View Full Version : HELP with Gun Register laws

06-15-2009, 9:54 AM
I'm new to CA and would like to sell a few handguns I own but have yet to register them.

Here's the law for registration.

Firearms Information for New California Residents


Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Complete and submit a /NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT/ form along with *$19.00* to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. /NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT /forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page <forms/> at this site.

Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.


Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transportingthe handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.
================================================== =================
Look at the 2nd bullet point (highlighted in RED) and it says that I can do ONE of the following 3 choices within 60 days:
1) Register the gun, keep it and pay $19.
2) Sell it to a dealer *or *_individual_ through a legal dealer.
3) Sell/Transfer to the Police Dept.

I'm confused. do I have to register it first before I sell it or can I just sell it to to an individual thru an Authorized Gun Dealer within 60 days?

Any help would be very appreciated.

06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Correct, the PC says "ONE of the following", so you can PPT it to another person instead of doing the "new resident handgun ownership report".

06-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi OP, welcome to CA. I know the gun laws sucks here but give some time and you should notice this is a beautiful state. :patriot:

06-15-2009, 2:06 PM
Correct, the PC says "ONE of the following", so you can PPT it to another person instead of doing the "new resident handgun ownership report".

So, the two guns I want to sell I don't register...just do a PPT thru a FFL within 60 days....right?

And the one gun I want to keep, I need to send in the $19 and the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report and all will be good...right?

Thanks, ke6guj/Jack!

06-15-2009, 4:41 PM
Yes only register the gun you intend to keep, do not register the gun you want to sell. As the law stated you have to do "one of the following". Meaning only one applicable action is required per each gun. I hope that clears it up a little more. Welcome to Cali! The gun laws are horrible but we are actively working to fix that. Support Calguns to make a difference.:mnl: