View Full Version : Ruger LCP

06-14-2009, 7:11 PM
First off sorry if im posting in the wrong place or if this topic has already been touched on... i did search first and didnt find the answers i was looking for....

I really Really REALLY want a Ruger LCp... i like them... i have a friend that has one and he loves it and i like it as well if you cant tell....

im aware that you cant get them in california because they are not on the DOJ list... but i do have a long time friend that lives just over the border in Oregon... is it possible to do a private party transfer between states? also if it helps his dad is a long time family friend who lives next door to me...

would there be any issues putting it on my ccw if i did get it registered in my name... if that dosent work dose anyone know any other way of going about this....

Also i do have some friends who are LEO's who may be willing to help but i dont like asking....

thanks for all the help in advance... keep up the strong work....

06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Direct family member or LEO is all I can think of.

Direct family member means Grand-parent, parent, child.

06-15-2009, 5:53 AM
Your friend could transfer it to his dad (your neighbor) who then decides he does not like the gun :) and does a PPT to you.

06-15-2009, 6:01 AM
First off sorry if im posting in the wrong place or if this topic has already been touched on..

Nice first post. Do you work for the DOJ?

06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys... so if you do a private party transfer that dosent need to a FFL.... how would he go about transfering it to his dad without going to a FFL... im just trying to get my hands on this gun the right way.... can i put it on my ccw if its not on the DOJ list?

what makes you think i work for DOJ? i work on a ambulance in a small town...

06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
NO, all modern firearms (with some exceptions if older than 50 years) need to be transfered via an FFL in CA. If you were to just buy said gun from your friend in Oregon and bring it back into CA you would be committing a crime.

To transfer a firearm across state lines an FFL must be used (some imediate family members are exempt ie father to son).

06-15-2009, 1:47 PM
what about son to father... then the father can ppt to me.... but will i be able to put it on my ccw sense its not a ca gun? and do ppt need to go threw a ffl... will the ffl do it sense its not a ca gun? thanks for the help everyone...

06-15-2009, 1:48 PM
also what if a leo was to buy it.... can he then ppt it to me?

06-15-2009, 2:11 PM
will i be able to put it on my ccw sense its not a ca gun?

You can still put it on your ccw:thumbsup:

not sure about if an leo can ppt it to you or not... but i don't see why not

make sure to get 2 cuz i want one ;)

06-15-2009, 2:46 PM
ok so my buddy and his dad (and the gun) go into the local FFL (here in Cali) and they will transfer it to him no problem.... then once its in his dads name its a cali gun and he can transfer it to me no problem right? now when we do the ppt do we do that threw a ffl? i just want to get all my facts straight before i go ahead and try to do it....

thanks for the help guys...

06-15-2009, 9:13 PM
Your friend GIVES it to his dad, which can be done in person, or he can just ship it to the ffl after calling them and letting them know. Your friends dad does an interfamily transfer form at the ffl, waits his 10 days and takes it home. At some point after that, your friends dad sells or gives it to you, via PPT at the FFL. You wait YOUR 10 days, then you have an LCP... And as ride said, if you're gonna do one, do 10. Once they are yours, you can sell them via PPT to all us suckers who want one as well..

Oh but the intent of all that is NEVER to sell the gun, everyone just wants the gun, then changes their mind.

06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
thank you everyone... im sorry if i keep asking the same questions i just dont wanna buy a guy and be stuck with it in my buddys name and cant use it for my ccw... once again thanks everyone....

06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
A while back I got attacked in a thread for suggesting some of these methods. I guess the expert with too much time on his hands has found something else to do. I pay premium prices for pistols that aren't on the list but are already here. If somebody makes a profit that's fine. If it makes somebody feel good to call me an idiot for paying what they call "gouger prices" that's fine. I work hard for my money and if I have to pay more to get what I want when I want it so what. If I end up reselling it and somebody thinks the price is outrageous too bad. I paid a premium price for an LCP and love it. I hope to buy another one too.