View Full Version : register grandfathers gun?

06-12-2009, 5:32 PM
Helping my friend ask this question,

So he has a grandfather that was in the Navy now deceased leave my friend with a bunch of handguns and rifles, what is the proper way of registering them or does he have to? He does not yet have his HSC, is it legal for him to bring it to the shooting range? Thanks.

06-12-2009, 5:39 PM
Rifles are fine, but he will need a HSC and will need to fill out the intra-familial handgun transfer form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

06-12-2009, 5:45 PM
Long guns coming from mothers/father grandmothers or grandfather are "paper-less" so there is no requirement to register the long guns. The handguns however must be registered with the DOJ using this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) along with a $19 fee. He must get his HSC and me must be 18. See the below link for more information.


(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the
infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate
succession, or other means by one individual to another if both
individuals are members of the same immediate family and all of the
following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30
days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or
deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that
includes information concerning the individual taking possession of
the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description
of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals
complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the
Department of Justice.
(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a
handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.

(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means
any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.