PDA

View Full Version : Rookie needs info on Glocks

mchavez050582
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Hello every one, I am not exactly a rookie on here but I have never posted on here and I have never owned a hand gun. I am thinking about buying a gun before the year ends and I am currently thinking about purchasing a Glock. The only problem is deciding what glock to buy!

I want a reliable gun that will fire when I need it too and also a fun gun to shoot when I go to the shooting range. I want a gun with the best stoping power, accuracy, and range.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

HondaMasterTech
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I like the way the glock30 shoots. Comfortable recoil. 45 acp. Small-er. 10 round mags. Matches or beats other 45's in california. VERY accurate.

626Tony
06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Glock 30 with some Fiber Optic Novak night sights and a clipdraw! take a look at the Springfield Armory XD 4" a little bigger but fun to shoot. Your local gun range should have some to rent. All in all I agree with HONDAMASTERTECH with the Glock 30.

HCz
06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd suggest Glock 17 or 19, but at the same time do not limit your search to Glocks. Try different guns before you buy them.

Rule .308
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
You need to go to the local range and rent a few different Glocks and see what suits you the best. They are all reliable, as far as fun to shoot, they are all fun but I would say that the least enjoyable to shoot are the pocket rocket models like the the 26 and the 27. I own a few different Glocks and I enjoy shooting my model 21 (full size .45) and my model 23 (midsize .40) the most. Accuracy is going to be dependent upon you.

HondaMasterTech
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Ive been around other guns. while many are great i think you just cant beat a glock.

Massappeal
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
bought my first hand piece a few weeks ago!:68:
went with the G30sf! highly recommend:43:

walter
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
i have a glock 19c its fun as hell. i also like glock 26. i dont like .40 glocks or .40 anything. never tried glock in 45

mchavez050582
06-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone! What about the Glock 31?

domokun
06-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Hello every one, I am not exactly a rookie on here but I have never posted on here and I have never owned a hand gun. I am thinking about buying a gun before the year ends and I am currently thinking about purchasing a Glock. The only problem is deciding what glock to buy!

I want a reliable gun that will fire when I need it too and also a fun gun to shoot when I go to the shooting range. I want a gun with the best stoping power, accuracy, and range.

The best Glock with the most stopping power is the one that you can comfortably hold in your hands and reliably put rounds on target into the critical/vital organs or center mass area of your target. You'll need to to an indoor range and rent a bunch of them to see which one works the best for you. Everyone's body geometry is different and will result in one Glock working/fitting better than another in your hands. Anything in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP will have the stopping power you're looking for.

soundwave
06-15-2009, 12:04 AM
You need to go to the local range and rent a few different Glocks and see what suits you the best.

This is the best advice you can get when considering a purchase.

One thing to consider is ammo pricing. You will get the best bang for your buck shooting 9mm. Cheaper ammo=more ammo=more training=more fun :)
Modern 9mm HP ammo is going to stop 2 legged threats just fine. Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST, and Remington Golden Saber all come to mind as great HD/SD ammo in 9mm.

Glocks are extremely reliable by trait, except for the G36 possibly (it is the only Glock I have seen repeated problems with).

For a range, self defense, and home defense gun that you can shoot the hell out of, I would look at a G17 or G34.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a CCW friendly county, I would look at a G19.

Again though, I can't stress enough the importance of trying these models out before buying. Good luck with your purchase!

domokun
06-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Take it for a spin at a range that has it for rent. See if you like it yourself.

barrym66
06-15-2009, 12:26 AM
IMHO, get the longest frame gun that will comfortably fit the application you need it for. Longer frame = longer sight = better accuracy. The G19 and G22 are standard law enforcement issue guns, and all Glocks are extremely reliable. I have two G35's (longest frame, tactical/practical competition and sport), G22 (IPDA comp and sport), and a G23 (CCW and regular carry gun). Horses for courses....

As to caliber, get the biggest you can accurately shoot. As mentioned 9mm, .40S&W, and ,45 are all excellent for sport and self/home defense, and ammo for these calibers is standard and easy to find (relatively speaking, these days!).

I recently standardized on .40S&W, based on mag capacity, stopping power, and availability. In general, though, it's a Ford vs. Chevy discussion - all will get the job done (though bigger is generally better, man-stopping power wise)...

Good luck in your choice!

Futurecollector
06-15-2009, 12:47 AM
G-21 FTMFW

leitung
06-15-2009, 1:21 AM
For low recoil and decent stopping power, you can't beat a Glock 19 9mm, I love mine!

For the ultimate in stopping power, you want a Glock 20 in 10mm Auto, ammo is expensive, and hard to find sometimes but the results are worth it. There is nothing like taking the G20 for a ride.
The recoil is no worse than a .45.

If you want compact, get a G29 in 10mm, or a G30 in .45.

Glocks in .357SIG are fun too, but like the 10mm, ammo is very expensive, so going to the range will be a luxury you can only afford once in a while.

If I were you, being new to handguns in general, I would go with a Glock 17 in 9mm, full size, accurate, good for home defence, and you can afford to shoot it. The Glock 19 is also a best bet. The Glock 22 in .40S&W is a good choice if you want a little more stopping power.

Best bet.. go to a local range and try em out, find the one you like and go from there. Remember to check out Sig Sauers, H&Ks and XDs. All good guns as well.

meloki03
06-15-2009, 1:29 AM

Still considering the Glock 31? 357sig IMO is a stopper of a round, but very hard to find ammo for and $$$. Also, even though glocks are very reliable they will break after enough rounds... anything will, and a 357 is gonna make that happen in less rounds than a 9mm. The first HG I bought was an HK USP45, I have never had a problem with it. It functions with 100% accuracy. I then bought a Glock33. I replaced the recoil rod after 500 rounds... it could have lasted longer but it was showing wear... the gun has functioned 100%. I asked myself why I spent $350 more on the HK. the glock replacement part was $15.00 I have never seen an HK replacement part. 357sig and 45auto have close stopping power (so they say), but the 357sig is a lite small round better for carry and concealment weighing less while having a larger capacity. If you want to send some major brass down the range you might want to consider a 40S&W or a 9MM. Ammo is cheap and available... usually. Ballistics however on these two rounds have a disadvantage in stopping power. Weigh it out. If I were you I would consider buying that G31 and an extra G22 barrel. That way you have cheap shooting/or power. I would also consider a 9mm G17 or smaller G19... You can shoot those things for cheap, but if you want some ammo for protection you can pick up some winchester ranger +p or +p+ cop ammo... which is not good for heavy shooting, but an occasional armed mugger should drop without the need for a follow up... Good luck brotha and welcome to the gun club!

5hundo
06-15-2009, 1:47 AM
The best Glock with the most stopping power is the one that you can comfortably hold in your hands and reliably put rounds on target into the critical/vital organs or center mass area of your target.

Anything in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP will have the stopping power you're looking for.

Let's not forget 10mm, though.

The Glock 20 is also a good option. It's got a little more kick than a .40 but if you can control it, they are a good fit...

domokun
06-15-2009, 2:01 AM
Let's not forget 10mm, though.

The Glock 20 is also a good option. It's got a little more kick than a .40 but if you can control it, they are a good fit...

10mm is a nice round but ammo for it sometimes hard to come by. :(

cracktheskye
06-15-2009, 2:14 AM
Please please PLEASE, make sure you go shoot one before you buy one. For a long time I was set on getting a Glock 23 for my first handgun. I went to the range, rented it, shot it, and couldn't stand it. My hand was too big and the forward angle of the grip was too extreme. I like to think that I'm a good shot, but I couldn't hit center mass @ 35 yds. with the thing. I would suggest giving the Heckler & Koch USP, Springfield XD, and Smith and Wesson M&P a try. Also, take into account the cost of ammunition with your first gun, which you may not like! Good luck!

jlh95811
06-15-2009, 4:46 AM
Please please PLEASE, make sure you go shoot one before you buy one. For a long time I was set on getting a Glock 23 for my first handgun. I went to the range, rented it, shot it, and couldn't stand it. My hand was too big and the forward angle of the grip was too extreme. I like to think that I'm a good shot, but I couldn't hit center mass @ 35 yds. with the thing. I would suggest giving the Heckler & Koch USP, Springfield XD, and Smith and Wesson M&P a try. Also, take into account the cost of ammunition with your first gun, which you may not like! Good luck!

Amen to that. Glock just does not work for about 20% of folks. The grip is ackward as they come. You would think they would go the way of the M&P or XDm and give more flavors.

Personally XD's fit my hand best. I also much prefer the trigger to a Glock. M&P feels very nice in the hand; I just hate the hinged trigger.

Anyone looking to purchase a pistol much first shoot a bunch of different styles. First start with one caliber; 9mm as it will be the cheapest to shoot at the range. Get a few different guns with similar dimensions and go to town. Once you find the one that fits your hand best and you can shoot comfortably and accurately then you can worry about caliber choice.

Yes, you may, as I did, Spend $185-200 at the rental counter but you will be forever pleased that you didn't buy a gun that didn't fit you.

AJAX22
06-15-2009, 6:00 AM
IMHO, there is only one REAL glock ;)

the G17 came first and it is still the best

cracktheskye
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM

What about the Glock 40?

http://www.athenahq.com/News/Lee%20Paige%20DEA/Still%202a.jpg

punisheryayarea
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I have a Glock 30sf, Glock 22 RTF, and about to get a Glock 20 SF if i can find the sf version, Glock are great, strong, reliable, and idiot proof I am a true glock fan

ZRT650
06-15-2009, 2:34 PM
caliber dose not matter all that much if your effectively putting rounds on target. With that being said go with which ever you are most comfortable. I would I personally would only get a glock in 9mm .45 or 10mm. Since this is your first glock get one in the caliber it was designed for 9mm. The G17,19 or 26 get my vote!

blasterp7
06-15-2009, 3:33 PM
All Glocks are "blocky" IMHO. So they all are about as wide as you can get for a handgun. That being stated, all glocks are reliable and practically indestructible. They are absolutely the best buy for the $$$$. I have owned many in all sizes and calibers. My opinion is don't bother with a real small one as the "blocky" above really restricts their usfulness in that catagory. If you want a .45 go with the 1911 and its clones as there will never be a better .45, I repeat NEVER.

So the bottom line 19 or 23 Great gun in a perfect size - for the Glock. Cheap ammo in 9 and 40....buy either - I own both - and have some fun!!!

KCM222
06-15-2009, 4:19 PM
Don't forget to try a wheel gun!

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1705&return=Y

Hard to beat in terms of pure simplicity (which is important in a stressful situation).

AJAX22
06-15-2009, 8:18 PM
What about the Glock 40?

I don't trust .40's

Imho the pressures generated are not safe for an unsuported chamber or a thin barrel.

I've seen a number of squib loads followed by full loads cause .40's to KB... and just about all of the glocks I've seen that had a catastrophic KB were chambered in .40 cal. (not an infrequent event)

I have heard of exactly 1 glock G17 which had a catastrophic failure and it was likely from a metalurgical flaw.

I think a large portion of the .40 cal glock KB issue comes from using reloaded ammo that was fired in a glock, then reloaded and fired in another glock.

The unsurported chamber causes the brass to deform and become thin and brittle when resized... and if that section of thin/brittle brass lines up with the unsurported section of the chamber again, there is a higher liklihood of failure than exists in 9mm.

Also, the G17 can use the unmodified G18 magazines and with factory +2 baseplates that gives you a very reliable 33 round pistol.

so even though 1 round of .40 may have a bit more stopping power, the 9mm can keep on truckin till the perp stops twitching, it doesn't matter how many it takes, you've got enough to get the job done with plenty to spare.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0051-4.jpg

626Tony
06-15-2009, 8:22 PM

try the Glock 17 "RTF" the so called 4th generation Glock take a look at gunbroker.com

SJgunguy24
06-15-2009, 9:05 PM
mchavez05082, what's your location? I have a 17,26 and a 21 i'll be happy to let you shoot till your finger falls off. The strait dope on Glocks is the 17,22,31,34,35,24 are all the same frame. The same goes for the compact (19's and the23's) and subcompacts.

The grip angle can be an issue for some but I find it very comfortable. Hold you hand out and point your finger (like when your dad would point and say NO!) at something. That's just about the angle of the grip. The ability to change caliber and the fact that if something breaks, I can fix it and parts are avalible at retail places and on line vendors.

Go out and shoot someone gun and see if you like it before plopping down your cash. PM. me if your local to me and we can schedule a range day.

BTW i'm in San Jose

MarioS
06-15-2009, 9:31 PM

If you're moving your budget up a little bit and you are looking at Glocks, I would recommend trying out Springfield Armory XD's as well. You have your choice of calibers and size as well; Sub-compact model (3" barrel), Service (4" barrel), and Tactical (5" barrel). There have been a few going for around $450 right here on the forums. Add a $35 PPT fee onto that and you are set.

aplinker
06-15-2009, 9:33 PM
I'll throw my opinion in...

1.) caliber "stopping power" arguments are meaningless with handguns. They all suck. Modern ammo essentially equalizes their effectiveness. Pick based on control, capacity, price of ammo = 9mm.

2.) I'm not a fan of the larger Glocks. I'm with AJAX - stick with 9mm. Both the 17 and 19 are fine, it's a matter of preference.

3.) Go to an indoor range that has a "rent once, try many" pricing structure. Glocks are great, so I don't need to defend them, but you may as well try others, too. Also, many people will let you shoot their guns at the range (provide your own ammo or pay for it).

Congrats, man. You'll have fun.

thedust
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I was in your position and decided to get a Glock 19. I am now more of a Sig fan but the 19 is still a pleasure to shoot. Its reliable and the recoil is soft enough to shoot all day long. With premium ammunition, it will do fine as a defensive weapon. Most important I think, with a 9mm you can get the most practice at the lowest cost.

1lostinspace
06-15-2009, 10:56 PM
go to the range and shoot them all.

I like them all!

MarioS
06-15-2009, 11:09 PM

1.) caliber "stopping power" arguments are meaningless with handguns. They all suck. Modern ammo essentially equalizes their effectiveness. Pick based on control, capacity, price of ammo = 9mm.

2.) I'm not a fan of the larger Glocks. I'm with AJAX - stick with 9mm. Both the 17 and 19 are fine, it's a matter of preference.

3.) Go to an indoor range that has a "rent once, try many" pricing structure. Glocks are great, so I don't need to defend them, but you may as well try others, too. Also, many people will let you shoot their guns at the range (provide your own ammo or pay for it).

Agreed.

9mm capacity is somewhat of a null point here though in sunny "10-round" California; for civs anyway. Anywhere else, it's a great advantage.

Z ME FLY
06-16-2009, 4:32 PM
I'd suggest Glock 17 or 19, but at the same time do not limit your search to Glocks. Try different guns before you buy them.

Perfect answer... the more important part is TRY... go to the range..

LesGrossman41510
06-16-2009, 7:34 PM
i have a glock 27 but to be honest if i had to go back in time and do it all over, i would have gone with the Glock 30 in .45 ACP, just an overall badass glock in my opinion and it looks like a beast.

if you are in the bay area go to bullseye in san rafael and try a few different calibers. .45 may be more than what you want so most people reccommend the .40 caliber as the best balance.

Futurecollector
06-16-2009, 7:40 PM
See this thread is proof enough that Glocks are superior weapons, I never hear of XD, or M&P guys arguing over which model is the best, but ask 10 guys what the Best Glock is and you will get 15 different answers :43:

jlh95811
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
See this thread is proof enough that Glocks are superior weapons, I never hear of XD, or M&P guys arguing over which model is the best, but ask 10 guys what the Best Glock is and you will get 15 different answers :43:

That's becuase us XD Guys can simply agree that ALL XD's are AWESOME! :D

JJ1911
06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
That's becuase us XD Guys can simply agree that ALL XD's are AWESOME! :D

+1

I am an XD fan, however the best 9mm I ever fired was a Glock 19.

supersonic
06-17-2009, 2:03 AM
That's REAL easy: a G-20 10mm. The MOST power. The MOST accurate. The MOST fun to shoot!:D

BunnySlayer
06-17-2009, 4:49 AM
The best Glock with the most stopping power is the one that you can comfortably hold in your hands and reliably put rounds on target into the critical/vital organs or center mass area of your target. You'll need to to an indoor range and rent a bunch of them to see which one works the best for you. Everyone's body geometry is different and will result in one Glock working/fitting better than another in your hands. Anything in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP will have the stopping power you're looking for.
Very good advice. I have a 19 and a 23. I like them both and while they are nearly identical guns the 40 is very different than the 9. In the store both would feel the same however on the range the light gun combined with the snappy recoil of the 40 can make for problems for beginning shooters. If you are just starting a 9 might be a better choice in light guns like the glocks.

coq
06-17-2009, 5:47 AM

Best first Glock: G19. It can be carried, taken to the range, inexpensive (relatively) to shoot, very accurate, smooth recoil, great capacity (in another state). Second Glock...go for either more powerful caliber or smaller size: G26 is subcompact version of 19. G30 is awesome .45ACP. Also check out versions in .40, .357 Sig and 10mm. They're all very tough, easy to shoot and field strip, and are extremely reliable.

Ventura_Yak'r
06-17-2009, 6:42 AM

+1

You'll find fans for every gun made - try as many as you can and find your own preference - hell, you may find out that you'd prefer a 1911!

NotSoFast
06-17-2009, 7:55 AM
You need to go to the local range and rent a few different Glocks and see what suits you the best. They are all reliable, as far as fun to shoot, they are all fun but I would say that the least enjoyable to shoot are the pocket rocket models like the the 26 and the 27. I own a few different Glocks and I enjoy shooting my model 21 (full size .45) and my model 23 (midsize .40) the most. Accuracy is going to be dependent upon you.
I definitely agree to go to a range that rents and try some out. I started with a G17 in 9mm but within a year have graduated to a G35 in .40 S&W. So try a few calibers and a few different makes. For ease of use and maintenance, however, I prefer the Glock.

5hundo
06-17-2009, 9:12 AM
That's REAL easy: a G-20 10mm. The MOST power. The MOST accurate. The MOST fun to shoot!:D

I tend to agree, even though I don't currently own one...

luchador768
06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I have two Glock 22's and love them, plus it is great to walk into a Wally World and see piles of ammo, while the 9mm and .45ACP guys walk away scratching their heads. Try out a bunch of guns at the range and see what fits best, then look at ammo availability. I have 7,000 rounds+ through one Glock and 1,500+ through the second, they still look brand new and have never had a FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction.

Ian
06-17-2009, 5:40 PM
I have two Glock 22's and love them, plus it is great to walk into a Wally World and see piles of ammo, while the 9mm and .45ACP guys walk away scratching their heads. Try out a bunch of guns at the range and see what fits best, then look at ammo availability. I have 7,000 rounds+ through one Glock and 1,500+ through the second, they still look brand new and have never had a FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction.

+1. I have somewhere in between 2000-3000rds through my glock22. never an issue.

I dunno where you're finding ammo though..every walmart I goto is out of everything except birdshot and possibly 00buck

SCMA-1
06-17-2009, 6:06 PM
I've owned or shot most of the Glocks and prefer the G21 in 45ACP. It seems to have a reputation for being the most accurate of the Glocks. I used my Gen2 G21 to shoot IPSC at one point and did very well with it. The only problem is the size of the grip; it's definitely not for smaller hands. The G21SF is an improvement in that the grip has been recontoured and slimmed down.

SCMA-1

CaptainGlock
06-17-2009, 7:01 PM
All Glocks are "blocky" IMHO. So they all are about as wide as you can get for a handgun. That being stated, all glocks are reliable and practically indestructible. They are absolutely the best buy for the $$$$. I have owned many in all sizes and calibers. My opinion is don't bother with a real small one as the "blocky" above really restricts their usfulness in that catagory. If you want a .45 go with the 1911 and its clones as there will never be a better .45, I repeat NEVER.

So the bottom line 19 or 23 Great gun in a perfect size - for the Glock. Cheap ammo in 9 and 40....buy either - I own both - and have some fun!!!

Never say never! I prefer my G37 and G21SF Glocks to 1911s. In fact, I've sold off most of my 1911s...and never shoot the two I still have! :cool:

Mstnpete
06-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I love Glocks! 17,22, 21 are very good models to start with.
From 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP. I am sure when you own one, you will be buying more! Stopping power 40 & 45 perfect loads!

eccvets
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
g34 all the way if you can find it

luchador768
06-20-2009, 1:21 AM
+1. I have somewhere in between 2000-3000rds through my glock22. never an issue.

I dunno where you're finding ammo though..every walmart I goto is out of everything except birdshot and possibly 00buck

I have had good luck at the Wal Mart in Clairmont. I go on Saturday mornings and leave with 6 boxes ALMOST every time. I also have a .357 Sig barrel, but only 100 rounds of the stuff. It is an interesting caliber, I don't know if I would bet my life on it though. I recently gave away my Glock 19, but it was a lot of fun to shoot.

meloki03
06-20-2009, 1:26 PM
put holes in paper with a daisy keep the 45 near your bedside

strotherb
06-20-2009, 5:30 PM
I dont feel that you could go wrong with any Glock. It all depends are you interested in buying one gun that will do it all or do you think this will be the begining for you getting into shooting? I would suggest something in 40sw. I own a Glock 37(45gap), 33(357sig), 17(9mm), and 27 (40sw). They 37 is the best new bullet on the market(in my opinion) but ammo is expensive and hard to find, the 33 is also great but also expensive to shoot. 17 is cheap to shoot but the 27 is about the same in ammo price as the 9mm and gives you alittle more bullet. All the glocks(full size, sub, and sub compact) feel good to shoot . So I would recomend the Glock 23 its the compact 40sw. You will get a gun that is not to big to conceal if wanted but not to small if you have large hands, and ammo is cheap enough that you can afford to practice with it. If you cant afford the ammo for your big caliber gun then you wont be proficient with it if you ever need it(and the need to use it for defense would be the only reason for going with a bigger caliber. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you choose and your opinion.

strotherb
06-20-2009, 5:33 PM
I check wallmart once a week when they get there trucks have been able to find plenty of ammo. I just buy what I need to keep up with my shooting and leave the rest for others. If we stop stock piling then we can end this ammunition problem.

theblaircompany
06-20-2009, 6:26 PM
You really cant go wrong with a Glock. I have a model 21. I love the longer barrel for accuracy. Through all the thousands of rounds i've shot the only jams i have had have been due to crappy range ammo. Another plus to a glock is that is so simple to modify. it has relatively few parts. the only downside to the gun is the .45 auto ammo. while good stopping power, it is more expensive to shoot. My next Glock will be a 9mm.

awong251
06-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Here are what I think the pros and cons of a Glock 19. Just remember, it's all personal preference. you will discover the pros and cons of the glock with your experience with it and other various hand guns

Pros: Very quick and simple to put in action in an emergency, eats almost any kind of ammo, very reliable, easy to service, handles well, very accurate, and many accessories are available
Cons: If your hands don't fit the grips you may need a grip job done. Mine fit fine.