PDA

View Full Version : Steps to getting a 01 FFL?

AlliedArmory
06-13-2009, 2:32 AM
right now i run Allied Armory. Sole Proprietorship and run out of my house. I am in the process of changing the Sole Proprietorship to a LLC.

What would be my next steps to getting a 01 FFL?

ke6guj
06-13-2009, 10:26 AM
next step is to determine if your local zoning laws allow for you to run a gunshop out of your home. If they do, then you can file the paperwork to get an 01. If they don't, the 01 will be denied.

djbooya
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
what if the person just wants to provide "service" such as transfers, shipping and receiving, but no retail sales?

(He can always do internet sales with no walk-ins. Retail counter not present, no set hours, etc..)

Been thinking about that myself. Actually i have the apps sitting here staring at me... but I wonder about Contra Costa Co. I do live in an un-incorporated area if that may help as it will not fall under city (such as Walnut Creek:eek:) ordnance.

You don't have to do retail sales with a shop, but when I talked to the ATF they won't approve any FFL running out of the home anymore (regardless of zoning). Old FFLs were grandfathered in. Don't know how true that is. Assuming you have office space somewhere (doesn't matter how big it is) then you're only going to have to worry about whatever local city / town codes you'll needto comply with. E.g., in Fremont I had to get a "Conditional Use Permit" which alone cost me $3000..not all places have these sorts of issues. You may be ok where you live just getting a Business Permit for cheap and then an account with the BOE (for sales tax) which runs <100 I forgot how much I just paid to set my account up. Took me 6 months from start to finish now just waiting on my CFD number. It only took me so long becuase of local city stuff. The state / federal process wasn't too bad. However, my total startup costs thus far without even starting to sell yet is in the 20k range. Your results can be more or less depending where you live and what requirements your city/police department/fire department/insurance company/landlord have for you.

SDProtection
06-15-2009, 8:58 PM
I agree with Booya. Just received my FFL and even though I had my own office space, I was pinging ATF on garage FFL's when they were doing my inspection. Not happening at least in the South West US division. They want posted business hours for their random inspections among other reasons.

cousinkix1953
06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
You don't have to do retail sales with a shop, but when I talked to the ATF they won't approve any FFL running out of the home anymore (regardless of zoning). Old FFLs were grandfathered in. Don't know how true that is. Assuming you have office space somewhere (doesn't matter how big it is) then you're only going to have to worry about whatever local city / town codes you'll needto comply with. E.g., in Fremont I had to get a "Conditional Use Permit" which alone cost me $3000..not all places have these sorts of issues. You may be ok where you live just getting a Business Permit for cheap and then an account with the BOE (for sales tax) which runs <100 I forgot how much I just paid to set my account up. Took me 6 months from start to finish now just waiting on my CFD number. It only took me so long becuase of local city stuff. The state / federal process wasn't too bad. However, my total startup costs thus far without even starting to sell yet is in the 20k range. Your results can be more or less depending where you live and what requirements your city/police department/fire department/insurance company/landlord have for you.
Ironic that Fremont Police stopped responding to night time burglar alarms because it costs $$$. The chief changed his attitude, when thieves burglarized a gun shop in the business district. On the other hand, they would be foolish to attack a home shop that is usually occupied 24/7...

djbooya
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Ironic that Fremont Police stopped responding to night time burglar alarms because it costs $$$. The chief changed his attitude, when thieves burglarized a gun shop in the business district. On the other hand, they would be foolish to attack a home shop that is usually occupied 24/7...

I don't know when that would have been. Irvington Arms is the only other gun shop in Fremont and I don't recall them being hit up since the alarm thing went into effect. Also, the false alarm response has more to do with Residential then Commercial. They'll still respond to businesses, but if you have more then 2 false alarms per year they make you pay. It was like that up in Petaluma as well. Not the part about not responding, but about making you pay after asking them to respond to a few false alarms.

rbetts
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
The ATF said that they did not care about home based FFL's and that the local Municipalities have jurisdiction there. Been up and running for 2 mos now without a hitch.

So it's FUD in Northern California. Check your local zoning laws first.

crob241
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I applied for my 01 ffl some time ago, it is a home based business. My approval took longer then normal because of the background check showed a arrest in the 70`s with no resolution. It took 6 months to get it cleared up. Let me add I have a plating business already with all the permits and such, I wanted to start plating and gunsmithing guns. I have a customer base and a website. I checked home based on the application, 4 weeks ago I had my on site inspection and all went good, now I am just waiting for the license. I had my coe, state resale license and city license that has to be updated for retail firearm sales by the city when the ffl arrives ( the city, Hesperia) does not issue firearm licenses but will amend my current license when the ffl is here. When the examiner was here I had everything possible even the signs, he checked out my workshop complete with parts inventory and machinery, he could see I was serious and ready to start business. I think you need more then just " I want to sell guns" to get approved for a home based ffl these days charlie@overlandplating.com

myfavoritecar
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Does anyone know how hard it would be to start a home base FFL01 in walnut creek that is governed by Contra Costa County and not the City?

AlliedArmory
06-24-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks for all the responses. time to start this long process and hopefully i can have my FFL by Xmas

Rudolf the Red
06-27-2009, 9:36 PM
It was a piece of cake getting my business going out of my garage up here in Tehama County. Of course, the doors of the cop cars here have cow heads on them....

The ATF inspector was super nice. The DOJ inspector was really great. It was a very simple, straightfoward deal. 3 months and about $400. That was for rifles. Handguns are another story with the Safe Handling Demonstration requirements. That took another couple months to sort out.

I look foward to the DOJ or ATF coming by again. If I am doing something wrong, I want to know so I can do it right the next time. All I want to do is follow the law.

eosmo
10-26-2009, 4:38 PM

NOT TRUE.. I live in Southern California, am a home based FFL, and just received my license as of 10/20/09. My understanding is you CAN still get a home based FFL, but the final decision is based on the zoning of the city/county where you live. If local ordinances allow a home based gun dealership, the ATF is cool with it. As stated, County, City, and State license fees do still apply and they can be $$$$.