PDA

View Full Version : Norcal Tent Camping Sites?

joel1316
06-21-2005, 12:03 PM
There are hundreds, if not thousands of places to go tent camping in Northern California! Can anyone help in my search for a nice location to go tent camping? I don't mind tent cities, its just that I don't like RV's all over the place, LOL. (Not flaming on RV's either, hehe)

Suggestions?

fishnfst
06-21-2005, 4:08 PM
Check out icehouse reservoir... I've been going up there for the last 20 years and it has changed quite a bit but is still very nice... Kind of car campingish but plenty of room to pitch a tent. Some great trout fishing as well in the reservoir...

If you have a 4 wheel drive you can go up some of the logging or fire roads as well and do some shooting....

C.G.
06-21-2005, 9:07 PM
Big Sur and surrounding Los Padres. Everything from campgrounds to no one, if you are willing to hike a bit.

joel1316
06-22-2005, 9:36 AM
Thanks guys!

I've heard of the Icehouse.... I'll Google it and see what I can find out.

Rascal
06-22-2005, 4:43 PM
Sequioa National Forrest is a gerat place to go camping. You will need a fire permit if you don't stay in the campgrounds. I go to the Big Meadows area, which is in the National Forest and NOT in the National Park. Guns are allowed in the National Forest, but NOT in the National Park. There are plenty of places to get away from people. You do have to go through the National Park to get to the Big Meadows area.

Pthfndr
06-22-2005, 5:35 PM
Go to your local bookstore and get a book called "The Complete Guide California Camping" by Tom Stienstra. It's a paperback book about the same size and thickness as a bible. Has THOUSANDS of campsites of all types listed, with desciptions and directions.

Keep it in your car. Mine is well worn and favorite sites are marked, right down to specific campsite number at some places.

MadMex
06-22-2005, 8:45 PM
Check out Mineral King, the southern annex of the Sequoia National Park. Camping trailers and motor homes are prohibited - at least they were the last time I went about 5 years ago (road is too narrow, too many sharp turns, and too many single lane choke points). At the end of the road is a beautiful glacial river valley, ranger station, and pack station. Day hike north to Timber Gap and tinker around the old mines and dwellings; look for the old stage road. Day hike south to Farewell Gap for an incredible view. Many places in between Timber and Farewell for day hikes to lakes. Excellent camp ground near the end of the road, and of course, there’s plenty of trail camping. It’s probably one of the least used parts of the national park system in Kali because it takes time and patience to get there. Take a 3 ft tall roll of chicken fencing to wrap around your vehicle. The local vermin enjoy brake lines and radiator hoses.

joel1316
06-23-2005, 8:16 AM
Originally posted by MadMex:
Take a 3 ft tall roll of chicken fencing to wrap around your vehicle. The local vermin enjoy brake lines and radiator hoses.

Reminds me of one camping trip and saw squirrel run into my engine(car was off). He found the tightest spot in the engine and would not leave! I honked, blasted water and still would not leave! I didn't want to start the engine in fear of it getting caught somewhere and making a mess. I just had to wait until it left to get more food when it was time to leave....

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will Google them and make a run to the book store. Found a book titled, Best of tent camping in Northern California.

Any other suggestions and information is still more than welcome!

Thanks!

fishnfst
06-23-2005, 6:50 PM
Along with icehouse there is a ton of stuff up through the desolation wilderness right around the corner... IF you don't want the car camping type sites. You can just get a fire permit and go and find a place to pitch a tent....