PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone local to do basic ar15 smithing...

IMC87
06-13-2009, 6:51 PM
I'm looking for someone to remove my front sight from my ar15 and replace it with a low profile gas block (parts will be provided). Heck, if you can take off the delta ring assembly in the process that would work too (if not i can just dremel it off)

Someone local to me (im in whittier area, but i am willing to drive). With the tools and knowledge to get this small task done. I would prefer it to be a walk-in/ walk out deal (same day).

So, who can help a fellow calgunner? :D

ojisan
06-13-2009, 7:15 PM
PM AR15 Barrels...he can do it all. Culver City.
He's out of state right now shooting a match...he'll be back in about a week.
He does check the forum, so you may get a reply soon.

IMC87
06-13-2009, 7:44 PM
Hm, i will indeed PM him, but wouldnt he have a back log of other things to do first before he does the work on mine? I will look into it, but anyone else out there that does it out of their garage or something?

IMC87
06-13-2009, 7:59 PM
OR....should i just dremel the front sight down far enough to have clearance underneath a rail system?

Saigon1965
He has a sweet tooth - Bring him some Skors bars and you're in front of the line -

SJgunguy24
Hm, i will indeed PM him, but wouldnt he have a back log of other things to do first before he does the work on mine? I will look into it, but anyone else out there that does it out of their garage or something?

He might, but shoot Randall a PM. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to have him work on anything I own.

SJgunguy24
06-13-2009, 8:03 PM
OR....should i just dremel the front sight down far enough to have clearance underneath a rail system?

You have a hammer? Beat to fit.......paint to match.:p

Do you have a set of small punches and a hammer? That should be enough to get the gas block off, maybe a wrench for the brake.

Brownell has a ton of DIY videos for free on their web site. Lotsa good info.

IMC87
06-13-2009, 8:07 PM
well i figure that the rails are just going to cover the gas block, hence the need for a low profile. I found a good link on ar15.com for a DIY low profile block.
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/fsb/fsb10.jpg

Doesnt look too bad right? i think i'll try this. any objections? (i wont take it off the barrel, so i'll have to be extra careful)

SJgunguy24
06-13-2009, 8:16 PM
well i figure that the rails are just going to cover the gas block, hence the need for a low profile. I found a good link on ar15.com for a DIY low profile block.
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/fsb/fsb10.jpg

Who is randall?

AR15barrels.

That doesn't look bad, but it'll be covered up by the rails anyway so who cares.

IMC87
06-13-2009, 8:30 PM
OK, time to use some elbow grease for this one, i will attempt to make it look as good as that pic, wish me luck guys :D

well, i'll attempt it on my next day off :P

Saigon1965
06-13-2009, 8:30 PM
OP - Relax - Randall will have you done and back on the road in a tad - He works late into the night also - You just picked a bad time - He's on vac. for the next week or so -