PDA

View Full Version : Best AR type uppers?

Carpenter 409
06-12-2009, 4:07 PM
OK lets hear your opinion shooter, What AR-15 type uppers do you like and why?

I want to build a second upper for my Colt SP-1 (Small Hole), but really don't know what I want. I understand these uppers should all be Mil Spec, but what has been you're experience?

Any pitfalls I should look out for before I build?

Thanks
Mark

Jicko
06-12-2009, 4:08 PM
Colt... :D

Obviously right? For your Colt lower...

6920 or 6940....

Sig556swat
06-12-2009, 4:09 PM
Not that I have used many to compare but I love my Noveske upper.

Carpenter 409
06-12-2009, 4:14 PM
I guess I should have included this too, mainly looking for a flat top upper, something I can put an ARMS rail system on.
Jicko I would love to find a Colt flat top upper but they are so rare.

Jicko
06-12-2009, 4:39 PM
I guess I should have included this too, mainly looking for a flat top upper, something I can put an ARMS rail system on.
Jicko I would love to find a Colt flat top upper but they are so rare.

I will soon be selling one, so, stay tuned!

technique
06-12-2009, 4:51 PM
Colt is the way to go if ya got the money. I always go for Colt.

They aren't too hart to find. I see them at gunshows all the time complete. Finding the exact one you're after is the chore, most you find are 20in Hbars.

When I shop this is my list in order of preference

Colt
LMT
Noveske
Brovo co

There are lots of other good MFGs but thats what I look for.

ENTHUSIAST
06-12-2009, 5:12 PM
I agree w/ tech Cant go wrong with these:

Colt
LMT
Noveske

cmace22
06-12-2009, 5:12 PM
First, decide what the rifle is going to be used for. Then determine what your needs and wants are in that upper. Next search for manufacturers that provide that particular upper. Pick a manufacturer that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. Last purchase said upper and have fun.

Jicko
06-12-2009, 5:15 PM
When I shop this is my list in order of preference

Colt
LMT

Like this? Factory Colt mate with factory LMT ..... :D

http://images22.fotki.com/v815/photos/6/26966/7638413/IMG_5417-vi.jpg

cmace22
06-12-2009, 5:27 PM
Its hard to just throw out manufacturers names because some dont offer certin config's.

LMT= carbine unless you go MRP then you can get mid but no rifle length.
Colt=Carbine and rifle no mids AFAIK may be wrong
Noveske=Carbine and mids no rifle length

I went LMT cause i couldnt get the colt I wanted and i wanted a 14.5.
I bought another LMT with the intention of getting the MRP where ill run a mid 16.

technique
06-12-2009, 5:33 PM
All my Colts are bought and store in Idaho...all 100% colt. Even my OL Colt is there.

I have mounted some Colt uppers to my other brand lowers. All fit well.

Here is a crappy pic of my Ca LMT upper/Noveske lower.....its been seen here before. Its one of my favorite and absolutely reliable ARs.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/pics4CGs008.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/pics4CGs009.jpg

cmace22
06-12-2009, 5:51 PM
Here is my all LMT 14.5

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/gunstuffforsale002-1.jpg

Jicko
06-12-2009, 5:53 PM
Here is my all LMT 14.5

What muzzle device is that?

cmace22
06-12-2009, 5:55 PM
What muzzle device is that?

PWS FSC556. Absolutly love it. Its funny I have a couple of ex mil friends that shot it the other day and just about messed themselve on how little muzzle rise it had. Its LOUD though.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/gunstuffforsale006.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/noserial.jpg

Jicko
06-12-2009, 6:50 PM
I *just* got a DNTC and I am going to try it out tomorrow.... :D

cmace22
06-12-2009, 6:56 PM
I *just* got a DNTC and I am going to try it out tomorrow.... :D

had the DNTC on an SPR build i did a while back. They shoud fuction 100% the same in the muzzle climb dept.

Carpenter 409
06-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Like this? Factory Colt mate with factory LMT ..... :D

http://images22.fotki.com/v815/photos/6/26966/7638413/IMG_5417-vi.jpg

That's basically what I want to build, I have a short barreled Bird cage already So i'm looking for a stripped upper, I know what parts I want just not sure what upper to use.

cmace22
06-13-2009, 4:03 PM
If you are just looking for a stripped upper.... Stag, RRA, CMMG, VLTOR, DD and LaRue are just a few that will do just fine.

asintado
06-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry for the stupid OT question but do uppers need to be transferred just like lowers. I've only recently began looking into ARs

Freagan
06-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry for the stupid OT question but do uppers need to be transferred just like lowers. I've only recently began looking into ARs

Nope, only the lowers are considered to be the actual firearm thus needing the transfer

rodog
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
No they don't. I believe you are gtg except be careful getting short barreled uppers (e.g. less than 14.5 without permanent flash to make it 16 inch) and pistol uppers (without having a registered pistol lower). Otherwise, what "Freagan" said.

Shenaniguns
06-14-2009, 6:16 AM
16.1 and shorter I'll take Noveske
18" Noveske or Larue Tactical

ddimick
06-14-2009, 8:47 AM
I'd add Sabre Defense to the list of quality uppers.

hawk1547
06-14-2009, 9:14 AM
Add Bushmaster and Armalite to the list of quality uppers out there.

Carpenter 409
06-14-2009, 2:30 PM

If it has a Serial Number then yes it more than likely needs to be registered. AR's have a number on the lower receiver so uppers don't need one.

ENTHUSIAST
06-14-2009, 6:41 PM
Add Bushmaster... to the list of quality uppers out there.

^^^ WTF?!? :nono: :rofl2: :nono: :rofl:

Ishoot
06-14-2009, 6:48 PM
[QUOTE=cmace22;2623928]PWS FSC556. Absolutly love it. Its funny I have a couple of ex mil friends that shot it the other day and just about messed themselve on how little muzzle rise it had. Its LOUD though.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/gunstuffforsale006.jpg

I'm installing this on a Sig 556...Looks great with equal function. :mnl:

Jicko
06-15-2009, 8:10 AM
Add Bushmaster... to the list of quality uppers out there.

^^^ WTF?!? :nono: :rofl2: :nono: :rofl:

Whoever would put Bushmaster along the same line with Colt, Noveske etc in terms of quality, just don't know what they are talking about. :rofl:

HK Dave
06-15-2009, 8:15 AM
LMT Piston
DDM4
Noveske Light VIS

aplinker
06-15-2009, 3:47 PM
oh my... this thread is full of fail :)

So many recommendations (many silly) and NOT ONE person asked what he wants to do with the rifle?

And PLEASE don't abuse a rifle by adding an ARMS rail. They're awkward, heavy and just not a good choice. Look into Daniel Defense rail if you want one. If you just love the ARMS look, though, more power to you.

If you're looking for an M4-style upper, the top manufacturers (normally available) are BCM, LMT and Sabre. Premium end is Noveske. If you're lucky and you can find one, Colt is excellent, as well, but arguably is no better than BCM, LMT or Sabre. If you're extremely lucky, there's always KAC SR-16 uppers.

Depending on barrel length you might consider midlength gassed uppers (just tones things down, smooths operation and provides a more reliable upper).

Good luck with your search... top-end stuff is hard to find.

cmace22
06-15-2009, 4:20 PM
First, decide what the rifle is going to be used for. Then determine what your needs and wants are in that upper. Next search for manufacturers that provide that particular upper. Pick a manufacturer that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. Last purchase said upper and have fun.

oh my... this thread is full of fail :)

So many recommendations (many silly) and NOT ONE person asked what he wants to do with the rifle?
And PLEASE don't abuse a rifle by adding an ARMS rail. They're awkward, heavy and just not a good choice. Look into Daniel Defense rail if you want one. If you just love the ARMS look, though, more power to you.

If you're looking for an M4-style upper, the top manufacturers (normally available) are BCM, LMT and Sabre. Premium end is Noveske. If you're lucky and you can find one, Colt is excellent, as well, but arguably is no better than BCM, LMT or Sabre. If you're extremely lucky, there's always KAC SR-16 uppers.

Depending on barrel length you might consider midlength gassed uppers (just tones things down, smooths operation and provides a more reliable upper).

Good luck with your search... top-end stuff is hard to find.

It wasnt a question but a statement covering the same topic. I didnt ask what The OP wanted to do with the rifle, cause I really dont care. Its get old telling people what they want. Im a firm believer in doing your own research first, asking questions after you have a good idea on what you want. My post did cover a really good way to find what suits the op best. ;)

I would agree with the rest of your post, Noveske is only premium because thats what they charge!

aplinker
06-15-2009, 4:47 PM
It wasnt a question but a statement covering the same topic. I didnt ask what The OP wanted to do with the rifle, cause I really dont care. Its get old telling people what they want. Im a firm believer in doing your own research first, asking questions after you have a good idea on what you want. My post did cover a really good way to find what suits the op best. ;)

I would agree with the rest of your post, Noveske is only premium because thats what they charge!

calm down... don't get
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/ultragig/Pantiesinabunch.jpg

:D Wasn't directed at you, ese.

The OP needs to say what he's looking for, that's it. Noveske is premium because they use better parts (like the VLTOR MUR, rails, Pac-Nor barrels, etc) and charge about $300 for the logo, too.

cmace22
06-15-2009, 4:57 PM
calm down... don't get
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/ultragig/Pantiesinabunch.jpg

:D Wasn't directed at you, ese.

The OP needs to say what he's looking for, that's it. Noveske is premium because they use better parts (like the VLTOR MUR, rails, Pac-Nor barrels, etc) and charge about $300 for the logo, too.

Im liking that pick.

If i go off on another rant will ya post another one like it :tt1:

Im thinking 350 for the logo.