PDA

View Full Version : Model 1 Sales kits

dwtt
04-08-2005, 10:07 PM
HI,
anyone have experience with Model 1 Sales kits?
I'm thinking of buying a kit in preparation for the day I get transferred out of Kalifornia at work or land a new job in Oregon. How accurate are their upper receivers? I'm planning on buying their 20" A2 upper, since it's similar to the M16A2 I shot in the Marine Corps back when George Bush Sr was mad at Saddam. How's the overall quality of Model 1 rifle parts? thanks.

dwtt
04-08-2005, 10:07 PM
HI,
anyone have experience with Model 1 Sales kits?
I'm thinking of buying a kit in preparation for the day I get transferred out of Kalifornia at work or land a new job in Oregon. How accurate are their upper receivers? I'm planning on buying their 20" A2 upper, since it's similar to the M16A2 I shot in the Marine Corps back when George Bush Sr was mad at Saddam. How's the overall quality of Model 1 rifle parts? thanks.

endings1@aol.com
04-09-2005, 3:24 AM
Bushmaster never raised my eyebrow upon inspecting the order.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

delloro
04-09-2005, 8:54 AM
you want to buy a kit and let it collect dust until some future date uncertain?

you are better off with your money collecting interest in a bank. let it sit there in a bank until you find a discounted price opportunity. you will always be able to buy a Model 1 Sales kit at the regular price, there is no sense at all in buying one now.

IF, however, you are jonesing for a kit and you simply cannot not have one (a feeling I sympathize with), IMHO you will be far better off lurking on the arf.com sale boards and acquiring a name-brand kit.

make sure you get a 1/7" chrome lined Gov't profile barrel, settle for nothing less, the barrel is where ALL the business is. Colt and Bushy used to sell them, call Bushy and see if they still do. If it comes assembled on a Bushy upper, then you are mostly done. If not, they are a snap to assemble yourself. wait for a great deal on a high quality upper, get a RRA B/BC set, fill in the small parts as they come up, with only recognized name brands. the lowers are easy to assemble, and not much is needed.

though M1S has many satisfied customers, you must verify that they have the correct barrel (skinny under the handguards).

FWIW

maxicon
04-09-2005, 3:42 PM
Try a browse and search on the build-it-yourself forum over at http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4,. Lots of info on the various kit suppliers over there.

The name brand builds (Bushmaster, RRA, Colt, etc) have better resale value, but the kitmakers are cheaper and some are just as good, according to many opinions. I went with J&T, because they had the best overall rep of the no-name kit builders, but M1S has its fans too.

If you're not in a hurry, you can watch the equipment exchange at ar15.com and pick up parts as necessary. CDNN is selling Colt AR15A2 uppers that people have been happy with: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=225265

Get one of these, a b/c/ch, and build your lower with the appropriate stock, and you've got it nailed.

delloro
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Maxicon is right. Colt brand or equivalent barrels are $200, the upper is $100, sights and everything else will be anothr $100, that is a very good deal.

If I were accumulating an AR kit, I would buy the CDNN upper, a RRA B/C/CH assembly, RRA NM 2-stage trigger, disconnector, pins and safety and whatever buttstock and PG you want. You will lack for nothing and have top-quality parts.

leswift
05-09-2005, 9:38 AM
If money and lots of fun are issues, you do NOT want a 1 in 7 rifling twist, because it does not do well with the .22lr conversion unit. A chromed bore is just a waste of money and a probaby an accuracy handicap.

rkt88edmo
05-09-2005, 3:13 PM
If you have time until you plan to build the gun, I would spend the time looking for a good deal on a used brand name upper. That way you can save the money and get an upper that is much less likely to have issues.

I would definitely recommend a chrome lined barrel unless you want a benchrest accuracy type of gun.

-hanko
05-09-2005, 3:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leswift:
If money and lots of fun are issues, you do NOT want a 1 in 7 rifling twist, because it does not do well with the .22lr conversion unit. A chromed bore is just a waste of money and a probaby an accuracy handicap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For a dedicated .22, consider DMPS and others..what weight bullet will be your predominant choice??

As to a chromed bore, consider why the military uses 'em & make your decision accordingly. If your goal is ultimate accuracy, go with an unlined hbar profile unless $$ is no object. If you need a shooter/go-to gun, chrome lining has a number of advantages & accuracy is still more than good enough to stop an uncomfortable situation.

-hanko