PDA

View Full Version : Falling Asleep on Duty

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Be honest...

I fell asleep during a graveyard shift and ran a red light at a photo enforced intersection. The camera's never went off, and luckily no one else was near the intersection.

One of my coworkers fell asleep during his C-7. The sarge walked in, saw him laid out on the couch in the break room, and didn't say anything till a couple days later.

He almost lost his job.

nick
06-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I feel safer already :p

Not a LEO, but I fell asleep in the server room at the datacenter used by the company I worked for. With about 4000 servers running :)

what2be
06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
It happens, but good lucking getting anybody to admit it, especially on here where LEO bashing is common.

A few weeks back I was partying with a friend at the lake who works for the S.O. and we were drinking till 2am, it was a 3hour drive for him to get to work, his shift that next afteroon. Im sure he was hurting when he got to work.

Saigon1965
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Last I'd checked - We're all humans - We make mistakes - Hopefully learn from it -

More coffee for everyone -

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
It happens, but good lucking getting anybody to admit it, especially on here where LEO bashing is common.

A few weeks back I was partying with a friend at the lake who works for the S.O. and we were drinking till 2am, it was a 3hour drive for him to get to work, his shift that next afteroon. Im sure he was hurting when he got to work.

HAHA!

It happens alright!

I remember guys I worked with coming in at 0600 to relieve me looking like crap because they had partied all night. Other guys had two jobs, so they would only get 3 hours of sleep a day. The guys who went to school were also tired all the time. I was an hour-wh*re, so I was tired because I liked to work!

The worst shifts for me were mornings. I hated mornings. With a passion. I would work graveyards for the rest of my life if I was guaranteed no morning shifts.

The hardest thing to do was staying awake at court.

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Last I'd checked - We're all humans - We make mistakes - Hopefully learn from it -

More coffee for everyone -

Thats where I became addicted to coffee, energy drinks, and meth (I kid, I kid).

CSDGuy
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Not a LEO either... I'm a Paramedic. I readily admit that I've fallen asleep on duty. On the bench seat in the back of my ambulance. And at quarters. Never got any good sleep though. Name, unit call sign, or station tones would wake me up instantly. Many times, it would have been just as good to be awake all night...

I've never fallen asleep while working shifts that were less than 16 hours...

I have, however, heard of and seen the very occasional LEO conducting a headliner check...

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Not a LEO either... I'm a Paramedic. I readily admit that I've fallen asleep on duty. On the bench seat in the back of my ambulance. And at quarters. Never got any good sleep though. Name, unit call sign, or station tones would wake me up instantly. Many times, it would have been just as good to be awake all night...

I've never fallen asleep while working shifts that were less than 16 hours...

I have, however, heard of and seen the very occasional LEO conducting a headliner check...

I noticed that I never had a hard time staying awake for the 12+ hour shifts...

It was always the regular 8 hour shifts while I was sick, or some other unknown cause...or court...court gave me the sleeps...

And the radio would always wake me up.

I had figured out a system when I just couldn't stay awake.

"TURBO NAPS"

I would find a straight strip of road with speed bumps about 10 seconds apart...I would let the unit creep...and the speed bumps would wake me up every 10-15 seconds to make sure I was still going straight, etc...

ryang
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
One of my coworkers fell asleep during his C-7.
The guy got yelled at for sleeping during his lunch?

Blue
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Might be hard for the SJ cops to fall asleep since they're always at Starbucks.

ilbob
06-15-2009, 1:58 PM
I worked many 3rd shifts while in school. That hour or so just before dawn was a tough time to stay awake. I would not blame anyone for nodding off, cop, paramedic, whatever. It is just a tough time to stay awake.

Saigon1965
06-15-2009, 2:24 PM
Now this may be construed as bashing - But it's true -

We all get to take breaks -

Ron-Solo
06-15-2009, 2:45 PM
There is a big difference between someone who nods off while working an extended shift and someone working graveyard who goes and finds a 'Bat Cave" every night. I've worked with a few of those and when we found them, we handled the problem.

As a supervisor I had a guy once who was working his graveyard shift and spending every day in court all day. He spent 5 straight days in court, all day long on a really big murder case. The fatigue factor became so great we sent him to the bunk room one night for about two hours as a safety issue. We knew where he was if we needed him, and he wasn't endangering anyone on the road.

Glock Fan
06-15-2009, 2:57 PM
haha this is a great thread! I love hearing the stories! I have heard a few good ones myself. I dont blame any of them for a little power nap.

tazmanian devil dog
06-15-2009, 3:08 PM
Not a LEO but work as an FAA armed guard at the airport tower at SFO. I can't tell you how much coffee I have to drink to keep from nodding off!!!! I own stock in Petes, Starbucks and Redbull!!!!!!!

Side note: If the FAA catches us even nodding off, we are terminated. Sucks huh?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-15-2009, 3:17 PM
I've managed to avoid it, but way back when I was first starting in the jail, our shift sergeant took a little nap in an out of the way corner. Somehow, a frozen hot dog found its way into his mouth as he snored away. Photographic evidence was secured.

The photo is out there, somewhere...

TRICKSTER
06-15-2009, 3:21 PM
When I was in college, I worked as a student aid for the campus police. One graveyard shift during finals week, I was tired and went back to the office to sit down and have a cup of coffee. Next thing I knew, it was 30 minutes later and there was a cold cup of coffee sitting on the desk in front of me. Lack of sleep will catch up to you.

socalsheepdog
06-15-2009, 3:51 PM
Lt.Col. Dave Grossman has a lot to say about the importance of sleep for today's warrior. Good read if you haven't picked it up yet. It will really open your eyes to a lot of stuff, no pun intended.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/672/209929672.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/on-combat-the-psychology-and-physiology-of-deadly-conflict-in-war-and/q/loc/106/209929672.html

bshnt2015
06-15-2009, 3:59 PM
It happens considering LEO will put in a 10-14 hr day with the communte, pre-shift office time, after shift office time and for those who do not have police parking-like I do, a good 7-10 minute walk to your POV. I am 4/10 and my fellow LEO in the next city over work 3/12-ouch. Yeah it happens and I am grateful I didn't make the mistake as the Santa Clara Deputy.

creampuff
06-15-2009, 4:16 PM
I am not in LEO, but in the health care industry. My 10 hours don't have a lot of downtime, and we have waived our breaks and lunches, so it can be 10 hours straight work. I have on occassion "blinked" for 10 minutes. Despite will power and mind over matter stuff, sometimes the body says it is time to shut down.

I told myself if I ever got caught napping, I would just say "AMEN" real loud, when the person walks in.

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 5:17 PM
The guy got yelled at for sleeping during his lunch?

He got more than yelled at. He almost lost his job.

If someone is getting their *** kicked and he doesn't hear the assistance call because he is sleeping...

That city only had 5 areas (beats). One officer per beat during grave (+supervisors). The two non-sworns working that beat had to depend on each other and that one officer patrolling that beat. If that officer was busy on a call on the other side of town...then all you had was your partner for the night...sleeping...with no gun (non-sworns are not armed)...so while you were getting your *** kicked, you'd have to wait for units to clear from the other side of town to come and assist...that would take MINUTES...

He is lucky he didn't lose his job. His partner that night was pissed...

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 5:19 PM
When I was in college, I worked as a student aid for the campus police. One graveyard shift during finals week, I was tired and went back to the office to sit down and have a cup of coffee. Next thing I knew, it was 30 minutes later and there was a cold cup of coffee sitting on the desk in front of me. Lack of sleep will catch up to you.

This is scary.

There were 1 or 2 occasions where I nodded off. When I woke up, I would freak out.

How long was I asleep?

Were they calling me?

So I would call someone and ask if they were calling me. Nope. More coffee.

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 5:24 PM

And THIS is why I hated going into food establishments...of ANY kind...

The only time I walked into a donut shop while on duty was at 3 in the morning to get coffee and some cigarettes...and even then I would stake the place out to make sure no one was around.

Whenever I was picking up food, I would look at people and know EXACTLY what they were thinking...

And I will admit...I ate a donut once while on duty...but I made sure I was in the station where no one could see me :p

DRM6000
06-15-2009, 5:31 PM
The mental image of that makes me chuckle :D

"TURBO NAPS"

I would find a straight strip of road with speed bumps about 10 seconds apart...I would let the unit creep...and the speed bumps would wake me up every 10-15 seconds to make sure I was still going straight, etc...

Blue
06-15-2009, 5:40 PM

The only time I walked into a donut shop while on duty was at 3 in the morning to get coffee and some cigarettes...and even then I would stake the place out to make sure no one was around.

Whenever I was picking up food, I would look at people and know EXACTLY what they were thinking...

And I will admit...I ate a donut once while on duty...but I made sure I was in the station where no one could see me :p

I've got no problem with cops taking their lunch break. It just bugs me when there's 14 police cars in the parking lot and everyone is hanging out for 2+ hours.

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 5:48 PM
I've got no problem with cops taking their lunch break. It just bugs me when there's 14 police cars in the parking lot and everyone is hanging out for 2+ hours.

I understand what you mean.

Whoever this was...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...I KNOW WHO YOU ARE...YOU WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO DOING IT...WE HAD A GOOD LAUGH...

Probably 8 LA Sheriffs...I think there were 2 Sarge Cars as well...

It happened at night about a year ago. All of you guys were at a Denny's. I won't say in which city...but you were all either Century, Lakewood, Norwalk, or surrounding area.

Your LT was tipped off...he drove by...and you guys all ran to your units and drove off most ricky tick...

We have copies on DVD for sale :D

MILLITIAof1
06-15-2009, 6:36 PM
I work for the studios, so I usually work 18 hour days but sleep for 10 of em:D

rulas41
06-15-2009, 7:40 PM
I understand what you mean.

Whoever this was...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...I KNOW WHO YOU ARE...YOU WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO DOING IT...WE HAD A GOOD LAUGH...

Probably 8 LA Sheriffs...I think there were 2 Sarge Cars as well...

It happened at night about a year ago. All of you guys were at a Denny's. I won't say in which city...but you were all either Century, Lakewood, Norwalk, or surrounding area.

Your LT was tipped off...he drove by...and you guys all ran to your units and drove off most ricky tick...

We have copies on DVD for sale :D
ill take one

haodoken
06-15-2009, 7:49 PM
While on graveyard patrol, I like to drive in the the middle lane of the main throughfare (3 lanes wide) in our city. Thank god for the "bott dots" they will take care of you. Drive by braille if you know what I mean. :D Also the scanner and radio on loud keeps you on your toes!

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 7:52 PM
While on graveyard patrol, I like to drive in the the middle lane of the main throughfare (3 lanes wide) in our city. Thank god for the "bott dots" they will take care of you. Drive by braille if you know what I mean. :D Also the scanner and radio on loud keeps you on your toes!

The city of Paramount has these big ole dots on some of their streets...probably the size of half a soccer...they're pretty wicked lookin...I always get the temptation to drive my honda over them...it would fall apart...

Digital_Boy
06-15-2009, 8:46 PM
Not a LEO but work as an FAA armed guard at the airport tower at SFO. I can't tell you how much coffee I have to drink to keep from nodding off!!!! I own stock in Petes, Starbucks and Redbull!!!!!!!

Side note: If the FAA catches us even nodding off, we are terminated. Sucks huh?

huh. SFO ATCT has armed security? That's a first. I regularly visit Lindbergh, John Wayne and LAX, and other than DHS and TSA presence no armed security at the tower.

I work out of the TRACON in San Diego on the FTI project, so I get to tour all the sites in and around SD and OC, with the occasional trip to LA and Imperial/Riverside.

retired
06-15-2009, 9:25 PM
The city of Paramount has these big ole dots on some of their streets...probably the size of half a soccer...they're pretty wicked lookin...I always get the temptation to drive my honda over them...it would fall apart...

That is my old stomping grounds. After training in HG on pms, I was put in Paramount on ems for awhile. From 2am until end of shift during the week it was absolutely quiet out there (well except for the burglars and car thiefs:D). There was no substation then.

My falling asleep story was after leaving work and on my motorcycle (personal). Two nights a week I worked pms and on the 2nd night, worked straight thru on earlies and did the next 3 on ems also (good ol' Sgt. Preston:rolleyes:).

Well, one day I forgot my schedule and took my motorcycle to work and realized when I got to the station (Lkd.) that I was working that double.

I lived in Chino Hills at the time and drove on Carbon Canyon Rd., which is a winding single lane road. I hit a small pothole and woke up going home.:eek: I had no idea how long I'd been asleep, but I surmise not long as I would have crashed. I sang all of the songs I knew the last 4-5 miles home, but I really didn't need to since the adrenalin never stopped flowing.:D

bubbagump
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
That is my old stomping grounds. After training in HG on pms, I was put in Paramount on ems for awhile. From 2am until end of shift during the week it was absolutely quiet out there (well except for the burglars and car thiefs:D). There was no substation then.

My falling asleep story was after leaving work and on my motorcycle (personal). Two nights a week I worked pms and on the 2nd night, worked straight thru on earlies and did the next 3 on ems also (good ol' Sgt. Preston:rolleyes:).

Well, one day I forgot my schedule and took my motorcycle to work and realized when I got to the station (Lkd.) that I was working that double.

I lived in Chino Hills at the time and drove on Carbon Canyon Rd., which is a winding single lane road. I hit a small pothole and woke up going home.:eek: I had no idea how long I'd been asleep, but I surmise not long as I would have crashed. I sang all of the songs I knew the last 4-5 miles home, but I really didn't need to since the adrenalin never stopped flowing.:D

Sweet! I used to mess around in Paramount sometimes...

Met some of the guys from DXP & NSP (I'm sure DXP was around during your time...maybe not NSP).

Recovered some cars on Somerset Ranch Rd.

I'd drive by All-American to ****block.

Had me some fun in Paramount...even though I wasn't supposed to be there :p

bluestaterebel
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM

Sounds like the Fire Department.

ilbob
06-16-2009, 6:12 AM
Not sure why but there are no donut shops in the area where I live now. The cops used to congregate at the Dunkin Donut that closed about 10 years ago. I have seen 4 different departments there early in the morning, and once saw 5 squads there at the same time from 3 different departments. I think it was the only thing open at that time of night in the area.

Now they hang out at a gas station that sells Crispy Creme, although I can't say as I have ever seen more than two squads there though. But I am almost never out and about early in the morning these days.

I did see a sheriff's unit pull out one evening from the gas station without putting the gas hose back in the pump. He drove down the street with the hose hanging out the gas tank fill nozzle. I was tempted to try and pull up next to him and alert him but he was moving along at a pretty good clip. Wish I could have videoed it. I could probably have gotten a few bucks for it from a TV show.

Triad
06-16-2009, 8:40 AM
I haven't, but while I was on FTO, my training officer would always nap while I did paper or studied policy in parking lots. Was pretty funny.

SVT-40
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I had a trainee one time who would habitually fall asleep on graveyard shift. I cured him of this habit by parking our unit beside the railroad tracks one night while I caught him again "on the nod".

There was one spot where I could drive the unit up beside a building with the passenger side door up against the building so the trainee could not get out. There was just enough room for me to exit the unit to avoid getting hit by the train.

So with a snoozing trainee I parked and waited for the train to arrive. Just as the train with engine roaring and horn blaring neared us I slapped him awake and yelled for him to jump as the unit was stuck on the tracks. I then bailed out the drivers side to "safety".

The look of utter fright on his face was priceless as he tried in vain to open his door and jump to safety. The trains light was squarely on him as it roared past. He was so frightened he actually pissed his pants.

Needless to say he NEVER fell asleep again.

fullrearview
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know about on the streets, but some do in the jails...they take turns on night shift. I can't do it if I tried. I have to be doing something.

veeklog
06-16-2009, 4:07 PM
between the hours of 4am anf 5am there is no radio traffic on the mids.

fullrearview
06-16-2009, 4:12 PM
Lt.Col. Dave Grossman has a lot to say about the importance of sleep for today's warrior. Good read if you haven't picked it up yet. It will really open your eyes to a lot of stuff, no pun intended.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/672/209929672.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/on-combat-the-psychology-and-physiology-of-deadly-conflict-in-war-and/q/loc/106/209929672.html

I was in the process of reading this but put it down for a bit.....I will get to it again...soon

Jonathan Doe
06-16-2009, 4:32 PM
When I worked on EM shift (2200-0600) on boat patrol, my LT used to tell us to rest for a while when we get pretty tired. They didn't want us drive a $200,000 patrol boat + equipments and crash and sink.:43:

gunrun45
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I still remember my first FTO...

That guy had sleeping on duty down to an artform. The guy would drive his unit behind the local high school to the grand stands for the foot ball field. THe grand stands were backed up by a huge dirt mound and the anouncer's booth was on top of the mound.

He would park his car on the slope of the mound so that he was in a reclined, almost laying down, possition. He would crank up the volume of his cell phone and turn down the radio... He figured that dispatch had his cell number and would call him if he didn't answer the radio.

He said he started doing it after he drifted off to sleep while driving on the highway on duty. He rolled a unit a totalled it. Frankly, I was amazed the guy still had a job.

Needless to say, I was not impressed. Even back then this wasn't acceptable.

BigDogatPlay
06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Working graveyard and going to court is always the hardest. One time I had three days straight of court after work. I'd go home in the afternoon and try to sleep totally jazzed on coffee from trying not to sleep in court. By the fourth night I was practically a zombie. Thought about calling off sick, but couldn't make myself do it. Gotta be tough.

About 3:30 AM I fuel the unit and am driving around aimlessly looking for something to engage. I could feel myself on the nod, and then I thought I saw a deer in the road. Darned near put the unit sideways into a pole... the deer was solely my imagination. Drove straight to the station, told the sarge what was going on, locked up my weapons and took an approved snooze on the couch in the sergeant's office.

On a side note, if you are tired all the time or find yourself nodding when you really shouldn't, get yourself checked for sleep apnea. If you're like me with a big old neck and shoulders, and maybe packing a little too much weight as well, it's a potential problem.

eltee
06-18-2009, 9:46 AM
Back in the day when I was a cop pup working midnights in the quietest neighborhood in the universe we had a practice called "cooping." There were areas where we could park the unit that provided natural camouflage (the coop) and would take turns napping / listening to the radio. This was WAYYYY before the days of GPS or radio tranmitted location detection.

The motorcycle cops had it even easier. They often had beat wives so they would park their bikes inside a garage for a little "nap" in the middle of a shift.

A couple of times if I was getting over a cold and had that cold induced fatigue I would let my partner drive and I would fight the nods...sometimes failing. We used to joke about seeing the "Plymouth" imprinted in reverse on someone's cheek (like "pillowface") from snoozing on the inside of the car door.

One time on a team robbery stakeout after a long night, I was on the inner perimeter in an unmarked truck with an assault rifle across my lap. I knew the outer perim guys would radio us if the target showed up. I was in the passenger seat. I had sunglasses on :cool2: and propped myself up but was asleep at some point because the sergeant walked up and threw something through the window across my face. Being asleep, I didn't react. He started laughing his *** off because I looked so convincingly awake.

Hey...think of it as power napping to enable me to be fully rested and at maximum output when I need to act. Right ;)

All of the above, if actual stories, occurred back in the day and certainly long enough ago to have exceeded the statutes of limitations relating to disciplinary action.

tazmanian devil dog
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
huh. SFO ATCT has armed security? That's a first. I regularly visit Lindbergh, John Wayne and LAX, and other than DHS and TSA presence no armed security at the tower.

I work out of the TRACON in San Diego on the FTI project, so I get to tour all the sites in and around SD and OC, with the occasional trip to LA and Imperial/Riverside.

Very cool!! Yep. We have armed guards at SFO. You don't see us much unless we go into the terminal to get a bite to eat. Other than that they pretty much keep us under lock and key!!! If you get a chance come on up to SFO and maybe I can get the AT Manager to authorize a tour.

Turbinator
06-25-2009, 5:09 PM
The look of utter fright on his face was priceless as he tried in vain to open his door and jump to safety. The trains light was squarely on him as it roared past. He was so frightened he actually pissed his pants.

Needless to say he NEVER fell asleep again.

No one commented on this. This story is just awesome! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Turby

emilio
06-25-2009, 5:39 PM

that's at least 3 kinds of awesome! very clever, dude.

i'm not a LEO, but i did hear a funny urban legend about SJPD: there was a shady spot that was just a dirt lot under a freeway or train overpass. cops would park there to fill out paperwork, eat, BS, or take naps (on duty or on break) because no one ever was in the area but bums. some troublemaker, anarcho-skater or something, literally spiked the area so that the next time the posse rolled down for the sewing bee they had to call motor pool because several cars' tires magically went flat... if it's true, i wonder how they explained being there in the first place!

- emilio

Fire in the Hole
06-25-2009, 6:02 PM

They're all worn out from popping hoods, writing tinted windows citations, and setting up speed traps to generate revenue.

retired
06-25-2009, 6:18 PM
Back in the day when I was a cop pup working midnights in the quietest neighborhood in the universe we had a practice called "cooping." There were areas where we could park the unit that provided natural camouflage (the coop) and would take turns napping / listening to the radio. This was WAYYYY before the days of GPS or radio tranmitted location detection.

I've heard tell of a similar practice, but it was called "caving." Now, of course, these were just rumors and I don't anything about it other than those rumors.;)

Gosh, I really, really, really hated EMs. Did I mention that I really hated EMs.

Suvorov
06-25-2009, 6:24 PM
Ahh, the stories I could tell about falling asleep on duty.....

Of course I'm not a cop but lets just say my occupation is RIPE with sleep deprivation issues.

Back in the days, I flew part 135 cargo operations (mostly bank work), days were long and the nights were longer. When you are up there by yourself with nothing but the soothing drone of your Pratt and Whitney turboprops to keep you company, it is awful hard to stay awake no matter how much coffee you have coursing through your veins. Luckily for me, I only nodded off a time or two and came too quickly afterwards (generally the adrenaline dump that occurred when I realized I almost killed myself was enough to keep me awake the rest of the flight), others weren't so lucky. Back in '04, one of our pilots fell asleep and flew his plane right into the side of a mountain in the Owens Valley on a perfectly clear and calm morning killing the pilot (who had just returned from leave to witness the birth of his son). Things are better in the airline world, but it still happens to crews. At least now, I got someone else with me to keep me company or at the very least, wake me up if I drift off (that is, if they don't fall asleep as well). Now that the cockpits are secure, our flight attendant can't come in and wake us up anymore if she can't get hold of us on the interphone. Mesa Airlines had a crew fall asleep on the way into Honolulu a year or so ago and just flew out to sea. Luckily ATC (or the Interceptor that was sent to check on them - can't recall for sure) was able to wake them up and they had enough fuel to get back to land. Of course Mesa is a crap operation that treats its pilots like dog crap, but they are cheep and as long as the cheapest fair is the driving force in the industry, management will continue to think that 4-5 hours of sleep is more than enough after a 16 hour duty day and put all you gentle passengers at risk - but what the hell, you got your SFO-LAX ticket for only $25, what a bargain! :thumbsup:

retired
06-25-2009, 8:54 PM
Thanks Suvorov, remind me never to fly again, especially on the cheap airlines.:eek:

SkyStorm82
06-25-2009, 9:29 PM
Ahh, the stories I could tell about falling asleep on duty.....

Of course I'm not a cop but lets just say my occupation is RIPE with sleep deprivation issues.

Back in the days, I flew part 135 cargo operations (mostly bank work), days were long and the nights were longer. When you are up there by yourself with nothing but the soothing drone of your Pratt and Whitney turboprops to keep you company, it is awful hard to stay awake no matter how much coffee you have coursing through your veins. Luckily for me, I only nodded off a time or two and came too quickly afterwards (generally the adrenaline dump that occurred when I realized I almost killed myself was enough to keep me awake the rest of the flight), others weren't so lucky. Back in '04, one of our pilots fell asleep and flew his plane right into the side of a mountain in the Owens Valley on a perfectly clear and calm morning killing the pilot (who had just returned from leave to witness the birth of his son). Things are better in the airline world, but it still happens to crews. At least now, I got someone else with me to keep me company or at the very least, wake me up if I drift off (that is, if they don't fall asleep as well). Now that the cockpits are secure, our flight attendant can't come in and wake us up anymore if she can't get hold of us on the interphone. Mesa Airlines had a crew fall asleep on the way into Honolulu a year or so ago and just flew out to sea. Luckily ATC (or the Interceptor that was sent to check on them - can't recall for sure) was able to wake them up and they had enough fuel to get back to land. Of course Mesa is a crap operation that treats its pilots like dog crap, but they are cheep and as long as the cheapest fair is the driving force in the industry, management will continue to think that 4-5 hours of sleep is more than enough after a 16 hour duty day and put all you gentle passengers at risk - but what the hell, you got your SFO-LAX ticket for only $25, what a bargain! :thumbsup:

I'm never flying again....

anthonyca
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Non LEO here.

I am friends with a retired cop and he told me some good stories. One was about two officers who found a good place to nap in a area or yard where trucks used to pick up and drop off trailers. They parked between two 53 foot trailers that were backed up to a wall. Their car was backed in by the wheels of the truck so it was hard to see. Some trucker thought it would be funny to park a trailer across the only opening and take off. (or most likely watch from a distance) After waking up they finally realized that they had to call in and report why they could not respond.:kest:

Another story was about an officer who would go into the office of someone very important. I can not remember who's office it was though but it was someone important enough it really made the story. He used to work OT all the time and my friend used to think man, how can this guy work so much OT? Well he awoke one night while putting on his belt to the cleaning people opening the door.:kest:

I used to fall asleep sometimes in the Army on graveyard so I can see how it can happen. These stories are not the same as you other guys just konking out on accident.

jafount
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM

14 cars? Somehow I doubt this.

Before I went to the Bay Area, I worked for a rinky dink nor-cal city. I was the only one on for graveyard some nights and worked 12 hour shifts.

I was on the last night of my four day (three on four off four on three off) and was lucky enough to have traffic court earlier that day. After going OD at 0700, getting home and asleep by 0800, back up at 1000 for an 1100 court time which ended up not happening until after the lunch break at 1330 I was running on fumes.

Anyhow, I'm back 10-8 at 1900. It was a busy night early on for the middle of the week. By 0430 or so, I was sitting in a new cul de sac for a new golf course community that was under construction and caught up on all my paper. It was freezing cold outside. The heater was going and I was dog tired. Out of habit, when I parked to cut paper, I would routinely crank the radio so, in the event of a call, I was sure to be startled by it. Anyway, last think I remember was it being 0430.

Dispatch welfare checked me and my eyes snapped open and it was sunny out. Car was still idling. It was toasty warm inside. I grabbed the mic and said "code four ten eight". I gathered myself for a moment threw the car in drive and just as I crested this little hill right in front of me, here comes a citizen out for his morning walk. Man...if dispatch hadn't welfare checked me, I'd have been pinched. Of course, I've always wondered if maybe another citizen had already pinched me and called, resulting in the welfare check! I figured heck with it....don't ask don't tell!

Keith92555
06-28-2009, 12:57 AM

:rofl2::rofl2:

frigginchi
06-28-2009, 8:12 AM
It's all fun and games till...

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_12524065

Sleep safely...

TRICKSTER
06-28-2009, 6:40 PM
14 cars? Somehow I doubt this.

Been there, seen that. Back in the 80's there was a 24 hour restaurant at the Travel Lodge Hotel near the Oakland Airport. Pull in about 0300 and between OPD, Housing Authority PD, CHP, State PD, EBRPPD, ACSO, and BARTPD there would easily be 14 cars.

jafount
06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
ok but thats seven agencies or two guys per agency at 0300. Not an issue. The San Jose thing doesn't indicate graves.

Besides, you're either patrolling or sitting somewhere. Why does it matter if you're sitting somewhere where there is life happening? It's all the same.