PDA

View Full Version : The reality show "The Academy"

aybyman
06-14-2009, 4:38 PM
How close is this to resembling the actual sheriff's academy?

What parts are similar and what parts are different? Are some of the recruits really as slow (both mentally and physically) as the TV show makes them seem?

hill billy
06-14-2009, 5:00 PM
You do realize that is the ACTUAL class at the academy and not fiction, right? Sadly it's pretty close. The Dept has relaxed it's standards on women and minorities due to their consent decree that these are the champions they're graduating these days.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 5:09 PM
You do realize that is the ACTUAL class at the academy and not fiction, right? Sadly it's pretty close. The Dept has relaxed it's standards on women and minorities due to their consent decree that these are the champions they're graduating these days.

Since when does the LASD have a Consent Decree?

hill billy
06-14-2009, 5:11 PM
Since when does the LASD have a Consent Decree?

Not sure how long it's been in effect. White males need not apply. I was told today by an LT in the know that very shortly they expect all female academy classes.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 5:17 PM
Not sure how long it's been in effect. White males need not apply. I was told today by an LT in the know that very shortly they expect all female academy classes.

LASD does not have a Consent Decree, LAPD does. I dont know about all female classes but there is an emphasis on hiring females. I know LAPD wants its police force to reflect its citizens. I think it does as it concerns to race but way low on gender.

hill billy
06-14-2009, 5:40 PM
LASD's consent decree is right there on the front page of the sworn recruitment page.

Halfway down the page

http://www.lasd.org/recruitment/index-sworn.html

Fire in the Hole
06-14-2009, 6:12 PM
I could throw in here as a former cadet of two big established LE Academies, and years later as a Staff DI. But perhaps my input has a little dust on it. So, I'll hold back so that someone with fresh knowledge can answer. But Let me tell you this. I think the LASO is head and shoulders above all other SO's in the country. LA County citizens don't realize how good they really have it until they move somewhere else. No, I am not an LASO Deputy.

As far as some of the cadets appearing a bit on the slow or even dumb side. The staff has but a few short weeks to take a bunch of people from all walks of life, every religion including athesists, straights, gays, the gamet of our entire socialial-economic strata, the bold, the timid, single children, or big mormon families, GED's to Ph.D.'s, world class atheletes to couch potatos, conservatives and liberals, veterans to peace activists, rich and poor, the prim and proper to the sweat hogs, and form them into a cohesive team unit where no chain is stronger than it's weakest link. Strip them of their clothing and replace it with a single uniform. Stress them in physical and mental breaking points. Demand them to perform well while injured, cold, wet, exhausted and hungry. Make them punctual at 0600 despite their commute and have them recite the correct legal answer while being beaked in the forehead by "The Hat", feeling the spray of saliva from the DI's mouth, as your brain scrools down through your memory banks to not only remember the perfect answer, but recite it flawlessly without stammering, stuttering, or crying. Have a TV news crew inches from you, taping and recording every word and jesture you make for posterity. As you compose yourself and deliver the answer, imagine a throng of people standing around you in a circle taunting you with words like: "You must think you're better than us. We'll sue you. You wouldn't say that if you couldn't hide behind that badge, I pay your salary. How come you're not at a doughnut shop? Haven't you made your quotta today Pig? Couldn't you get a real job? You deserve to be fired and put in jail." Then come the water baloons filled with urine and feces lobbed at you.

Now consider a 30 year career of similiar events. And wonder why there is such a high attrition rate. Why is there such a high divorce rate. Why is alcoholism so prevalent? Why is there such a high suicide rate?

Beats me.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 6:13 PM
LASD's consent decree is right there on the front page of the sworn recruitment page.

Halfway down the page

I guess they do have a consent decree as it pertains to the hiring of women, but it looks like it has been in effect for 20 years.

Its a bad time to get hired right now, but i would still recommend LAPD. God bless the guys in green but they got to do several years (up to 5) working the jails after they graduate. and then they have to go back to the academy to get retrained to work the streets. And when they do go into the streets as 3-5 year veterans they get treated like rookies.

Join the LAPD and you could be working the streets of South Central the day after you graduate. Unless youre scared that is. In that case we'll put you in the Valley.

hill billy
06-14-2009, 6:20 PM
Its a bad time to get hired right now, but i would still recommend LAPD. God bless the guys in green but they got to do several years (up to 5) working the jails after they graduate.
Not correct, exactly. If you want to be in the AV, you can be out in a few months. In any case, it is a very bad time to be a white male trying to become a deputy. Sadly, they make up the bulk of the candidates, and so many guys who would be good deputies are getting bumped by fat chicks who can't pass many portions of the testing requirements.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 6:22 PM
Not correct, exactly. If you want to be in the AV, you can be out in a few months. In any case, it is a very bad time to be a white male trying to become a deputy. Sadly, they make up the bulk of the candidates, and so many guys who would be good deputies are getting bumped by fat chicks who can't pass many portions of the testing requirements.

Antelope Valley? nah, real cops work Century or Lennox, even East L.A.

hill billy
06-14-2009, 6:25 PM

Right. :rolleyes: You know that the AV is one of the busiest and most productive divisions for LASD, right?

Real cops don't have to proclaim that their patrol area is what makes them a "real" cop on an internetz forumz.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 6:28 PM
Right. :rolleyes: You know that the AV is one of the busiest and most productive divisions for LASD, right?

Real cops don't have to proclaim that their patrol area is what makes them a "real" cop on an internetz forumz.

When you pin a badge on, then you can talk sheeat. its what we do, you'll see;)

eviioiive
06-14-2009, 6:42 PM
someone on this forum was on the show....

retired
06-14-2009, 7:23 PM
When you pin a badge on, then you can talk sheeat. its what we do, you'll see;)

That is the absolute truth and some more than others, right.;)

In my day it was Firestone, Lennox and then Lynwood when we took them over.

bluestaterebel
06-14-2009, 8:39 PM
That is the absolute truth and some more than others, right.;)

In my day it was Firestone, Lennox and then Lynwood when we took them over.

Yeah, I dont doubt that Antelope Valley may be busy, but I'll be sure to ask Homicide where they spend most of their time.

CaliTheKid
06-15-2009, 8:40 AM
Let's not forget Compton :chris:

hill billy
06-15-2009, 8:42 AM
someone on this forum was on the show....

Who was it?

Ron-Solo
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Halfway down the page

FWIW,

The Bowman Consent Decree applies to the Promotion of females, not the hiring. The Department is trying to hire more females to get more eligible for promotion to comply with the consent decree.

On it's face, it does not restrict hiring. Until the budget issues, the Department was hiring both males and females as quickly as they could.

Ron-Solo
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM

What parts are similar and what parts are different? Are some of the recruits really as slow (both mentally and physically) as the TV show makes them seem?

Unfortunately, the producers of the show focused on the knuckleheads because that is what they were looking for - ENTERTAINMENT. It is not REALITY as they try to make you think. It is unscripted, but the editing is always done to keep people entertained and coming back.

If you think any reality show is 100 % real, you are mistaken. The people doing the editing manipulate what you see so that when it comes to the "Tribal Council" or elimination time, you never really know what is happening.

This manipulation is one of the reasons the Department is no longer working with Fox Reality on this show. It focused too much on the screw-ups and not enough on the ones who 'made the grade' without any controversy and excelled at what they did. I have a couple of deputies from those classes working for me and they are excellent deputies.

Ron-Solo
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM

Are you LASD? If so, what academy class? Please provide some supporting info for your statement above.

hill billy
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Are you LASD? If so, what academy class? Please provide some supporting info for your statement above.

I am not. But I am familiar with who is being put through. Some of the weak people they are showing on this show are graduating and I am pretty sure I would not want them working for me. I understand the entertainment factor but some of these kids are just awful. As for the Dept's relaxed hiring standards, I have personally seen females fail sections of the PT that are listed as pass/fail and out and be passed through anyhow.

ilbob
06-15-2009, 2:10 PM
I am not. But I am familiar with who is being put through. Some of the weak people they are showing on this show are graduating and I am pretty sure I would not want them working for me. I understand the entertainment factor but some of these kids are just awful. As for the Dept's relaxed hiring standards, I have personally seen females fail sections of the PT that are listed as pass/fail and out and be passed through anyhow.Not much different than many other government jobs. Even the army has relaxed its standards to allow more woman in.

Mostly it has not been quite the disaster it might sound like it could become.

A lot of PDs have been forced to lower their height requirements, even though physical size is a major plus to being a cop.

Ron-Solo
06-15-2009, 2:37 PM
I am not. But I am familiar with who is being put through. Some of the weak people they are showing on this show are graduating and I am pretty sure I would not want them working for me. I understand the entertainment factor but some of these kids are just awful. As for the Dept's relaxed hiring standards, I have personally seen females fail sections of the PT that are listed as pass/fail and out and be passed through anyhow.

As I said, the producers of the show slant things to make it entertaining. we had people in my academy class (#190) that struggled in the beginning but by graduation had straightened up and have had successful careers. The show only gives you want it wants you to see.

The negative slant is why you won't see a season 3.

And by the way, please stop giving your 'expertise' on the LASD since you are not part of it.

Fire in the Hole
06-15-2009, 4:32 PM
As I said, the producers of the show slant things to make it entertaining. we had people in my academy class (#190) that struggled in the beginning but by graduation had straightened up and have had successful careers. The show only gives you want it wants you to see.

The negative slant is why you won't see a season 3.

And by the way, please stop giving your 'expertise' on the LASD since you are not part of it.

Do you think "The Academy" was a good recruitment tool for potential candiates, or did the severity of some of the episodes scare more away than it attracted? Adam12, Police Story, SWAT, the short lived 240Robert, and CHiPs paid off in aces as recruitment tools, but of course were much softer. CHiPs was of course Fantasyland, but it had an international audience, and sure sold like hotcakes.

retired
06-15-2009, 9:49 PM
Yeah, I dont doubt that Antelope Valley may be busy, but I'll be sure to ask Homicide where they spend most of their time.

I wasn't questioning where Homicide spent most of their time; I was responding to the below statement of yours:

Since you didn't use a ;) or a :D, I didn't know whether you were joking or not. My statement about the 'Stone, Lennox and Lynwood was just to show the same kind of thinking about those stations back then.

As far as I'm concerned, "real cops" work all of the stations. They may not have as many homicides as the ones you mentioned, but they have types of crime that is sometimes unique to their area; some that deputies at the other stations have not run across. Handling a homicide does not a cop make.

When I was in patrol in the late 80s and 90s, Asian home invasions were frequent in the Walnut and Industry areas due to the Temple that was built in HH and the large influx of Asians to the nearby communities. That is just one example, tho there are others.

Pitting the deputies of one station against the deputies of another to say who are the "real cops," does not doing anyone any good.

Now, if you were joking and just forgot the smiley, remember what Gilda Radner on SNL used to say, "Never mind.":D

bluestaterebel
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I wasn't questioning where Homicide spent most of their time; I was responding to the below statement of yours:

Since you didn't use a ;) or a :D, I didn't know whether you were joking or not. My statement about the 'Stone, Lennox and Lynwood was just to show the same kind of thinking about those stations back then.

As far as I'm concerned, "real cops" work all of the stations. They may not have as many homicides as the ones you mentioned, but they have types of crime that is sometimes unique to their area; some that deputies at the other stations have not run across. Handling a homicide does not a cop make.

When I was in patrol in the late 80s and 90s, Asian home invasions were frequent in the Walnut and Industry areas due to the Temple that was built in HH and the large influx of Asians to the nearby communities. That is just one example, tho there are others.

Pitting the deputies of one station against the deputies of another to say who are the "real cops," does not doing anyone any good.

Now, if you were joking and just forgot the smiley, remember what Gilda Radner on SNL used to say, "Never mind.":D

;) :D

retired
06-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Thank you sir!:)

ilbob
06-16-2009, 5:58 AM
Do you think "The Academy" was a good recruitment tool for potential candiates, or did the severity of some of the episodes scare more away than it attracted? Adam12, Police Story, SWAT, the short lived 240Robert, and CHiPs paid off in aces as recruitment tools, but of course were much softer. CHiPs was of course Fantasyland, but it had an international audience, and sure sold like hotcakes.
Its not as if any of the other shows you mentioned were remotely realistic either.

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 6:52 AM
Its not as if any of the other shows you mentioned were remotely realistic either.

But that's not the point. Remember the "perception is reality" posts. My question is if "The Academy" served as positive recruitment tool, or did it turn potential applicants away?

SVT-40
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
What is the current attrition rate at the academy now? It seems more make it through than in times past. My class LASD#191 started with 106 Cadets. We graduated with 66.

Now it seems most graduate.

Regulus
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
What is the current attrition rate at the academy now? It seems more make it through than in times past. My class LASD#191 started with 106 Cadets. We graduated with 66.

Now it seems most graduate.

Wow... almost half the class?

I think the attrition rate has been much less than that for decades. IIRC, my class LASD #259 didn't lose a single one.

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
My class 197 lost about 50% too. And less than half of them were still on the job after 5 years. Including me.

Bizcuits
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Checked it out on Hulu, will definitely watch it later tomorrow.

fullrearview
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
we started with 65 and finished with 37. Great class though. class before us started with 75 finished with 17. 3 of those who failed previous, passed with us.

scombs263
06-16-2009, 1:42 PM

There really needs to be a show about the Orange County Sheriffs Academy. That is how an academy should be run. It is night and day difference with what you have seen on TV.

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 3:27 PM
Funny, you never hear much about them as an agency. I think partly because most of OC is incorporated, and with the large tax bases all the cities can afford their own P.D.s

Take San Francisco Co. Every square inch of SF Co. is incorporated. I've got frfiends who've lived there entire lives in SF, and have never seen or heard of one. Their job must dedicated the courts unless SF runs a separate Marshalls Office, and custody. Anybody know? Nevermind, I just looked their website. 800 employees Limited to running the 6 Co. Jails, Court Baliffs, and Warrant Service.

SkyStorm82
06-16-2009, 3:32 PM
Funny, you never hear much about them as an agency. I think partly because most of OC is incorporated, and with the large tax bases all the cities can afford their own P.D.s

You can say that again...;)

retired
06-16-2009, 5:05 PM
Plus, OC's uniforms are something else:eek:

I first met some OC deputies in 1978 when I was riding out of Idt. on a 3 month program from the jail (PEP). We were in Diamond Bar on a traffic accident on ems.

The car had gone off the road and into the trees. This occurred on Brea Canyon Rd. near the OC line. My T.O. and I were in this area when suddenly I saw 2 guys in green uniforms walking in the same area. I asked my partner why the forest service was there and he told me they were OC deputies.:eek:

He told me to go look at their patches to confirm it. Well I did so and saw they were in fact deputies, but I could not believe the symbol they had on the patch: It was an ORANGE!!! That's right; it was a fruit!. I guess there was nothing left since we had taken the bear.:D

I returned to my T.O. without laughing, tho I wanted to and under my breath to him I laughed. He thought it was funny also.

I'm just joking around and if anyone here is an OC deputy, please realize this. My former neighbor was an OC deputy, then sgt. and I had a lot of respect for him and his dept.

The physical agility test for them is by far the hardest one I ever took. Running in that sand was energy sapping to say the least.

SkyStorm82
06-16-2009, 5:22 PM
Pickle suits:43:;)

Jonathan Doe
06-16-2009, 6:29 PM
My class started with 80 and graduated 63.

scombs263
06-16-2009, 7:55 PM
There really needs to be a show about the Orange County Sheriffs Academy. That is how an academy should be run. It is night and day difference with what you have seen on TV.

OCSA is one of the last HIGH STRESS academies in the state of california. I went there back in 90's and it was hard core. They pride themselves on how many they can get to fail or quit. I think that they usually lose 30-40% of all recruits. My buddy went there about 5 years ago and asked what was it like and what to expect, I told him to watch the series on Navy Seal training on cable tv, it is kind of like that, but not as hard core, he thought I was joking. When he went there, he understood what I was getting at. That academy expects nothing but the best from you and doesnt settle for average, they pride themselves as only passing solid officers. I'm not saying that other academies dont, just this one really pushes it to another level.

SoCalDep
06-16-2009, 8:29 PM
I work up in the AV, and while not one of the chosen few who work/worked 21/03/02, I like the unique challenges of the area.

I know a lot of good guys from the above stations, and some of the best people I've ever met work the AV. We may not have the homicide stats, but that might have something to do with our arrest stats...:)

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 8:36 PM
Does the OCSO train all the P.D.'s in OC?

Ron-Solo
06-17-2009, 8:04 AM

It helped recruitment, which wa a good thing.

If I remember correctly, our class (190) started with somewhere in the vicinity of 135-140 and graduated 89. At our 30 reunion last August, 26 were still active. Sadly, over 10 of those who graduated are deceased.

Ron-Solo
06-17-2009, 8:08 AM

Orange County has an academy? Just kidding.....:D

Like I said earlier, take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.

sgtbuck
06-17-2009, 8:55 AM
Heck i thought anything north of the Nuke plant was L.A. ? :D

eviioiive
06-17-2009, 9:23 AM
Who was it?

a member that wears blue... probably doesn't want to advertise...

CaptMike
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
The average drop rate for LASD Academies is approximately 25 percent. the current class that just started on monday started close to 70 and they have lost 9 as of today.

Shoot-it
06-19-2009, 7:10 AM
Did you guys see the episode where that cadet could not decock his beretta and lock and re holster.He tried to decock buy holding the hammer with his thumb LOL. He was book smart could pass code tests but that was it.

Then it was the one with the female cadet that could not pump a shotgun she did not have the strength. I had a few shows recorded on my dvr.:D

ilbob
06-19-2009, 7:33 AM
Did you guys see the episode where that cadet could not decock his beretta and lock and re holster.He tried to decock buy holding the hammer with his thumb LOL. He was book smart could pass code tests but that was it.

Then it was the one with the female cadet that could not pump a shotgun she did not have the strength. I had a few shows recorded on my dvr.:D

I only watched a few episodes.

On one of them they dropped a guy who had a heart issue. Seems he lied about having had a bypass. I guess they must not give them medical exams before admission, since any doctor would have been able to tell he had a previous bypass.

The weirdest thing is they booted him out for lying about the bypass, but then suggested he re-apply.

socalsheepdog
06-29-2009, 3:21 PM
Does the OCSO train all the P.D.'s in OC?

They train most of them but there are several other Academies in the county. Most agencies prefer OC. Many of the tac officers are from city agencies as well, just like it is in LA.

indyjrt
07-02-2009, 1:53 PM
I was embarassed to watch that show. It was so sickening, since the cameras are gone, the "Hollywood" atmosphere is gone and now they are training properly.