PDA

View Full Version : First handgun

09-05-2005, 11:11 AM
After seeing events unfold in New Orleans and given the propensity for natural disasters here in CA, I am considering purchasing my first handgun for home protection purposes. I've shot a few handgunds in the past and liked the Beretta and the Walther. But I'd appreciate it if you could provide some suggestions as a first handgun for hom protection purposes. Cost is not a factor. I'm mainly interesting in finding a handgun that will require minimal upkeep and ease of use.

C.G.
09-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Gun Newbie:
After seeing events unfold in New Orleans and given the propensity for natural disasters here in CA, I am considering purchasing my first handgun for home protection purposes. I've shot a few handgunds in the past and liked the Beretta and the Walther. But I'd appreciate it if you could provide some suggestions as a first handgun for hom protection purposes. Cost is not a factor. I'm mainly interesting in finding a handgun that will require minimal upkeep and ease of use.

Handguns are somewhat individual - they need to fit your hand. You also need to decide on caliber. Best thing would be to find a range that rents handguns so you could try various calibers and handguns, till you find something that fits and you can shoot well. I have a Berretta and Sig, but any major manufacturer should be fine.

09-05-2005, 12:12 PM
glock 19

JH2
09-05-2005, 12:40 PM
My favorite is a Sig 226 in 9mm, with a CZ50 in .32acp for back-up. Bedroom gun is a USGI 1911A1 and an Rem 870 with the extended mag tube. The wife likes her S/W revolver in .357.

If it really gets ugly, I have my M14 type and about 10,000 rounds of .308.........

Try as many as you can before you "just get one". It has to feel natural when you use it.
When you do get one you like, PRACTICE as much as you can.

CaliTheKid
09-05-2005, 5:13 PM
Glock 17 or 19. Rent, shoot then buy. Beretta's are good too but require a little more TLC and are a little more complicated to service. I'd stay away from the Walthers. Sig and HK are good as well. But I still like the Glock best. Very simple to maintain, easy to use and very reliable. If you are not dead set on a semi-auto, you chould consider a stainless revolver by Smith and Wesson or Ruger. Welcome to Calguns too!

RRangel
09-05-2005, 7:08 PM
There are many good choices out there. Visit your local gun shops and continue to seek good advice where you can. cg had good advice. Trying out rentals is a good idea to see what you're comfortable with. I'd say anything in 9mm and up is a good choice.

Some of the gun shops I frequent like Turner's will have basic and advanced handgun training class information available should you want to sign up and pay. This would be a good idea and it's not to expensive given that it may one day save a life.

Rascal
09-05-2005, 8:43 PM
I know that you have your heart set on a handgun, but would you consider a nice 18" barreled 870 shotgun? This is probably one of the best home defense weapons around, and very easy to use.
As far as picking out a handgun for you, that's like me trying to pick out underware for you.
You are the one that must hold it in your hand and tell how it feels. 9MM, .40S&W, .45acp, they're all good, it's just a matter of preferance on your part.

09-05-2005, 9:35 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies. Seems like the consensus on this board and my friends who are gun owners is to go to a range where they rent guns and try out a few until I feel which is the right one for me. That being said, it also seems that most people faovr the Glock 19 and the Beretta so I'll definately rent those at the range. I remember firing the Beretta and thinking that I really liked it more than the four or five other guns my friends let me try out a few months ago. I don't think I tried the Glock so I'll definately give that a test as well.

C.G.
09-05-2005, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies. Seems like the consensus on this board and my friends who are gun owners is to go to a range where they rent guns and try out a few until I feel which is the right one for me. That being said, it also seems that most people faovr the Glock 19 and the Beretta so I'll definately rent those at the range. I remember firing the Beretta and thinking that I really liked it more than the four or five other guns my friends let me try out a few months ago. I don't think I tried the Glock so I'll definately give that a test as well.

If you like the Beretta, try the Sig line as well. I can't decide which I like better; my Beretta 92 has a longer sight, so it is a little easier to aim, but the Sig P226 has a better trigger and fits my hand a tad better. Glocks generally don't fit my hand, if they did I would probably have one of those as well.

09-05-2005, 9:54 PM
Actually, I have one more question: What is the legal limit in CA for clip size? Is it only 10 rounds? If so, is it possible to find larger clips such as 15 or 17 rounds on a Glock 19?

C.G.
09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Actually, I have one more question: What is the legal limit in CA for clip size? Is it only 10 rounds? If so, is it possible to find larger clips such as 15 or 17 rounds on a Glock 19?

10 rounds. It is possible, but not legal to get more than that; unless you want to risk jail time I would not attempt it.

rkt88edmo
09-07-2005, 5:38 PM
If you post your area you might find a shooting buddy who will let you try a whole array of handguns for free http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Honestly, you are better off renting a gun, not just for the range, but for a training course. Not only will you receive training, but you will have a much better idea of what you want.

If cost is not a major concern, get training, then choose a gun.

Oh yeah, Ruger MkII and glock 17/19 :P

09-07-2005, 6:39 PM
If you are interested in learning pistol marksmenship then I suggest you buy yourself a quality .22 pistol-- you can burn up a lot of ammo, develop your skills and not develop a big flinch etc -- then go about renting and considering centerfire pistols a little later.
I've seen many new shooters at the range over the years with brand new centerfire pistols trying to teach themselves to shoot and achieving the level of marksmenship that most people at public ranges have-- which is none...

If you want a firearm simply to protect yourself and your property then go buy a quality 12 gauge pump action security shotgun...practice with it once a month and leave it at that...

09-07-2005, 6:40 PM
Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions. My buddie and I are taking a private training class over the weekend where we'll be able to try out as many guns as we like. Seems like the Glock 19 and the Beretta are the two guns of choice.

09-07-2005, 6:46 PM
just be sure to try a nice mix. narrowing down to glocks and berrettas is just one set of opinions. Sig Sauer makes great semi autos pistols, as does CZ. Some will tell you shooting a glock is like holding a 2X4 and that berettas open slide design is a liability etc.... then again there are die hard fans of both. Personally I like 1911s.... Just try a good mix.

Good luck and safe shooting.

Rascal
09-07-2005, 8:36 PM
Seems like the Glock 19 and the Beretta are the two guns of choice.
No, they were 2 handguns that were suggested, but the majority of people here said that you really need to try many, many handguns to see which will fit YOU the BEST. Are you getting this?
He's a hint. YOU Must figure this out which handgun YOU LIKE BEST

Turbinator
09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but if x number of people went through that exercise of renting them all, and it seems a majority fell in love with the G19 or 92FS, wouldn't it be fair to draw a possible inference that our new friend here might also like the G19 or 92FS? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Turby

09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Don't worry guys, we're going to try them all! Heck, I might even pick up a pump action shot gun to add to my arsenal! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bear
09-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I rented a Glock 9mm, and now I currently own 8 1911 type pistols in .45 acp. And no Glocks.

Try every action type. Ask your friends, or come to a group get together that sometimes gets announced on this board.

There's a lot of varieties of 1911 types, in all calibers. Some people like Glocks. Kahr is good. Smith & Wesson makes great revolvers, so does Ruger. Ruger makes good quality automatics, but they are so ugly (to me) that I couldn't pay money for one.
Sig has a good reputation. So many choices.

Elarski
09-09-2005, 7:27 AM
GunNewbie: Where are you located? I've got a G19 if you want to try it out; we can meet at a local range if we live close enough to each other.