PDA

View Full Version : Running Reg or CDL Checks for friends.

Fire in the Hole
06-13-2009, 5:06 PM
Man this to really get my goat. It seems to be lessening up though. It use to be that if I was at a party, BBQ, etc., you could almost count on it happening. Someone would find out that you were a cop, then they would try and get you off to the side. They'd hand you a little piece of paper with either a license plate number, or somebody's name and DOB written down on it. The'y ask you to do them a little favor and run these for them. For various reasons. Sometimes just for curiosity or maybe they wanted to get dirt on someone, or just some dad wanting a little background on his daughter's new boyfriend.

Don't these civilians know that this is confidential information? That check runs gets traced back to us, and that we better be able to come up with a good reason for running it during an audit? Or get fired? Or do they just not care.

I never did it. Of course now you're the big ***** at the party.

Triad
06-13-2009, 5:40 PM
I haven't been on very long but I have only been asked once to run a license plate and it was by a Fireman, looking for information on who else was living at his rental (not on the lease.)

I politely told the hose dragger I could get fired if its not for offical purposes and he winked at me and laughed.

My only experience thus far. My friends know better LOL.

Eroland7
06-13-2009, 5:41 PM
I always get bugged about this type of stuff... I just tell them to kick rocks...

Jonathan Doe
06-13-2009, 5:46 PM
I just tell them I need a reason to run the info. I have a JDIC access on my computer at my desk at the office. I use it to run serial number of guns or license plate of a car that I examined or something that relates to my work. Some people don't have idea why we have the JDIC access.

Fire in the Hole
06-13-2009, 5:59 PM
In my case it seemed to epidemic. I mean I couldn
't go anywhere without it happening. I'd be at my son's t-ball game, and a coach would do to me. I'd go to church, and the minister would do it to me. I go to a PTA meeting, and teachers would do it to me. For several years, I was known as "Mr. too big for his britches, ethics man." "Can't do a simple favor for a friend man"

Well, I guess I'm glad to hear that it's not as frequent as I had thought. I had a beautiful Italian Girlfriend when I was on the SO. Her family actually had her break up with me, after I had to refuse their requests. I swear the whole family looked like casting call stand in's for the Sopranos. Yes, there was the obligatory Uncle Vinney.

SVT-40
06-13-2009, 10:26 PM
It's just ignorance, in addition to fools believing what they see on television and the movies.

As said above A good reason to get yourself fired and put in jail.

eltee
06-13-2009, 10:50 PM
We've seen cops get fired (and in extreme cases, criminally charged) for misuse of the automated information systems. These days you need a log in number, if you leave a terminal unattended it shuts down, etc. etc. so there is an electronic trail.

However, the private sector is getting alot of open source info through civilian information systems. I tell them I can't help them, but refer them to one of the online services. When I explain that access is now very secure and that the sanctions are severe, they usually understand.

retired
06-14-2009, 1:29 AM
I recall one time after briefing running a guy I thought had a warrant and I had intended to go get him once out in the field. It was a legit use of the system and about a week later, the head secretary said she had received a note from DOJ and wanted to know why I ran the guy.

Once I explained why I had done it, she said fine and that was the end of it.

As said, the public just doesn't understand. I was lucky I guess, because when I explained it to only a few people, they understood and there wasn't any problem with them.

FLIGHT762
06-14-2009, 6:18 AM
We had a reserve and a regular Officer successfully prosecuted for it.

Always say no. It's nothing to mess with. The days of running people for reasons other than legitimate L E related are over.

6172crew
06-14-2009, 8:36 AM
Can you ask for a check on yourself? Ive always wondered if my NFA toys show up, or my CCW.

My cop buddy told me the same thing you said, he can get into trouble running folks unless he had a reason.

Fire in the Hole
06-14-2009, 9:32 AM
Can you ask for a check on yourself? Ive always wondered if my NFA toys show up, or my CCW.

My cop buddy told me the same thing you said, he can get into trouble running folks unless he had a reason.

Yes, you can have yourself run at the DMV. Just show Your CDL and pay a nominal fee. However this is a first eschelon run. That will only go back 10 years at most. If you got a ticket in 1969, a DUI in 1970, a wreck in 1971, they won't show up. Only LE can access the second eschelon in extreme cases. And do so on all background checks.

Fire in the Hole
06-14-2009, 9:39 AM

Your CCW is not linked to the DMV at all for anybody. Only a few states do that. You can order a DOJ print out on line of your guns. Long guns will not show up. I did this 2 years ago just out of curiosity. Any handgun you bought outside of CA, or from a military base exchange won't show up. I bought 7 Browning 9mm Hi-Power Pistols at Shape Nato HQ in Belgium for $217.00, back each in 1977. shipped them home. There is no paper trail for them.

eltee
06-14-2009, 2:26 PM

You can generally get yourself run. What you are going to be able to see varies. People often come to HQ to request a written "clearance" letter for employment, adoption processing, etc. They pay a fee, show ID and fill out a form and the agency will provide a letter showing that you have/have not been arrested. For detentions, hook and release, arrests w/o conviction, etc. it depends on where you go.

sgtbuck
06-14-2009, 2:53 PM
I used to get asked all the time. I would tell them that here in San Diego county you can check them yourself. At least they can see if the person they want info for has a warrant for their arrest. I would also explain that me running a check on someone without a good reason could land me in jail. My Department made us sign a paper acknowledging it is illegal to run someone for a private mater.

Here is the web site in case you would like to check it out. http://apps.sdsheriff.net/warrant/waar.aspx