PDA

View Full Version : hi point?

josh_crosson
06-12-2009, 11:46 PM
i know how annoying it can be for a newbie asking questions that have been covered, but i did a search and really didnt come across anything, but if there is a thread that covers this, forgive me for repeating.

this hi point 9mm?
has anyone got one or shot one? any feedback?
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9%20mm/hi_point_9mm.html
pic related, its the 9mm

thanks, josh

armygunsmith
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. My experience is that the pistols are pretty cheaply made. All the ones I fired could not be field stripped to clean them. On the other hand, if you MUST have a pistol but can't affor anything else, then get one.

Futurecollector
06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
IT will go bang everytime,

just save up and get a GLOCK, lol

josh_crosson
06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
everything i came across on gun reviews on youtube.com about this weapon said its cheaply made, can and has had some problems with jamming, but for the price its a great gun and is fun to shoot. dont know the guys name but he said "yes its not the greatest gun, yes youll have problems, but im gonna go out and buy one because its fun to shoot and for the price, you get a lifetime warrenty"

Sobriquet
06-13-2009, 12:41 AM
$155 for a handgun!? I firmly believe that you almost always get what you pay for.

If this is anything more than a range toy, save up a little more and get yourself a used handgun from a quality brand that you can trust with your life. Obviously Heckler & Koch (HK), Sig Sauer, or Glock would be my preferred choice of defensive handgun... but if budget concerns are paramount, even something like a S&W Sigma would probably be better than a Hi-Point, right? I don't think Rugers are that expensive, either, but I've never shopped for one.

11011500a
06-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Mrs 11011500a
I have a hi-point .380 I love it, it works wonderfully I got it used. I have put 250rds through it with out a snag. Some say they are ugly and are goofy to take apart at first but once you get it, the second time is easier. I love mine and have no complaints.
(Glocks) Tupperware is meant to stay in the cabinets not in the safe.
Glocks suck:p!

josh_crosson
06-13-2009, 12:52 AM
well what it is, is its a first handgun. if it works out for me then ill buy something a little more "reputable"? if not then ive only lost out on less than a few bills. and it will be used for range/target/fun shooting, not needing anything for home/self protection.

eccvets
06-13-2009, 1:35 AM
I have a hipoint C9 and the only reason why i dont like it is cuz I cant find any cheap 9mm to shoot thru it. it jammed (failuer to feed) a few times in the first 300 or so rounds but after that it has not jammed on me at all (I have had glocks and hk's jam/stove pipe on me as well). I also polished the feed ramp as well which seemed to help.

as far as accuracy is concerned, it won't be a bull's eye gun at 25 yards but you can keep them in about a 3 inch ring. Not too shabby comming out of a 3.5 inch barrel. It was never ment to be extremely accurate or for long distance shooting, it's good for shooting people dead at ususal handgun ranges (in doors/at resonable distances).

The gun is extremely top heavy which is unsusual at first but you get use to it very quickly and it makes felt recoil very low.

One day at the range and you'll probally shoot more money via ammo thru the gun then how much the gun cost now adays. I mean its so cheap why not pick one up? It does work and at least for me it works very well. It's an ugly gun but if you need one and need to put a 9mm/.380/45 thru someone, it will do it the same way any other gun with at 10-25 yards.

P.S. It's a great gun to teach a beginner shooter with. Ever have someone drop your expensive gun cuz they got scared of the recoil... it only takes one time to ruin a 1k+ gun.

I'd say the only place you wouldnt wanna use it is for ccw.

go to youtube and look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Er4VK4yA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxzMal-NY0&feature=related

I use it for plinking and when I go on the road/camping. I'd rather have a cheap gun with me which works then nothing at all. It cost next to nothing, I don't worry about it (unlimited lifetime warrenty which transfers from owner to owner, a hell of a lot better then most companies out there right now!), it gives me peace of mind, and it's hella fun to shoot. I have 1000+dollar guns which are great but I shoot this thing more then anything else to be honest because of the above reasons.

Oh yeah, I've never heard of a hipoint going KB like a lot of the glocks and other guns out there. The only time i have seen one destoryed on the internet was after it was shot with 45/10mm/and shotgun slugs.

Gary13
06-13-2009, 7:56 AM
Met a guy with one of these last weekend at the range and he let me shoot it. Had a bit of kick to it, but otherwise was fine. I have considered getting one, but saving for something a bit better.

Pistolwhipped
06-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Its a throw away gun. Kinda like those 25s they had years back that you could buy for 50-100 bucks then whack someone and then trow it away. :2guns:

THT
06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I've shot two Hi-Points in the past and each one had some sort of failure before expending a full magazine. My buddy tried the same guns and he too ran into the same failures (failures to feed, fire, AND eject). If I had one and was defending myself with it, I'd pull the trigger once then throw it at my attacker.

Cato
06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Butt ugly guns. If you are pinching pennies, for a hundred more you can get a Sigma. I bet you can get a good used (hardly broken in) Sigma for the same price.

walter
06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
That thing is garbage. I rather spend an extra 200 an get a ruger .22. Like cars and everything else, do it right the first time

Futurecollector
06-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Butt ugly guns. If you are pinching pennies, for a hundred more you can get a Sigma. I bet you can get a good used (hardly broken in) Sigma for the same price.

even with sigmas your going to spend 400 bucks, If your going to spend that get a Glock, There is a G22 for 450 in the FS forum, and everyone knows how dead balls reliable Glock is, no one ever doubts them!

hybridatsun350
06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
You get what you pay for... that's all I have to say.

bigthaiboy
06-13-2009, 1:19 PM
Most of the people who bash Hi-Points have never fired or owned one. Their "prejudice" for them comes from their price point. You can't compare a Hi-Point with Sig or Glock or even a Ruger, because they are not even close in price point.

Hi-Point make cheap bulky guns, which work. It doesn't even have to be a throw away gun, because the manufacturer offers an outstanding lifetime "no-quibble" warranty, unmatched by any of the major gun makers. They'll just repair or replace it, and send you an extra mag for the inconvenience.

I have a second-hand C9 which I use as a plinker, and I mistreat it. Once a year, if I can be bothered, I will run a patch down the barrel, and wipe whatever internals I can reach without having to dismantle it, and it has yet to malfunction in any way.

I also have a Hi-Point 995 carbine, and that rifle is 100% reliable and amazingly accurate (to 200yds) for a $200 semi-auto carbine.

Check out the Hi-Point forum, to see why there are people who love their Hi-Points.

leitung
06-13-2009, 2:23 PM
I am thinking of getting a CF380 as a cheaper beater gun to take with me out of town and for backwoods use and such. It can get scratched, dropped, lost, stolen without me freaking out..

JAGGUY
06-13-2009, 2:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to the HiPoint forums and see what actual owners think of them.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

http://hipointtalk.com/

Yes, I am a very satisfied Hi Point owner
-greg

eccvets
06-13-2009, 2:48 PM
even with sigmas your going to spend 400 bucks, If your going to spend that get a Glock, There is a G22 for 450 in the FS forum, and everyone knows how dead balls reliable Glock is, no one ever doubts them!

At that point, why not spend a little more money for a HK usp or perhaps a nice kimber 1911?

Cato
06-13-2009, 2:57 PM

I remember Turners used to have them for around $229 right before the election.

D53
06-13-2009, 8:15 PM
I picked one up a couple weeks ago just for the hell of it. I paid $225 OTD, which I know is high, but post Obama its actually not hat bad. The only thing I dont care for is the trigger pull, its pretty crappy IMHO. I usually use my Glocks, but I figured I would buy one because at the time I had the extra cash and it was available. I would saw, if you need a gun, it goes bang, but its about 85% reliable.

dakobster81
06-13-2009, 8:58 PM
dont they come in a cereal box? look at the thing, how comfortable are you lining up your sights and shooting it in front of your face with a $150 gun, im not so comfortable.

bigthaiboy
06-13-2009, 9:01 PM
I picked one up a couple weeks ago just for the hell of it. I paid $225 OTD, which I know is high, but post Obama its actually not hat bad. The only thing I dont care for is the trigger pull, its pretty crappy IMHO. I usually use my Glocks, but I figured I would buy one because at the time I had the extra cash and it was available. I would saw, if you need a gun, it goes bang, but its about 85% reliable.

Only 85% reliable? Sorry, but you were robbed! Just kidding. From what other people have said, some Hi-Point pistols are reliable out the box, and others need a little break-in of about 300 or 400 rds before they work very reliably. Trigger will also improve more rounds through it.

As the pistols use a simple blowback design, limp-wristing can cause the pistol to jam.

Maplewood
06-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Having owned a C9 and then a Sigma and now a Glock 23, I say buy the Hi-point and try it out. Best way to learn first hand is to buy and try, sell it later on when you have tired of it and move up, you should be able to get most of your money back out of it so why not. I loved the Hi-Point when I bought it, but it lost it's appeal after awhile, and the Sigma is a nice gun but the trigger was hard for me to shoot straight with, so I continued to move up the ladder, Now I have the Glock 23 and really like it, but having the others is worth the experience.

D53
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Only 85% reliable? Sorry, but you were robbed! Just kidding. From what other people have said, some Hi-Point pistols are reliable out the box, and others need a little break-in of about 300 or 400 rds before they work very reliably. Trigger will also improve more rounds through it.

As the pistols use a simple blowback design, limp-wristing can cause the pistol to jam.

Thanks for the responce but no limp wristing going on here. :thumbsup:

vega
06-14-2009, 1:54 PM
I have a C9 and it eats all my reloads. I have not try factory loads on it yet since the price for new has gone sky high and that is if you can find one. The only problem I had was FTFire because one of my primers was seated the other way.

Futurecollector
06-14-2009, 2:14 PM
At that point, why not spend a little more money for a HK usp or perhaps a nice kimber 1911?

Kimbers are junk IMHO,
ill take a colt or a RIA 1911,
HK usp is what 300 bucks more than a Glock? and what about Mag prices? yeah ill stick with Glock lol

SJgunguy24
06-14-2009, 2:14 PM
I shot a couple of Hi points and i'm not impressed. Some like them I don't, but thats me. Find somebody who has one and shoot that one. Never buy a gun unless you can shoot an example of the same thing first. It can have rave reviews or be ripped to shreads, but thats one persons opinion, not yours. From the examples i've shot, I would save my money and buy a used Ruger, if you can find one. I know a lot of people who bad mouth Rugers but you don't really see too many used ones for sale......I wonder why.

Futurecollector
06-14-2009, 2:15 PM
I remember Turners used to have them for around $229 right before the election.

for a Sigma? wow lol I should have gotten one then, I was in turners on Friday and the damn things where right around 400 bucks!!! :eek:

NorthCountySC
06-15-2009, 5:30 PM
Mrs 11011500a
I have a hi-point .380 I love it, it works wonderfully I got it used. I have put 250rds through it with out a snag. Some say they are ugly and are goofy to take apart at first but once you get it, the second time is easier. I love mine and have no complaints.
(Glocks) Tupperware is meant to stay in the cabinets not in the safe.
Glocks suck:p!

My tupperware has put close to 20,000 rounds through it with little problem..i prefer my sig. Honestly I think that the highpoint isnt a bad gun if you want to save money...but if it comes down to saving my life I would rather get something made out of something other than recycled license plates.

leitung
06-15-2009, 7:22 PM

I wanna give that little brick a try, let me know when you hit the range again, I shot the CF380 but only like 5 rounds.

Stanze
06-15-2009, 7:27 PM
I personally wouldn't get anything more lower cost than a Ruger pistol. Plenty of bang for your buck!;)

Sigma's are around the same cost as a Ruger, I hear they have HEAVY triggers, but can be easily remedied by removing a spring.

1JimMarch
06-15-2009, 7:31 PM
The problem with owning a Hi-Point is that you might have to admit to owning a Hi-Point.

And who wants to do THAT.

bombadillo
06-15-2009, 8:37 PM
Don't know what the fuss is all about, I shot the last hi point better than a pistol I owned for years. Couldn't believe it but I grouped it really well at 25 feet. @ 45 feet it scattered out a little bit but it was still a clean group.

Fantasma
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Well I think Hi-Point is making a fine move by creating gun owners that otherwise would have not been if it wasn't for one of there very inexpensive handguns...

Someone see's it and says hmm, good price, goes bang, I think i will keep one around home. Maybe a person that wants to get into handguns see's a cheap way to get introduced to them.

That is just how some people think.

My friend that don't like guns bought one and said I will just keep it at home if the need might arise.. He was happy he paid less then $200 for it.

mossy
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
it is a drop gun. save up and get a glock.

Gunaria
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Keep searching there are about a dozen Hi-point threads in here. I like mine.

Gunaria
06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Here's one;

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=110675

jessegpresley
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
The only thing buying a Hi-Point accomplishes is making your next real gun $155 more expensive.

No, I have never shot a Hi-Point. I have also never driven a Daewoo, eaten rancid meat or visited North Korea. But I'm certain that the 4 experiences would surely suck.

Buy once, buy right. It's cheaper in the long run.

eccvets
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
I shot a couple of Hi points and i'm not impressed. Some like them I don't, but thats me. Find somebody who has one and shoot that one. Never buy a gun unless you can shoot an example of the same thing first. It can have rave reviews or be ripped to shreads, but thats one persons opinion, not yours. From the examples i've shot, I would save my money and buy a used Ruger, if you can find one. I know a lot of people who bad mouth Rugers but you don't really see too many used ones for sale......I wonder why.

I agree but the thing is hipoints are actually fairly hard to come by thru friends and their cheap enough to buy just to try.

Maplewood
06-16-2009, 8:51 AM
I think I can get you a C9 with a soft holster and a Fobus paddle holster, barely used for $175, send me a PM and I will hook you up with the guy that has it. Don't believe all the hype about Hi-Points being total crap, they are however and entry level gun that does have any bells or whistles. Like I said before, it's worth it to buy any gun you might like and try it out, if you get tired of it or don't like it it turn around and sell it and buy another. I find it fun to try out some of these cheaper guns, wish I could buy some of those small Kel-Tec's

ilbob
06-16-2009, 9:34 AM
I have one in 45acp. Goes bang when I pull the trigger. Bought it mostly because of all the anti-HP people out there (already had two 45s - did not really need another).

Its not really a good choice for CC. Just too big and the controls are a bit difficult to use. Safety lever is not ideal 8 round mags, and no slide release. But for $168 OTD, I don't see you can beat the value.

Some claim the brand is trouble prone, but people that actually own them seem to like them, especially as plinkers.

I have not put enough rounds through mine to come to any kind of a serious conclusion, but so far so good.

YMMV.

TheBundo
06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. My experience is that the pistols are pretty cheaply made. All the ones I fired could not be field stripped to clean them. On the other hand, if you MUST have a pistol but can't affor anything else, then get one.

They DO have a Lifetime No-Questions Asked Warranty

mat19er8
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Reminds me of my old 72 Pinto, it was cheep and worked most of the time.

BunnySlayer
06-17-2009, 3:41 AM
The problem with owning a Hi-Point is that you might have to admit to owning a Hi-Point.

And who wants to do THAT.
Hi points are like fat chicks. Fun to play with as long as your friends don't see you with them. Kidding aside if it's all you can afford. It beats throwing rocks. Gun snobs (like me) look down their noses at them but if it works and keeps you shooting. Go for it. If, however you can save a little more for something you can have pride and confidence in I would do so.

colossians323
06-17-2009, 4:23 AM
this hi point 9mm?
has anyone got one or shot one? any feedback?
pic related, its the 9mm

thanks, josh

The best handgun on the market;)

old45guy
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
For a $150 gun its good. for 300 you are getting ripped. They shoot accurately but the recoil is stronger than any 40 i have shoot (Ihavent shoot the hi point 40) and they are ugly. they are very hard to work on such as cleaning and mags are hard to find. They are fun to shoot but you are better off waiting till you have enough to get something better