PDA

View Full Version : Plank Owners

PatriotnMore
06-12-2009, 9:35 AM
Seeing someone with this screen name got me curious, and I am wondering how many here are "Plank Owners"? I am not.

What ship, unit,?... When/time frame, and any interesting stories and news, or how have thing changed since then?

bohoki
06-12-2009, 9:40 AM
FVNEJQfl46M?

goathead
06-12-2009, 1:53 PM
must be a navy thing

Desert_Rat
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
must be a navy thing

YEP It's a Navy thing.Has to do with being the first crew of a brand spankin' new ship IIRC

plankowner
06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I guess that question would involve me , I was a plankowner on board USS Vincennes CG-49 that was comissioned in 1985, and she was the one that shot down an Iranian jet airliner killing all 290 people on board, and she was the first Ticonderoga class ship to enter the Pacific.
I had just transfered off her just before the deployment when she shot down the airliner but I was still in the gulf with her because I was transfered to the USS Long Beach CGN-9 and we did the west pac together, but now she is no longer because it is now decomissioned in 2005 alot of good memories.

plankowner
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
also as far as how have things changed , I got out in 1990 and we did not have women on board war ships ! dont know if that was a good thing or bad thing !

RANDO
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
thats why i like the coast guard we just recently (2007) decommissioned a boat that was commissioned in 1942

joeyriv
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Plank owner of USF INTERFET... then it became part of the UN, but I luckily rotated before that debacle.

Desert_Rat
06-15-2009, 7:32 PM
Not to thread jack,but speaking of decomissioning ships,I was asked to be the Color Sgt.at the decomissioning of the USS Lewis B. Puller. and as much as I wanted to do it,the ship was being sold to the Chinese so I actually declined to be part of that.:ack2:

BB63Squid
06-22-2009, 9:54 PM
Plankowner USS Missouri

PatriotnMore
06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Plankowner USS Missouri

Seriously?

PatriotnMore
06-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Funny, the sub tender Dixon, ballast point, was one of the first to have women on board when I T.A.D, 79-80. I am surprised none in your time frame.

Some of the few interesting stories I have to share concerning my enlistment with other guys that served, since I never left S.D. the entire time.

also as far as how have things changed , I got out in 1990 and we did not have women on board war ships ! dont know if that was a good thing or bad thing !

BB63Squid
06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Seriously?

I know what you are thinking....no I'm not that old. I was the commissioning crew for when it was recommissioned on pier 30/32 in San Francisco, May 10 1986.

Me next to turret #1 back in the day..

http://scottvmx.com/Navy/Missouri/Scottmo1.gif

PatriotnMore
06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Ahh, that pic is bad azz. When men played with real guns.:cool2:

I know what you are thinking....no I'm not that old. I was the commissioning crew for when it was recommissioned on pier 30/32 in San Francisco, May 10 1986.

Me next to turret #1 back in the day..

http://scottvmx.com/Navy/Missouri/Scottmo1.gif

BB63Squid
06-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Funny, the sub tender Dixon, ballast point, was one of the first to have women on board when I T.A.D, 79-80. I am surprised none in your time frame.

Some of the few interesting stories I have to share concerning my enlistment with other guys that served, since I never left S.D. the entire time.

My cousin was on the Prairie and they had gals onboard also. He said it caused all sorts of chaos.

PatriotnMore
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
LOL, will have to share some stories some time.:D

My cousin was on the Prairie and they had gals onboard also. He said it caused all sorts of chaos.

BB63Squid
06-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Ahh, that pic is bad azz. When men played with real guns.:cool2:

Yeah, was on her from 85 (Long Beach yards precomm) till 89 when I got out. Got gonged off because I was a plankowner...that was wicked cool!

I remember my first day in Long Beach, I actually went down into the bottom of the drydock and walk underneath her.

PatriotnMore
06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Man, I just got a chill reading that, the history of that ship and men. Wow!
Yeah, was on her from 85 (Long Beach yards precomm) till 89 when I got out. Got gonged off because I was a plankowner...that was wicked cool!

I remember my first day in Long Beach, I actually went down into the bottom of the drydock and walk underneath her.

BB63Squid
06-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Man, I just got a chill reading that, the history of that ship and men. Wow!

The history was cool. A few times we brought the old salts onboard for a day cruise. I just sat like a kid in the candy store listening to their stories from Korea and a few from WWII.

When I was on her our Command Master Chief BMCM Davidson's first ship was the Missouri in 47 he rose through the ranks and made it back to the Mo to become the CMC 40 years later. That was a man I had respect for.

atc4usmc
06-27-2009, 4:31 PM
I am one of very few Marines that "own a plank" from my old unit. we established a new unit (it was a training unit) called Naval Air Maintenance Training Unit in Cherry Point NC. We established on Sept 12 2001. We were orginally set to do it on the 11th but.......well you know.

liketoshoot
06-27-2009, 7:44 PM
I am not a plank owner , but I was the first replacement crew member on the USS Richard B. Russell SSN687 out of Groton, Conn. it is now decommissioned
this was 1972

SDJim
06-27-2009, 9:44 PM
The history was cool. A few times we brought the old salts onboard for a day cruise. I just sat like a kid in the candy store listening to their stories from Korea and a few from WWII.

When we commissioned the USS Bunker Hill (CG-52) in Boston. The USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) Assn had the run of the ship for the couple of days before hand. They are the folks that raised the money that allowed the commissioning to take place there. They also threw us one hell of a commissioning dinner AND donated $50K to the ships MWR Fund.
They had some of the best stories. There was a few times that I found myself up in the Chief's Mess for hours at a time listening to them.
Being on the commissioning crew of the USS Emory S. Land (AS-39) wasn't early as interesting.

dwa
06-27-2009, 9:54 PM
Plankowner USS Missouri

im guessing on the second go around?

Once A Marine
06-29-2009, 9:13 PM
I have a Plank Owner certificate for SWFLant.

PatriotnMore
06-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Not familiar with that, could your expand?

I have a Plank Owner certificate for SWFLant.

vlsgmc
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Not to thread jack,but speaking of decomissioning ships,I was asked to be the Color Sgt.at the decomissioning of the USS Lewis B. Puller. and as much as I wanted to do it,the ship was being sold to the Chinese so I actually declined to be part of that.:ack2:

USS LEWIS B. PULLER was the 15th ship in the OLIVER HAZARD PERRY class and its homeport was San Diego in California. After being decommissioned the ship transfered to the Egyptian Navy on September 18, 1998 and was renamed TOSHKA.

SDJim
06-30-2009, 6:11 AM
Not familiar with that, could your expand?
Strategic Weapons Facility Atlantic @ Kings Bay, GA. . . Sister facility to SWFPAC up @ SubBase Bangor, WA.

PatriotnMore
06-30-2009, 7:56 AM
thanks, brother.

Strategic Weapons Facility Atlantic @ Kings Bay, GA. . . Sister facility to SWFPAC up @ SubBase Bangor, WA.

chiefcrash
06-30-2009, 9:08 AM
In the Navy at least, a "Plank Owner" is a member of a ship/unit at the time of the ship/unit's creation.

The term comes from when the old wooden ships were getting built. A crew would be assigned before the ship was completed, and they would have to sleep on the deck (until the crew quarters were completed). Each sailor would pick out a plank on the deck, and claim it as his (this plank is softer, this one gets a better breeze, this one's in the center so it doesn't sway with the boat as much, etc)

In theory, when the ship was to be decommissioned and disassembled, a plank owner was entitled to return and take his plank home with him.

At least, this is how our skipper explained it to us. I'm a plank owner for the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Daytona Beach, FL) NROTC unit.

chiefcrash
06-30-2009, 9:10 AM

Oooooh, did you get to play with all the tridents?

Once A Marine
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Oooooh, did you get to play with all the tridents?

Not really. Got to watch them load/unload missiles. Nifty operation - even saw them drop a missile once, which is an amazing thing considering it's 44 feet long/tall, and the propellant can take out the entire base (as happened in the USSR once).

Needless to say, there were a lot of brown star clusters fired that day.

chiefcrash
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Not really. Got to watch them load/unload missiles. Nifty operation - even saw them drop a missile once, which is an amazing thing considering it's 44 feet long/tall, and the propellant can take out the entire base (as happened in the USSR once).

Needless to say, there were a lot of brown star clusters fired that day.

yea, when the ROTC unit went to visit, i was a little surprised by how lax everyone seemed there, especially knowing what they were sitting on...

Do they have a damage control training house/fire house there? I can't remember if we did the firefighting crash course at Kings Bay or somewhere else...

Once A Marine
06-30-2009, 2:19 PM
I'm not sure about dct/fire. I was volunteering for a while in St. Marys FD, and it would have probably caught my eye if they did (this was 88-90), but I cannot be sure one way or the other.

chiefcrash
06-30-2009, 4:18 PM
I'm not sure about dct/fire. I was volunteering for a while in St. Marys FD, and it would have probably caught my eye if they did (this was 88-90), but I cannot be sure one way or the other.

ah, you wouldn't know then. The fire house was bright, shiney, and new back in 2003...

I always found it crazy that they figured out how to launch those things from underwater without getting them wet...

SDJim
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
yea, when the ROTC unit went to visit, i was a little surprised by how lax everyone seemed there, especially knowing what they were sitting on... On the USS Lincoln I slept above #2 reactor, which was above fuel tanks holding over million gallons of jet fuel which was just aft of the magazines holding some where around a few metric butt tons of ordnance (I can't find the load out numbers for the 2002 cruise). It's something you just don't think about on a daily basis.