has expired long ago.. in 04 to be exact..

California state has it's own, that is not going to expire, unless we win in the courts to overturn it!

Sam
06-15-2009, 7:59 PM
The federal AWB has expired long ago.. in 04 to be exact..

California state has it's own, that is not going to expire, unless we win in the courts to overturn it!

You mean: "California has its own that will expire when we win the right back in court"

koo1
06-15-2009, 8:27 PM
"...unless you are carrying exposed and unloaded. Must be unloaded in public."

I can imagine how that will end up.

Lady: Omg, he's got a gun!
Crowd: ahhhhhhhhhh!!!
Crowd goes screaming and running.
Police is called.
:D

rivviepop
06-15-2009, 8:34 PM
Be very careful owning one in SF -- your in-the-gun-closet neighbors will see you carrying stuff back and forth to your car and ask you if you can take them shooting. They'll say it all hush-hush like as if they'll lose their liberal card for asking. :)

(yes, it happens to me a lot - they all want to shoot but don't want anyone to know)

KJGIL
06-15-2009, 8:39 PM
4) You will also need to show a utility bill or vehicle registration, the dealer will make a copy.

I believe any government issue document with your address on it works as well, I know I brought my Draft Card, my POST T-score notification, and even my Tax refund check just to be sure. I was still living at home when I bought my first handgun so I didn't have a utility bill handy.

I also recommend Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, they set me up with my PX4 and there was a Wal-Mart down the street where I also picked up ammo for me to feed it after my wait.

City Arms always seems busy in the morning but I may drop by tomorrow to see about ordering an AR chambered for .22lr.

gadjeep
06-15-2009, 9:52 PM
Give Highbridge a shot. Their inventory took a big hit during the Obamania but they had a bunch of Glocks, berettas and SIGS when I went there a few weeks ago. Really good guys and you got to give them props for enduring the anti-gun attitude of SF.

cousinkix1953
06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Pistols are not illegal to own in San Francisco, even though they tried a local ban a few years ago that got overturned. They are not gun friendly though and you may have to go somewhere else in the Bay Area to make your purchase.

You need to take a handgun safety test, which you'll take when at the shop when you buy the pistol. They'll give you a little card that you can keep in your wallet. It's very easy but will cost you an extra $25 bucks or so.

I'm not positive, but I do think you need to be 21 to buy a handgun.
Gavin Newsom ran the gun stores out of his town. You'll have to get your handgun at Jackson Arms or City Arms down on the peninsula...

dfletcher
06-16-2009, 7:49 AM
Gavin Newsom ran the gun stores out of his town. You'll have to get your handgun at Jackson Arms or City Arms down on the peninsula...

Much as I'd like to blame him, I don't think that's accurate. SF Gun Exchange closed before he became Mayor and I think that was the most recent gun store to close in the city. I'm sure he'd like to close gun stores, HighBridge probably stays open because of SFPD.

As an aside, interesting little article from about 10 years ago. I didn't know the good folks in Oakland actually voted to tax gun stores out of business in the theory that would reduce crime: http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/13657/jewish-gunshop-owner-closing-store-cites-unfair-taxes/

To the OP, regarding getting a handgun, after you do the HSC test and 2nd ID bit, run up & down Rte 80 and 101 and you'll find about 20 gun stores. Furthest south I go on 101 is San Jose/Campbell, on the way down from SF you'll hit Tabors, City Arm, Imbert & Smithers and Irvington Arms and Gun Vault, Krausewerk and TargetMasters, Castro Valley Gun Store, the SJ Gun Exchange & Sportsmans.

Going north to Sacramento/Rocklin and you'll hit the Gun Room, Guns, Fishing & Stuff, River City Gun Exchange, Wild Bills, The Gun Room, Just Guns, Badger Johns, Sportsmans Warehouse and if you take 680 back you'll hit Canyon Sports and Contra Costa Collectibles.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few places, thing is - there's alot of stores to check out, you'll be able to find what you need.

Sam
06-16-2009, 8:03 AM
Going north to Sacramento/Rocklin and you'll hit the Gun Room, Guns, Fishing & Stuff, River City Gun Exchange, Wild Bills, The Gun Room, Just Guns, Badger Johns, Sportsmans Warehouse and if you take 680 back you'll hit Canyon Sports and Contra Costa Collectibles.

If this is your first, make sure to find a place that will gladly hold your hand and walk you through everything. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Saying that, you may or may not get that at Guns, Fishing & Stuff and you will get that at River City Gun Exchange. Badger John's is mostly hunting stuff and it seemed to me that every time I was there they only sold consignments they had little working knowledge about. I've had good experiences with The Gun Room but dislike their range policy of not allowing any "evil" firearm to be shot their. I took a Tommy 10/22 and they would not let me shoot it.

SigLion
06-16-2009, 1:13 PM
If you don't mind driving north of the city about 15 minutes, Bullesye in San rafael has a huge selection as well as a range with loads of rental guns. You can try a .40 M&P. I don't think they have the 9mm version for rental but they do sell them. I have had really good luck with customer service and enjoy their range frequently. Good luck!!

Miltiades
06-16-2009, 5:22 PM
http://www.desertdispatch.com/pictures/1203043415-duracoatpinkglock111107.jpg

cdtx2001
06-16-2009, 5:32 PM
Try Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito. Bob is a good guy and his prices are reasonable.

Here's something to consider when buying your first gun.. Check out the used section in whatever gun store you end up in. I know there's nothing like getting a new gun out of the box, but there are some GREAT bargains to be had in the used section. I saw a Springfield XD9 Tactical (5" Barrel) in the gun store in Vacaville the other day for $500 used, it was in good shape and they are open to reasonable offers.

LesGrossman41510
06-16-2009, 5:58 PM
handgun safety test is super easy 30/30

it was a pain to pass all the DOJ, i had to scrounge up 3 bills and a residence lease form to prove where i lived, it took like 2 different times before all my paperwork finally went through. ended up paying like an extra 50 in fees because of all the BS. finally got my glock though.

LesGrossman41510
06-16-2009, 5:59 PM
If you don't mind driving north of the city about 15 minutes, Bullesye in San rafael has a huge selection as well as a range with loads of rental guns. You can try a .40 M&P. I don't think they have the 9mm version for rental but they do sell them. I have had really good luck with customer service and enjoy their range frequently. Good luck!!

co signed, definately hit up bullseye and try a few different pistols out. its kinda like test driving before you buy. plus they are super cool and alot more laid back than jackson arms.

dfletcher
06-16-2009, 7:53 PM
Try Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito. Bob is a good guy and his prices are reasonable.

Here's something to consider when buying your first gun.. Check out the used section in whatever gun store you end up in. I know there's nothing like getting a new gun out of the box, but there are some GREAT bargains to be had in the used section. I saw a Springfield XD9 Tactical (5" Barrel) in the gun store in Vacaville the other day for $500 used, it was in good shape and they are open to reasonable offers.

Agree - I always check out the used gun section. In general I prefer buying used, not just for the price but of course that's where the "can't be sold new in CA guns" are also.

cousinkix1953
06-16-2009, 8:51 PM
Much as I'd like to blame him, I don't think that's accurate. SF Gun Exchange closed before he became Mayor and I think that was the most recent gun store to close in the city. I'm sure he'd like to close gun stores, HighBridge probably stays open because of SFPD.
Butterfield's auction house used to deal in pre-64 Winchesters, Colt SAA revolvers and German Luger pistols. The antis pulled the plug on their antiques and C&R sales.

I heard that Jackson Arms is owned by a SFPD officer. I'm not sure if he's active duty or retired these days. It's a similiar situation with Markley's Indoor Range outside of Watsonville, which is owned by LEOs too...

RolinThundr
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Be very careful owning one in SF -- your in-the-gun-closet neighbors will see you carrying stuff back and forth to your car and ask you if you can take them shooting. They'll say it all hush-hush like as if they'll lose their liberal card for asking. :)

(yes, it happens to me a lot - they all want to shoot but don't want anyone to know)

I consider myself one of the few remaining conservatives in SF...I do keep the gun thing fairly hush-hush, but that's because I don't want the liberals to wet themselves or to have my home targeted by thugs.

Which reminds me, Kool1, time to start looking into range bags (keep you from standing out so much) and equipment. Make sure to get a good cleaning kit, and I have found that Plano tackle trays are great for storing your cleaning supplies (rods, patches, oil, solvent, q-tips, bore snakes, tools that come with your gun). The Prolatch 3700:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314VTH6REAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
is a good one and can be found at Sports Authority in Daly City (Gellert Drive).
co signed, definately hit up bullseye and try a few different pistols out. its kinda like test driving before you buy. plus they are super cool and alot more laid back than jackson arms.

But Jackson Arms is one of the few places that allows double-taps!

rivviepop
06-17-2009, 9:15 AM
I consider myself one of the few remaining conservatives in SF...I do keep the gun thing fairly hush-hush, but that's because I don't want the liberals to wet themselves or to have my home targeted by thugs.

Same here, it's hush-hush but there's no mistaking a guy carrying a range bag, ammo can and CR speedbelt with holster/mag carriers up from the shared underground garage. A full competitive revolver rig is pretty strange looking to most folks, it's usually what initiates the conversation...

Mr. Herbergerber
06-17-2009, 3:36 PM
+1 for Bullseye. They are a good bunch of guys and the range has a good selection of rental guns. Go with a friend and share a lane to get the most out of your first trip. Let them know this is your first gun and they will go out of their way to be helpful. Try a few before you buy, you may be surprised which guns fit you best 9it may not the be the one you came in to see).

dfletcher
06-17-2009, 4:24 PM
I like going to all the shops mentioned, each is a little different in inventory and environment. I'm kind of liking Krausewerk quite a bit, low key crew and lots of older guns, many of them unusual and there are quite a few "newly used" guns also.

RolinThundr
06-17-2009, 8:01 PM
I think so far the largest selection of rental handguns I've come across is at Target Masters West in Milpitas. Yeah, it's a bit of a drive, but the range is open til Midnight Mon-Sat. Not sure about range fees and all. No head-shots or double taps permitted. They even have a few H&Ks for rent, which is rare to find.

RolinThundr
06-17-2009, 8:04 PM
Same here, it's hush-hush but there's no mistaking a guy carrying a range bag, ammo can and CR speedbelt with holster/mag carriers up from the shared underground garage. A full competitive revolver rig is pretty strange looking to most folks, it's usually what initiates the conversation...

Well, keeping things hush-hush is not a prefect science, but at least we're trying not to draw any unwanted attention. That's all we can do.

Sarkoon
06-18-2009, 9:46 AM
Give Highbridge a shot. Their inventory took a big hit during the Obamania but they had a bunch of Glocks, berettas and SIGS when I went there a few weeks ago. Really good guys and you got to give them props for enduring the anti-gun attitude of SF.

I have to disagree with you about Highbridge. The last time I was there (2007) they were spouting mis-information and claiming the semi-automatic shotgun I was selling was illegal because it held more than 5 rounds. WTF? That restriction expired along with the federal ban in 2004.

I've heard nothing good about them since, and have found no reason to go back since there are a bunch of better stores in the bay area to choose from. City Arms, Jackson Arms, Bullseye, Reeds...

b.faust
06-18-2009, 9:53 AM

+100 on that.
To make matters worse, you'll end up taking them, they'll shoot up all your ammo (and you let them because you're trying to educate them and make them 2a friendly) and constantly ask "When are we going out again?"
;)

B.

(Edit to add: Bullseye is a great shop to buy at, and the range is great. I like it so much I'm a member up there.)