PDA

View Full Version : How big of a tactical advantage is the pistol grip?

ChuckBooty
06-12-2009, 5:15 PM
I recently traded my AK for a Mini 30. The reason is that I was absolutely SICK of using my Raddlock (not to trash the Raddlock...it's an ingenious and efficient device for keeping your AK CA legal). I want my detachable magazines (I actually have a few legal hi-caps for the Mini 30 too...so that's another reason) and I don't want to have to press a tool in the mag release in order to use my rifle. I was thinking about a real SHTF situation and that I'd first have to go out to the garage and switch the Raddlock out with a regular magazine release...I'm just not down with that. I'd much rather keep a full magazine by the nightstand and be able to just slap 'er in and go.

So I wonder...what (if any) tactical advantage does the pistol grip offer over a standard long gun configuration? In any situation...in battle, during a SHTF, or even at the range?

gn3hz3ku1*
06-12-2009, 5:20 PM
harder to reach around the side of the wall and do the spray and pray with a mini vs an AK ;)

domokun
06-12-2009, 5:22 PM
You could have put a MonsterMan grip on your AK or used it without any Pistol/MonsterMan Grip attached to it and thus rendered it a featureless rifle. It would have allowed you to use detachable magazines provided that you didn't have any other prohibited features on the AK originally besides the pistol grip. As for the use of the pistol grip, it allows you to hang onto the rifle with one hand while reaching for a magazine or the charging handle on the rifle with the other without having to shift your hand away from fire control.

SCMA-1
06-12-2009, 5:57 PM
So I wonder...what (if any) tactical advantage does the pistol grip offer over a standard long gun configuration? In any situation...in battle, during a SHTF, or even at the range?

NONE. It's a cosmetic/ergonomic design feature only; it does not magically turn any semi-auto mag fed centerfire rifle into a murderous lead spewing weapon of death as the anti-gun people and those who crafted the CA AW bans want you to believe.

SCMA-1

cmace22
06-12-2009, 6:07 PM
It offers more fexibility to the user. Like the above posters have said. To me, its also more comfortable and it was the way the paticular rifle was designed.

If it offered no advantage, it wouldnt have been designed that way unless it was out of nessesity. In terms of an AR, the design called for a pistol grip because of the geometry of the other component in relation to the operation of the rifle ( buffer tube, straight line design of the rifle).

Does it do anything for accuracy or being able to knock down multiple baby puppies in an all out Rambo asault.... NO!

Also it provides more of a neutral grip compaired to an almost supinated rifle grip.

ChuckBooty
06-12-2009, 7:06 PM
Yeah...I know about the MM grip. I just think they look silly. In fact the only modification of that type that I think looks sharp is the U-15 stock for the AR. I just was done playing the game. I think my next rifle will be a Saiga but I'm done with AK's and AR's in California for the time being. It's just not worth it to me. Although my DREAM rifle would be an AR chambered in 7.62x39 with a Raddlock Bullet Button. The Radd/BB makes practical AND tactical sense since it allows the user to quickly modify the AR back to full functionality if you leave the state or if zombies attack.

enchantor
06-12-2009, 7:24 PM
I use a MM Grip on my AK so I can use my regular cap mags and detach them without a tool. It works exceptionally well.

I also recommend an M1A because you can use them the way they were designed and still detach mags without a tool the way god intended.

If SHTF I would probably take my M1a over the AK anyway just because I feel it is a superior weapon system, not to mention you can have it completely un-neutered in CA.

Hopi
06-12-2009, 7:28 PM
If you're concerned with functionality, then the MMG is the way to go and actually very ergonomic. Besides the aesthetics issue that you've listed, have you tried that route yet?

ChuckBooty
06-12-2009, 7:50 PM
If you're concerned with functionality, then the MMG is the way to go and actually very ergonomic. Besides the aesthetics issue that you've listed, have you tried that route yet?

I haven't tried the MMG's yet. Although, like I said, I may as well just go with a stock Saiga if I'm gonna do something like that.

I've already made the trade too....I'm pretty pumped for my new Ruger!

Pistolwhipped
06-12-2009, 7:57 PM
Try it without a pitol grip and I bet you'll miss that feel. Even the monsterman grip just doesn't compare.