PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for Basic Training on the 23rd

thebloodsonthewall
06-14-2009, 4:23 PM
Hey guys. I just got back from my honeymoon and now I am getting ready to leave for basic training. I am going to Fort Benning for BCT and then to Fort Gordon for AIT. My MOS is 25U. You guys have any advice or words of encouragement?

I feel bad about leaving my wife for six months since we just got married but that's how it is.

Requiem
06-14-2009, 4:39 PM
I feel bad about leaving my wife for six months since we just got married but that's how it is.

Tell her to get used to it.... it's the military.

Opus109
06-14-2009, 4:47 PM
You guys have any advice or words of encouragement?

Yes: Good luck, God speed, shoot first and ask questions later.

Vacaville
06-14-2009, 4:49 PM
1. Don't say anything stupid, profound, or what you may think is funny to the DIs. Best thing to do is to fly under the radar as best you can and not attract attention to yourself. You'll be punished enough for what your buddies say and do. :D

2. Don't volunteer for anything. It won't score you any points, and no one likes a brown noser, including your DI.

3. Don't think it's all about training and physical development. They are going to strip down your individuality and mold you into a killing machine by seriously messing with your head. Be prepared to get in trouble for stuff you didn't do - things completely out of your control. Embrace the insanity and enjoy the ride.

4. Drink lots of coffee so you can keep awake.

Have a good time!

Stockton
06-14-2009, 5:11 PM
Refer to all NCO's as DI's...they love it...you'll get better treatment.
Eat as much as you want at chow....its free.
Go to sick call as much as you can.
Got to the PX and buy cigarettes,licky chewies..etc etc
Bring some type of video game and your cell phone...you'll have lots of downtime.
Most of the stuff you already know so don't sweat it and have a damn good time.
Make it to Class 6 and get alcohol.
Do your minimum on PT test...save your energy for parties.
Stand out front in formation...the DI's go for people in the back.
Make sure to ask them to repeat themselves when you are not clear.
Those weapons are **** so don't take for ever cleaning them...be first to turn yours in.
Sleep as much as possible...get up 2min before formation...you have plenty of time.
If you get put on detail then shame out whenever possible...they'll never know.
When you have to pack your ruck always leave a few items out...they never check.
If you forget something just take your buddies...like shirts or kevlar...they allow you to share.
Whenever they call you take your time...you've got like 9weeks and they are cool.
Most of all relax... its a stress free environment that will allow you grow naturally as a soldier.

yzernie
06-14-2009, 8:57 PM
In todays world it takes a committed person to head off into the military. Thank you for your committment to this great country!! Take the words written above to heart and follow them!!!

Good luck and Godspeed.

operationblackwater
06-14-2009, 9:25 PM
I give you credit for dedicating part of your life to our country, it takes a brave person to join the service during conflicting times, Best of luck to you.

thebloodsonthewall
06-15-2009, 3:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advise. I can't wait to get started.

Darklyte27
06-15-2009, 6:16 PM
have fun heh

Kokopelli
06-15-2009, 6:28 PM
I am going to Fort Benning for BCT...

Good advice has already been given.

My son will be there for BCT at the same time as you.

Best of luck & God speed. All soldiers are in the thoughts & prayers of Americans.

KP

dilligaffrn
06-19-2009, 3:23 PM
Bring some type of video game and your cell phone...you'll have lots of downtime.
Those weapons are **** so don't take for ever cleaning them...be first to turn yours in.
Sleep as much as possible...get up 2min before formation...you have plenty of time.
When you have to pack your ruck always leave a few items out...they never check.
If you forget something just take your buddies...like shirts or kevlar...they allow you to share.
Whenever they call you take your time...you've got like 9weeks and they are cool.
Most of all relax... its a stress free environment that will allow you grow naturally as a soldier.

LOL

What he said.

goathead
06-19-2009, 3:29 PM

LOL:43:

yock
06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
best of luck & when your done and look back you will be proud you did it.

ElevenBravO
06-20-2009, 1:33 AM
25U? Isn't that communications? Or something related or was that 25B?? Since you're going to Benning, you should be a non-11B. Or you might end up in a battalion full of non-11b's. Good luck, they'll probably talk you into becoming an 11B or Ranger. Take it!!! Lol... Jk... Good luck, you're gonna have fun there... Maybe. Lol... Might as well start doing some PT while you're here

NiteQwill
06-20-2009, 5:31 AM
I hope you don't enjoy sleep. :D

I too was at Benning. Good times. Lots of things have changed.

Can't really give you tips that others already haven't given. For your marriage, write letters/call and focus on the POSITIVE.

goathead
06-20-2009, 8:37 AM
I hope you don't enjoy sleep. :D

I too was at Benning. Good times. Lots of things have changed.

Can't really give you tips that others already haven't given. For your marriage, write letters/call and focus on the POSITIVE.

the bigest thing is IBA's all day long :eek: